gonna need a barrister I think...

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • gonna need a barrister I think...

    it's the first time I will have had to actually go to court to recover rent monies. I will try to do as much of the work myself, but I fear I will need legal representation when it comes to the crunch. Any advice would hugely be appreciated on how to find a good barrister please.

    I guess he would probably need to be based around the area where the property in question is located?

  • #2
    You don't need a barrister

    Why would you need a barister?? You can do it all yourself, there is no need to throw more money away!!
    GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

    Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!


    • #3
      well that's what I was hoping but this case isn't totally without complications and this will be the first time I'm doing this... but yes will have a go at doing as much of it myself as I can, I guess I was after someone to check I was going about it the right way with really...


      • #4
        Are you a member of the Residential Landlords Association? Your £70 a year (or whatever it is) gives you free access to a solicitor at the end of a 'phone. If you just need someone to confirm that you're going about things the right way then that might do the trick.


        • #5
          Hi - Have been in this position myself with regard to going to court. I had great help from my local Tenants relations officer at my local council. They are usually solicitors and know the pros and cons. Also being local they are easy to access. Just ring your council and have a chat with him or her. Mine has saved me a great deal of money, time and hassle. Their job is to mediate and advise both landlords and tenants.Most people do not make enough use of them.
          You could also try www. landlordlaw for help. Best of luck Susan


          • #6
            gonna need a barrister I think-----

            The problem with hiring a Barrister is that you can't recover your legal expenses through the Court. The rent arrears would have to be a very large amount to justify the cost of a Solicitor or a Barrister.
            It IS nerve-wracking to represent yourself in Court; however its not quite as bad as you may be imagining. It helps to write a letter to the Court, presenting your case and including all relevant facts and figures. Check your facts and figures very carefully for accuracy. Deliver this by hand to the Court, as soon as possible and well before the Hearing. If possible, you should also let the people you are suing, have a copy of the letter. It will be much easier to present your case effectively in Court if everyone concerned has something in writing to refer to.
            Good Luck.


            Latest Activity


            • One tenant moving out and two remaining - who pays for the checkout/inventory?
              Q1 – Where is the rented property located (England / Wales / Scotland / N Ireland)? England

              Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this e.g. sole tenant / multiple tenant / room only? Three people all listed as the Tenant under the agreement

              Q3 – What date did current...
              26-07-2017, 16:38 PM
            • Reply to One tenant moving out and two remaining - who pays for the checkout/inventory?
              'The Tenant' (all 3), can vacate at end of fixed term with no Notice. If remainers sign a new AST to commence after fixed termpref naming new joint, this sould replace original AST. Deed of Surrender is 'belt & brace'.

              If incomer signs a Deed of Assignment they only inherit the term...
              28-07-2017, 00:28 AM
            • Lease extension
              Hi All, I have approached the freeholder on an informal basis to extend the lease of a flat I own as a rental. He has come up with reasonable price for the premium to extend to 125 years from now but wants to double the ground rent every 25 years (from £80 to £160 p/a initially). My solicitor has...
              27-07-2017, 23:59 PM
            • Reply to One tenant moving out and two remaining - who pays for the checkout/inventory?
              I think the problem may be that they are not really 'moving out'. There is a long thread elsewhere on the forum that may be of interest. Although unresolved, it suggests that if some of them don't move out then an SPT will arise automatically for all of them. I really don't want to restart that discussion...
              27-07-2017, 23:18 PM
            • TO SELL OR (VS) TO RENT ? 91 Years Lease Flat In London...
              Dear All
              Going through some changes...
              I am just going through divorce that need to be Absolute in approx 2 months.
              Also have just left work after 8 years...really need new challenge as they said.

              I do have one buy to let property in London that have been renting for approx...
              25-07-2017, 14:05 PM
            • Reply to TO SELL OR (VS) TO RENT ? 91 Years Lease Flat In London...
              The Leasehold Advisory Service has an online lease extension calculator that should give you a rough idea of the cost.
              27-07-2017, 22:47 PM
            • Extremely anti-social and criminal tenant -Section 8
              I have an extremely anti-social and criminal tenant. My neighbours think she is possibly a sex worker and drugs abusing and dealing. She has made a witnessed and CCTV sited assault on one neighbour and has verbally abused others. 3 crimes have been reported and the local authority talk about making...
              26-07-2017, 16:09 PM
            • Reply to Extremely anti-social and criminal tenant -Section 8
              I have experienced far more dificult cases than that from my neighbour's tenants with my front window and my flat door window cracked.

              Make an offer she cannot refuse. Carrots work better.

              Local Authorities are slow moving because shortage of housing is a problem.
              27-07-2017, 22:25 PM
            • Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
              Our rented flat was broken into, in the process the Yale lock was broken and cost £100 to repair. The landlord is refusing to pay this on the basis we didn’t also lock the door with the mortice lock. We didn’t use the mortice lock as it wasn’t working although the landlord did not know this....
              25-07-2017, 11:40 AM
            • Reply to Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
              Since the Yale was broken it proves the tenants took responsible measures for the security: they locked the door.
              The yale is necessary for security. It is sufficient and safe to use in case of a fire because you could get out quickly operating the lock with the thump ie you don't want to be looking...
              27-07-2017, 22:13 PM