Using DPS Dispute Resolution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using DPS Dispute Resolution

The is the first time a tenant I have has moved out so never done anything with regards to returning a deposit before. The claim has gone into dispute which I'm absolutely fine with because they have made an absolute mess (damaged doors, kitchen units, plaster off the walls etc etc) so in terms of the evidence then it is all in my favour.

I guess the question I'm asking is has anyone used this before and what advice would you give in collating/providing the evidence?

Thanks...

Each scheme works slightly differently, I use DPS, and they are slow to say the least, you need to obtain all your quotes or costs and your check in and check out reports, you will only get one opportunity to provide your costs, and you can not keep adding to it once you've submitted it.

Comment

The check in / out inventory describing the damage.
      For each item of damage, show the damage, the loss you're claiming and the basis of the claim value (I use the same formula each time).
      Sometimes photos help and sometimes not.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

1. Read the DPS Terms & Conditions as well as all the guidance they provide, and follow that to the letter.
        2. Assume you will get inconsistent and unhelpful ‘advice’ from the ‘customer service’ team
        3. DPS will pay out on agreed items to the tenants leaving only the amount in dispute outstanding.
        4. Tenants don’t have to submit evidence to support their case and the burden of proof is on the LL, so all the works falls on you and there is no incentive whatsoever on the T to settle and save you the work, so they can be as difficult as they like and waste bucketloads of your time, no matter how good a LL you were, how good your evidence and how legitimate your claim.
        5. Do not assume DPS will reply to your emails within 5 biz days as promised, if at all, nor will they update the system, so you may be in complete limbo as to the current status of your claim - even when you think you’ve settled and told them as much, their delay could prejudice your position.

Honestly, unless you’re talking a decent amount of money, I would not bother with the pain of a claim. If you can suck up a small loss to induce the tenant to to settle, do it. If you do settle with your tenant, ensure you provide DPS with mirror emails so they can cross reference them. DPS could do it by applying logic but won’t, so make it doubly explicit and get the tenant to do the same, or you could be stuffed and the money paid out to the tenant in default.

Just been through this. Much stress and many hours of my life I will never get back.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Sec 21 & Notice to Quit in same claim
          by Lawcruncher
          I cannot cite an authority, but I think that that has to be void for uncertainty....
          09-08-2022, 09:59 AM
        • Sec 21 & Notice to Quit in same claim
          by Carly
          I have a dodgy LL who issues Licences to occupy instead of tenancies. He knows he's on dodgy ground and has failed to get possession against a previous person because of it. He wants me out on a no fault basis (has called me a professional tenant for daring to get him to supply hot water and other things)!...
          18-06-2022, 14:53 PM
        • Reply to S8 Court Hearing
          by theartfullodger
          Assuming this is arrears, be aware tenant may claim there are outstanding repairs to be done (you'd probably disagree..) and if judge agrees with T then arrears reduced by judge's assessment of cost of repairs.

I.e. be prepared

Why not s21 please?
          09-08-2022, 09:57 AM
        • S8 Court Hearing
          by Steampigs
          Hi All

I have a hearing scheduled to evict my tenant using a Section 8 notice.

I have lodged my claim online (PCOL), but what other documents will I require?
          I assume:-
          Tenancy Agreement
          S8 and Certificate of Service
          Updated amount of arrears
          Details...
          08-08-2022, 21:27 PM
          by Lawcruncher
          It certainly looks like a tenancy, but there has to be doubt that it is an AST. The agreement contains a clause which says: "You shall occupy...as a licensee and no relationship of landlord or tenant is created".

To repeat and expand on what I said above, schedule 2A to the Housing...
          09-08-2022, 09:56 AM
        • Reply to Can I serve Section 21 Notice?
          by jpkeates
          Having no tenancy agreement means that if the tenants don't leave and you go to court, you can't use the accelerated procedure.

From what you've written, the only issue seems to be the EPC.
          09-08-2022, 09:36 AM
        • Can I serve Section 21 Notice?
          by Rubz2009
          Hi was hoping for some advise.
          I have tentants in my property on a AST agreement which started in 2013 and has been rolling to date. Tenants are behind on their rent by a couple of months (during covid times which they believe they still do not need to pay) and also always late on monthly payments...
          08-08-2022, 18:49 PM
        • Reply to Dps deposit
          by artin
          "I got the estate agents to put the deposit into my DPS account "? The agent usually transfer deposit into my bank a/c and I put it into my DPS a/c, is it possible for the agent put into your DPS account?

DPS will issue "deposit certificate" within 1-3 days, stating...
          09-08-2022, 09:19 AM
        • Dps deposit
          by Jm1972
          Hi All,

i would be grateful if I could get some help please.

I got an estate agents to find me a tenant and do all the paperwork and get proof of service for everything, tenant moved in and paid deposit just over a week ago.

The estate agents took the deposit from...
          08-08-2022, 22:40 PM
          by jpkeates
          There's a term in the agreement that allows the landlord to increase the rent without limit at any time.

So, in theory, the tenant has already agreed to the increase.
          And the existence of that clause means a section 13 notice can't be used (and the landlord can't admit it's a tenancy,...
          09-08-2022, 08:37 AM
        Working...
        X