Deceitful tenant not paying rent- how do I remove her?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deceitful tenant not paying rent- how do I remove her?

In a recently purchased flat of mine (my first), a new tennant falsified her occupation and financial situation, stating that she was more than able to pay the required rent.
    Althought she came up with the first months rent and deposit, by the time it was due for them to pay the next month, they defaulted.
    Upon contacting her, for nearly three days, all whilst not being able to get hold of her, due to her phone being off - she initially gave me a story that she had been robbed and didnt have the money to pay me.
    I then managed to get it out of her that she was actually a council tennant who was waiting for her change of address to be put through, promising me that by the time the next months rent was due, the council would have back valued the last month's to me, and would pay up front for the next month.

What do I do here and where do I turn?
    Surely I have re-course to get her removed from my premises seeing as though she deceived me about her employment and level of income! I dont want this to turn into an ongoing saga that involves stories every month and would just like to get her out.

Please can someone advise / help?
    Thx.

Originally posted by BLH View Post
    In a recently purchased flat of mine (my first), a new tennant falsified her occupation and financial situation, stating that she was more than able to pay the required rent.
    Althought she came up with the first months rent and deposit, by the time it was due for them to pay the next month, they defaulted.
    Upon contacting her, for nearly three days, all whilst not being able to get hold of her, due to her phone being off - she initially gave me a story that she had been robbed and didnt have the money to pay me.
    I then managed to get it out of her that she was actually a council tennant who was waiting for her change of address to be put through, promising me that by the time the next months rent was due, the council would have back valued the last month's to me, and would pay up front for the next month.

What do I do here and where do I turn?
    Surely I have re-course to get her removed from my premises seeing as though she deceived me about her employment and level of income! I dont want this to turn into an ongoing saga that involves stories every month and would just like to get her out.

Please can someone advise / help?
    Thx.
    You need to provide more details, i.e. what length of tenancy etc

But a contract has been signed and you will need to see out the period of the tenancy, of course if she defaults on her rent again and owes 2 months rent, then you can evict on a Section 8 procedure.

Comment

Originally posted by porridge View Post
      You need to provide more details, i.e. what length of tenancy etc

But a contract has been signed and you will need to see out the period of the tenancy, of course if she defaults on her rent again and owes 2 months rent, then you can evict on a Section 8 procedure.
      Do not allow T to run-up two months' rent arrears under g8. T is a fraud re application, so serve s.8 Notice under g14 (inc. g10/11, if appropriate)- no waiting period AT ALL, and you can then immediately begin proceedings.
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Thanks all for the swift responses. The tenant signed a one year lease with a six month break clause. I am interested in following up on the advice from Jeffrey, only I'm not sure what the codes g.8/ g.10 / g.11 & g.14 mean. Can anyone eloborate?

Comment

Originally posted by BLH View Post
          Thanks all for the swift responses. The tenant signed a one year lease with a six month break clause. I am interested in following up on the advice from Jeffrey, only I'm not sure what the codes g.8/ g.10 / g.11 & g.14 mean. Can anyone eloborate?
          These are some of the [numbered] grounds for possession in Schedule 2 to Housing Act 1988.
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

See Ground 17 "false statement given by tenant" - may find helpful!

Rachel

Comment

Originally posted by rachel230 View Post
              See Ground 17 "false statement given by tenant" - may find helpful!

Rachel
              Er, in my post #3, I meant to nclude g17 (not g14) re fraud, although g14 might apply too. Sorry for confusion!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• council won't help with Noise and Nuisance
                Darnok
                My tenant is having a hard time with a neighbour, who's installed a door alarm to catch the burglar who steals from her fridge (!?). My tenant is frustrated by the alarm going off 3 times a night, probably due to the neighbour opening the door herself. I've called council (landlord of the neighbour),...
                15-01-2018, 12:32 PM
              • Reply to council won't help with Noise and Nuisance
                jpkeates
                The tenant can't pull out of the contract because the property is uninhabitable if it isn't.
                An alarm going off at night isn't enough to make the place uninhabitable, it's just a pain and the tenant needs to sort it out.

The people the tenant will have to involve to have the property...
                16-01-2018, 09:35 AM
              • Neighbours are claiming for smoke damage to their property.
                Hallie
                My tenants accidentally set fire to my property causing catastrophic damage. Unfortunately I had let my building insurance lapse and so have had to pay for all refurbishment and damage myself. The house is still uninhabitable with no tenants living there. The fire service came out and the cause...
                15-01-2018, 19:16 PM
              • Reply to Neighbours are claiming for smoke damage to their property.
                Hallie
                Thank you Mr B your advice is certainly reassuring...
                16-01-2018, 09:32 AM
              • Small damage to landlords wooden floor...
                Killuzka
                Hello,

​​​​​Im new here so I hope i posted in right section.

​​​​​​I have a problem, I was helping out a friend and I kept her cat at my place for a few days, because it all came so fast i had to make a toilet really fast for cat .. it was from cardboard...
                15-01-2018, 19:42 PM
              • Reply to Small damage to landlords wooden floor...
                jpkeates
                The landlord is able to claim for any loss beyond fair wear and tear that occurs during the tenancy.
                The damage isn't fair wear and tear, so the landlord can ask you for compensation.

Will the landlord even notice before you move out - which is when any claim can be made?
                Otherwise,...
                16-01-2018, 09:26 AM
              • Am I locked in to agency fees?
                SaurfLondonLad
                I am just coming to the end of my first year of being a LL on a property which I self manage. My tenants are great and I now wish to ditch my agent to save them and me money and collect the rent myself. The agent's contract does clearly state that fees are liable for as long as the tenant resides. This...
                15-01-2018, 20:02 PM
              • Reply to Am I locked in to agency fees?
                jpkeates
                Don't lie to the agent - they're not (that) stupid, and then you would owe them the fees if they claimed them.

I'd try and negotiate a deal - for most businesses a large chunk of income today is worth more than the promise of income month by month.

The agent's business model...
                16-01-2018, 09:24 AM
              • Termination of Tenancy
                janeygee
                Hi,
                looking for some practical advice here, first post.I shall try to hit the main points and be brief.
                I have been renting my house to a couple whilst I have been out of the UK with a private rental contract, visiting the house once a year. They have been renting for 10 years , on a one...
                15-01-2018, 15:34 PM
              • Reply to Termination of Tenancy
                jpkeates
                The tenant "gave" the landlord the light fittings and power sockets when they fitted them to the landlord's property.
                They can't return the property with holes where they used to be - that isn't fair wear and tear.
                They could replace them with sockets and light fittings equivalent...
                16-01-2018, 09:19 AM
              Working...
              X