Council improvement notice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sounds painful man, yeah this business is not an easy one thats why i stay away from HMO even though its defo more money its also potentially more headache , something no one really needs out there, hope you manage to get these things sorted

unfortunately this business is an ungrateful one, tenants expect when the rent is below market and resent it at that AND then go ape when its at market rates

just comes with the territory unfortunately , but rest assured its not YOU as the person that they are resentful at its the LANDLORD but like most things in life we are lucky to be owning these properties imagine if it was the other way around

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
      And you wonder why Local Authorities have a reputation as jobworths.
      The upgrades seemed fair and were overdue.

Comment

Originally posted by blinko View Post
        sounds painful man, yeah this business is not an easy one thats why i stay away from HMO even though its defo more money its also potentially more headache
        I actually find dealing with families more stressful. At least with unrelated sharers, if one loses their job they can leave and find a replacement. Not so with a family unit. In my experience, loss of an income stream (job or through divorce) inevitably leads to pleas of rent reduction, late or no rent and certainly no rent increases. Eviction is an option, but children tend to find their way into any conversation, "not sure where we will find another place to live", "children would have to move schools" etc. I am too soft to evict likkle babbas so I steer clear of renting to families.
        assume everything I write is preceded by IMHO...

Comment

shoobydoo,

yeah its a good point, very good point raised about families, and most probably sharers not gonna give you that kind of headache. it is what it is, thats the business more headache usually = more money

Comment

Originally posted by Hudson01 View Post
            I wonder if they have peeked outside in the new rental world ? I bet they will be very surprised, and shocked, they may not leave at all....
            They have indeed peeked and they cannot find anywhere else to live. I served S21 in the end and also informed them of the further rent increase in October.

To try to avoid having to go to court, I was a bit cheeky and said that I could not give a landlord reference if I was essentially evicting them, only if tenants left voluntarily. They then served notice.

So, given that I used a landlord reference as leverage, is their notice valid? Would it be considered invalid due to it being coerced?

I am a bit concerned that they still might not actually leave, so is it possible to sign up new tenants on a contract that says "Subject to my getting vacant possession"?

Comment

You should not be offering anyone a tenancy agreement until these tenants are definitely gone. Void periods are just part and parcel of being a landlord. Do not dick about someone else’s living arrangements in an attempt to have no void. Not only is it a shitty thing to do but it could cost you.

Comment

That's fine. I don't want to mess anyone about.

But what is the process if they stay beyond their last day?

Comment

Assuming that their notice is valid then their tenancy will end on expiry. You would be at liberty to change the locks when they are all out, but if there are children involved you might instead get a court order. You can also charge double the rent as a daily charge.

Comment

If they've given valid notice, if they don't leave they're trespassing and you can apply to the courts immediately for a possession order.

But most tenants who serve notice do leave.
                    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                    X