Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant wants me to install toilet sprayer/douche attachment

Hi

Just wanted to get some advice how to handle this rather unusual request from my tenant. The couple are from India, arrived in the UK a couple of years ago. This is their second rental property. They asked me to install a toilet sprayer (like a shower attachment but installed on the toilet itself) because they are accustomed to it (they told me in India this is very common and they do not use toilet paper). I said that I've never seen one like that before and I'll look into it. The tenants have been in the house for 7 months now, here on a working visa. Just worth mentioning that the bathroom is already equipped with a shower and a bath tap with a sprayer attachment on top of it. The bathroom is newly refurbished - completely redone/retiled last year - so all still quite new. I like to be a nice landlady and always try to do my best for the tenant, within reason of course.

Thank you in advance.

Will probably cost a huge amount of money and make it more difficult to let in future.
    let them pay and reinstate when they leave if they really want it

Comment

They're becoming more common, but they're still quite rare.
      Fitting them can be difficult because the design of UK toilets doesn't lend itself to installing a powered unit that accesses the water supply - something toilets in other parts of the world accommodate better.

They're meant to be very good for hygiene and health though.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by Section20z View Post
        Will probably cost a huge amount of money and make it more difficult to let in future.
        let them pay and reinstate when they leave if they really want it
        You are right there about the cost. Just rang my plumber and he has never fitted one before so couldn't quote.

Comment

Sounds a good idea, but i have never seen one and i guess most plumbers will be the same. I cannot see it will be too dificult to fit though, all you need is a cold supply pipe to the headunit on the toilet, the water that is used goes down the pan with what is in the toilet.

Its like a combi toilet/bidet

Comment

Not that expensive or that difficult to fit.

You can usually 'T' them into the cistern fill pipe. (Bit cold on the bum in winter, but I'm told you get used to it).

Here's one on Amazon for £22 with all the needed fittings, there are others there or at the usual builder/plumber centres:
            https://www.amazon.co.uk/DJROLL-Hand...862GKJ5T&psc=1
            https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=bidet+s...f=nb_sb_noss_2

Comment

Some of my tenants have what looks like a big plastic teapot by the loo. I guess it does the job.

Comment

Hi,

Relatively straight forward to install for a plumber. If you can see the cold feed going to the toilet then simply Tee off the existing cold feed to the toilet and connect to the new toilet 'sprayer'. The sprayer itself is probably £30. couple of hours for a plumber. So guess it depends on how good the tenants are?

If they want warm water then different ball game and the answer is no.

Not sure why it would make it more difficult to let in the future? most people wouldn't know what it is for. Would I install in my properties???? probably not. Or I may go 50/50 with the tenant if they are really good..??

Comment

They have rented "as seen" .If they really want a spray let them pay and also insist they reinstate system before they vacate.Would you install A tv if requested?

Comment

These are quite common in Islamic countries but it is just something else to go wrong IMO. Apart from a power shower in one of my lets there is a bath mixer set with shower attachment which can serve the same purpose.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

In Morocco you get a short piece of hose which you direct and use thumb to spray round the rim.

Comment

Originally posted by Codger View Post
                        Some of my tenants have what looks like a big plastic teapot by the loo. I guess it does the job.
                        Ha, thats exactly what they've got too :-)

Comment

OneSmallStep,

Very good advice! Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by gnvqsos View Post
                            They have rented "as seen" .If they really want a spray let them pay and also insist they reinstate system before they vacate.Would you install A tv if requested?
                            No, I wouldn't install a TV for them. They did it themselves. I see your point there.

Comment

I would inform them in writing if you accept that they can get someone to fit the device and re-install after the tenancy ends at their expense. If you don't want them to do it, then decline it in writing.

Like any water outlets, need to make sure they put an isolate valve on it so it can be closed in case of any leaks from the washer etc.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Issuing a Section 8 and Section 21 notice
                                by Folio1
                                So this is nice- the claim for legal help with the eviction with the landlord insurance through ARAG has been rejected because the tenant was £200 in arrears at the time the policy was taken out over a year ago. So basically I have been paying for something that could never have been used. What a joke....
                                09-08-2022, 11:30 AM
                              • Issuing a Section 8 and Section 21 notice
                                by Folio1
                                We have a property where the tenant has been building up arrears of rent for the past year and is now three months in arrears. It is a periodic assured shorthold tenancy. She has caused all sorts of problems, denying access to the property for inspection, making false complaints and various veiled threats...
                                30-06-2022, 14:56 PM
                              • Reply to Can I serve Section 21 Notice?
                                by jpkeates
                                No, you don't.
                                You will need one if you relet the property.

The EPC has to be at least rated "E", and will possibly need to be rated "C" in a few years time....
                                09-08-2022, 11:03 AM
                              • Can I serve Section 21 Notice?
                                by Rubz2009
                                Hi was hoping for some advise.
                                I have tentants in my property on a AST agreement which started in 2013 and has been rolling to date. Tenants are behind on their rent by a couple of months (during covid times which they believe they still do not need to pay) and also always late on monthly payments...
                                08-08-2022, 18:49 PM
                              • Reply to Can I serve Section 21 Notice?
                                by Rubz2009
                                Just found the EPC dated 2010 so i definitely would have provided this to the tenant when they moved in in 2013. I am aware EPC is only valid for 10 years therefore do i need to now provide them with an updated one?...
                                09-08-2022, 10:51 AM
                              • Reply to Sec 21 & Notice to Quit in same claim
                                by Lawcruncher
                                I cannot cite an authority, but I think that that has to be void for uncertainty....
                                09-08-2022, 09:59 AM
                              • Sec 21 & Notice to Quit in same claim
                                by Carly
                                I have a dodgy LL who issues Licences to occupy instead of tenancies. He knows he's on dodgy ground and has failed to get possession against a previous person because of it. He wants me out on a no fault basis (has called me a professional tenant for daring to get him to supply hot water and other things)!...
                                18-06-2022, 14:53 PM
                              • Reply to S8 Court Hearing
                                by theartfullodger
                                Assuming this is arrears, be aware tenant may claim there are outstanding repairs to be done (you'd probably disagree..) and if judge agrees with T then arrears reduced by judge's assessment of cost of repairs.

I.e. be prepared

Why not s21 please?
                                09-08-2022, 09:57 AM
                              • S8 Court Hearing
                                by Steampigs
                                Hi All

I have a hearing scheduled to evict my tenant using a Section 8 notice.

I have lodged my claim online (PCOL), but what other documents will I require?
                                I assume:-
                                Tenancy Agreement
                                S8 and Certificate of Service
                                Updated amount of arrears
                                Details...
                                08-08-2022, 21:27 PM
                              • Reply to Sec 21 & Notice to Quit in same claim
                                by Lawcruncher
                                It certainly looks like a tenancy, but there has to be doubt that it is an AST. The agreement contains a clause which says: "You shall occupy...as a licensee and no relationship of landlord or tenant is created".

To repeat and expand on what I said above, schedule 2A to the Housing...
                                09-08-2022, 09:56 AM
                              Working...
                              X