Renters reform bill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kids are a big plus in a tenant for me.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
      My victorian is so large, I can't imagine anyone but a family wanting it.

The rules would still allow me to disallow pets if a current tenant wants to get some if I have a good reason right? Such as expensive wooden flooring that a deposit wont touch.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Macey View Post
        The rules would still allow me to disallow pets if a current tenant wants to get some if I have a good reason right? Such as expensive wooden flooring that a deposit wont touch.
        No one knows.
        It's only a white paper at the moment.
        And then it would probably be up to the courts.

I can't see why expensive floors would be a barrier to a pet (not my personal view, but it's how I read the proposed legislation).
        If your own lease said you couldn't have a dog, that's one thing, your commercial position isn't really relevant.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

each to their own, but I'll never accept kids again; I did once, against my better judgement, and had to refurb the house after.
          And the rules of the TDS specifically point out that you must expect more "normal wear and tear" if there are children.

Benefits, on the other hand, yes, so long as there is a very good guarantor.

And i even have a house where the tenants have 3 dogs, a cat, and a rabbit! But it's a rural house with a large garden, so I figure the target market are likely to be animal owners. And it's paid off as these tenants have stayed 7 years, knowing they have a good deal - whereas before, I kept getting people looking to buy in the area, who only stayed 6 months. Yes, the dogs have caused damage, and yes, i had to reduce deposit to 5 weeks which won't cover the gnawed architraves etc - but I'm quite relaxed about it as i have saved a fortune in reletting fees.

the point, of course, is that we all need to be free to choose according to our business model, type of house, type of tenant...
          rather than the law saying you have to take someone you consider unsuitable

Comment

There's no possible way to exclude chickens or rabbits from a lease already.
            Although the expectation is that they're there for food.

Comment

No one knows.
              It's only a white paper at the moment.
              And then it would probably be up to the courts.

I can't see why expensive floors would be a barrier to a pet (not my personal view, but it's how I read the proposed legislation).
              If your own lease said you couldn't have a dog, that's one thing, your commercial position isn't really relevant.
              Urine is death to parque/laminate. 90% of the house as such, I think the damage could be over 5k if unlucky.
              After paying £130 to replace just one side of one room's skirting because victorian skirting was often made of extra tall pieced together parts, there is no way in hell I can risk animals. Oh and I have to go to the hassle of glueing wooden strips to the damn thing or else pay £230 for 30mm thickness,I also still have yet to see whether there will be gaps when I fit it and I couldnt get a match.

Comment

Sorry for going off-topic but if I search for cat I get this, an error message about using an exploit.: https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/se...3A%22cat%22%7D

Even the website hates cats

Comment

Sorry for going off-topic but if I search for cat I get this, an error message about using an exploit.: https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/se...3A%22cat%22%7D

Even the website hates cats
                  Yes, me too

Comment

There's no possible way to exclude chickens or rabbits from a lease already.
                    Although the expectation is that they're there for food.
                    what, even in a flat?

Comment

Why do you consider them a plus btw?

Also seriously someone else just search cat
                      without capitalizing it. weird error, well for those that dont speak computer.

Comment

Originally posted by slopemaster View Post
                        what, even in a flat?
                        There's an exception it it's "prejudicial to health or a nuisance" which might apply.

It's a bit of legislation left over from 1950, so it isn't readily applied to the present day.
                        Why do you consider them a plus btw?.
                        Stability and length of tenancy.
                        My market is decent housing in nicer than average areas, with better than average local schools.
                        People want to live there, and schools and children are a good match.

Comment

Hope that the present political mess will bring this crazy bill toa halt.
                          Isnt it against magna carta to undermine our right to private property?

Comment

Magna Carta doesn't apply to us common people.

Your right to private property is in the Human Rights Act, though.
                            And, ironically, our best protection is likely to be the amount of property that is owned by non-UK citizens, particularly companies.

Comment

It doesn't seem to be helping them in Scotland. The Scottish rottweiler seems to have come up with the ideal way to get social housing at no cost to the tax payer. First abolish S21. Then make all S8 grounds discretionary et voila - tenants who can pay nothing and won't be evicted. LL provides them with free housing forever more, maintained at his own expense.

Comment

That is a scary story

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                                X