Anyone have a decent AST contract?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I rented a flat with a prepayment meter a few years ago and to be honest it was a real pain because the meter was high up so we couldn't tell how much credit we had left until it beeped telling us that there was a few pence left and obviously it's always in the evening or at the weekends.

Comment

Re prepayment meters - I agree with Jennifer. I used them for a year in one house and had moans all the time from the tenants. They said the same thing, that they never knew when it would run out and it was always at an inconvenient time. Give them a miss. Also whether the energy is more expensive or not (I'm not sure) tenants always think it is. And if they start thinking that way you end up with an unhappy relationship between you which can escalate.
      I usually have a chat with the tenant when they move in, and ask them to contact me if they want to hang things up, or alter items. I keep things friendly and explain why I may not what them to do something.
      I agree with Mr. Shed about the inventory. I presume you go around with the tenant when they move in. If something is marked or brand new I point this out to them and detail it. The other thing you can do which can be useful if you ever have to go to court, is to take photographs of the rooms as they are when tenant moves in. But don't go to court unless its for a large amount or the tenant is really terrible. Its just not worth the hassle.Better to write it off to experience. Best wishes Susan

Comment

As I hope my tenants will stay long term, I always tell them that the supply of utilities is up to them. They can change supplier if they wish to go for the "cheapest" deal and if they want to swop to pre-payment meters then that is up to them. When they leave, finding out who the current suppliers are is relatively straightforward if the tenant has not supplied this information.
        I know that there are a few suppliers out there who will pay a kickback to a landlord based on a tenants energy usage, but I don't bother with this, I consider that my rental income is sufficient, and hope that as I have tried to be decent with my tenants they will be decent with me when they leave.

P.P.
        Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X