Disposing of tenant's girlfriend's possessions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disposing of tenant's girlfriend's possessions

My tenant signed a 6 month AST on March 19 in his name only with a relative acting as guarantor. The tenant's girlfriend also moved in but chose not to be included on the AST.
    The tenant asked to end the agreement after only 2 months because their relationship had broken down and the girlfriend was attracting very unsavoury people to the house. Both the tenant and his girlfriend left the house immediately (to separate addresses) leaving behind furniture and personal possessions and the guarantor paid the third month's rent up to June 18.
    With their agreement I changed the locks because of the unpleasant friends who had been allowed access to the house and only one of two sets of keys was returned to me.
    I agreed with the guarantor that I would not hold him to paying the full 6 months if I could re-let the house and if the girlfriend removed all the furniture and other belongings. The tenant had taken what he needed from the house and said he didn't want anything else as it belonged to the girlfriend.
    I have new tenants lined up who want to move in as soon as possible after June 19.
    Meanwhile the girlfriend has not turned up on the date she said she would to remove her belongings and although I have spoken to her on the phone I have a feeling she won't get herself organised before the 18 June.
    The guarantor and tenant have agreed that I can dispose of the furniture for a fee (slightly less that quotes given by local removal companies) which will be deducted from their deposit.
    I plan to do this after 18 June as I just want to draw a line under the tenancy and start afresh.
    My question is will I lay myself open to being sued by the girlfriend if I dispose of her possessions even though she is not on the tenancy agreement?
    Will email correspondance with the guarantor agreeing to this course of action cover me in the event of difficulties with the girlfriend?
    Many thanks for advice offered.

I feel sorry for your tenant, just be glad that you have a guarantor and that he has paid you.

You should always change locks, this is not only for your protection but also for your new tenants protection. If I was your tenant, I would be cheesed off if the old tenants walked in. And who do you think they would blame if yoru new tenant's stuff was stolen?

You should give a formal letter to both your tenant and guarantor that you will be disposing of the items, as they have agreed to terminate the tenancy early and that if they want the items stored that they should make arrangements for it. In your letter state reasonable access times and also confirm that you are in receipt of the key.

You could sell or give away the furniture, much better then ending up in landfills.
    Last edited by rajeshk4u; 12-06-2008, 11:46 AM. Reason: typos

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

If I write to the tenant and his guarantor to confirm that I intend to dispose of the furniture after 18 June and they agree that I can do so am I liable for any comeback from the girlfriend? Although she claims the furniture belongs to her she does not appear on the agreeement and I have no documents to show that she ever lived there.

I have read some advice in other threads about uncollected goods but can't see an answer about disposal of stuff that belongs to someone not on the tenancy agreement.

I don't intend to put everything in landfill - I will either give the stuff away to charity, leave anything in the house that the next tenants can use or give it away to other households who can make use of it.

Many thanks again for your replies and advice.

Comment

See http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...ad.php?t=11789, and the 1977 Act.
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

So, Jeffrey, am I right in thinking that it doesn't matter that the g/friend wasn't a named tenant - she is still covered by the law as a bailee?

Comment

Originally posted by bagpuss View Post
            So, Jeffrey, am I right in thinking that it doesn't matter that the g/friend wasn't a named tenant - she is still covered by the law as a bailee?
            You mean "bailor".
            1. BAILOR is owner of goods.
            2. BAILEE is person with custody or control of goods.
            3. Bailee's rights do not stem from landlordship. As the other thread explains, I use L and T as the most relevant and likely shorthand descriptions- but the Act applies to any bailee/bailor, irrespective of whether there is an L/T relationship too.
            4. So girl is capable of being bailor, just as much as T is.
            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

I see, thaks for the clarification Jeffrey.

Sorry about the bailor/ee mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                The link is now http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...read.php?t=201

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Increasing rent
                  by Hooper
                  I think the clause is probably invalid.

https://painsmith.co.uk/rent-increas...dic-tenancies/

This only applies if it is an SPT, rather than a CPT....
                  27-10-2021, 10:13 AM
                • Increasing rent
                  by Berlingogirl
                  Tenancy start date May 2020 in England. 6 month initial AST.
                  My tenancy agreement says
                  “The landlord may increase the rent after the first 52 weeks of the tenancy…..”
                  Is there a specific form I should use?...
                  26-10-2021, 13:33 PM
                  by jpkeates
                  I think the clause persists into any SPT, any date in the future is now "after the first 52 weeks of the tenancy".

Unless the other wording of the agreement changes the meaning of this snippet, the clause simply precludes the rent being increased between the end of the initial...
                  27-10-2021, 10:05 AM
                  by Hooper
                  If the fixed term has ended and it is now SPT, is it not the case that the rent review clause is of no effect and you can use s13?

Or is yours a contractual periodic tenancy?
                  27-10-2021, 09:52 AM
                • Reply to Loft conversion building regs
                  by Hudson01
                  I would not walk away.... i would run away ! Not a hope would i buy a property where there was zero building regs on something that should of had them, as said.... what other bodge jobs have been done. Not a chance.
                  27-10-2021, 09:28 AM
                • Loft conversion building regs
                  by Handy21
                  Hi guys this might have already been covered before but I’m currently purchasing a 3 bed house and near completion our solicitor has managed to find out they don’t have building regs for the 3rd bedroom (loft conversion). My question is can I let this as a 3 bedroom or is it legally only a 2 bedroom,...
                  27-10-2021, 07:16 AM
                  by jpkeates
                  Ah.

They won't agree the increase, so it's more of a point being made....
                  27-10-2021, 09:27 AM
                  by Berlingogirl
                  Thanks again. I think I’ll have to just write to them informing them of the increase. They’re under s21 and s8 for rent arrears. They decided to deduct from the rent , the cost of a repair bill to which I did not agree....
                  27-10-2021, 09:24 AM
                  by jpkeates
                  Unless the seller did their own conversion, any builder would have been aware of building regulation requirements, and so the seller would have been aware of the issue.
                  I'd guess that they either very naively thought no one would notice (unlikely) or hoped you'd be so far into the process that...
                  27-10-2021, 09:15 AM
                  by Handy21
                  Yes I was thinking they’ve left it so late on in the process in the hopes that when I found out I’d not bother backing out, the estate agents are trying to convince me that it would be fine to let out as a 3 bedroom but I have contacted other letting agents that have said it wouldn’t be allowed...
                  27-10-2021, 09:03 AM
                Working...
                X