Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I obliged to....

Morning.

A tenant living in a property for the last three years has emailed saying there's no handrail on the stairs and they this is is dangerous. They also say there is a large step down to the shed.

Am I obliged to provide one? The stairs themselves are quite narrow and have wall either side so I feel a handrail would impact on access and the step down to the shed is, well, a step down.

Thanks for any advice.

Has something changed or happened recently to trigger the request.

You're obliged to let properties that are "safe", but there's no specific definition of that, and it's hard to see why a staircase that was acceptable a couple of years ago isn't safe now.
    But it's unusual for a staircase not to have some kind of handrail.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

As said, does this tenant now suddenly have a recent disability or health issue ? If the stairs are narrow then putting in a rail may cause issues with getting furniture up and down..... i would find more info on why the sudden request.

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

It's just something they flagged. I'm a little worried in now one of the falls down the stairs and I'm then liable as they mentioned it and I hadn't actioned.

Not sure I need to legally?

Comment

Keeping my suspicious mind in gear, you could be right.... if they have asked for a rail and then months later they '' fall'' due to a lack of rail..... could the take legal action ? Maybe, i assume you have landlords insurance with 3rd party liability etc.

Comment

You should fit a handrail at a height between 900mm and 1000mm from the pitch line of the stairs, or the floor for landings. This is approximately 35.4–39 inches. Staircases require at least one handrail: If the stairs are less than 1m wide: provide a handrail on one or both sides.

Are both side's just a wall?

Concerning the step the maximum rise for any step is 220mm (min. 150mm), you could possible put a ramp instead.

Comment

Thanks all.

Yes, both sides are just a wall so it may impact moving furniture.
              Useful information on the step thank you.

Comment

this is the steps. I'm not adverse to putting in a handrail
                Attached Files

Comment

I had one like this without a handrail. I'm not sure if it's a legal requirement but I decided I didn't want to take the risk and put one in. You can get a pig nose one that doesn't stick out as far as a normal handrail (this is what I used). The other possibility was a rope one but the proper brackets stick out a fair way. Possibly you could use something like a door knocker or tying up ring that sits flush to the wall.

Comment

It crosses my mind that if you install something that doesn't comply with regulations - eg a rope flush against the wall - then you might be more likely to be opening yourself up to a claim than if you'd left the stairs as they were when you bought the house.

Comment

There's a difference between the standards that you can apply to your own home and to a let property.

In your home, you owe a duty of care to anyone in it, so you don't want anything to be so unsafe as to risk someone hurting themselves.
                      But the duty isn't overburdening - you don't want a pit hidden under a carpet, but you're allowed to assume that the people in your home are generally normal and capable of looking after themselves.
                      Generally, your home shouldn't be unsafe to visitors.

Rental properties have to be "safe", which is a much higher standard - because that's significantly more than "not unsafe".

There are no black and white rules about this, but it's sensible to consider whether something is safe or not.
                      If you can show you've considered it, it's a useful defence, even if you get the decision wrong.
                      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Another suggestion, may be to get a stair fitting company in and tell you if you require it and what options you may have. Alternatively, you may want to get a risk assessment done (maybe from a local fire station, you may have to pay for it), that way you can see what you have to do.

Comment

I happy to provide a handrail, it seems the decent thing to but appreciate all the help. I was just wondering if I was legally obliged to but as others have said, there's potential liability if I don't.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Asking tenants in your rental property to receive your personal mail?
                            by DoricPixie
                            I do but as I don’t own a car in the UK the only thing the DVLA has ever posted to me was my driving licence when I renewed it last year. I then had the virtual post box physically post the licence to me parents’ house so I could collect it when I was back for Christmas....
                            08-08-2022, 23:23 PM
                          • Asking tenants in your rental property to receive your personal mail?
                            by Trooper149
                            Hey guys

Small one here in case anyone has had experience with this. About to purchase a place and want it to serve a few roles:
                            -obviously rent out the rooms to generate some cash
                            -serve as my personal address for bank, hmrc, dvla, etc.

In practice I would not...
                            07-08-2022, 14:51 PM
                          • Reply to Can I serve Section 21 Notice?
                            by DoricPixie
                            The Nearly Legal flow chart also covers EPC and How to Rent Guide as well as everything else to ensure the Section 21 notice is valid.

https://nearlylegal.co.uk/section-21-flowchart/...
                            08-08-2022, 23:19 PM
                          • Can I serve Section 21 Notice?
                            by Rubz2009
                            Hi was hoping for some advise.
                            I have tentants in my property on a AST agreement which started in 2013 and has been rolling to date. Tenants are behind on their rent by a couple of months (during covid times which they believe they still do not need to pay) and also always late on monthly payments...
                            08-08-2022, 18:49 PM
                            by Rubz2009
                            Thanks ash72, that gives some reassurance and understood that I would need to get possession from court for tenants to actually leave (if they don't willingly). I have 2 more final questions if you or anyone can kindly advise on.

1. The tenant's do not and have not understood the difference...
                            08-08-2022, 23:01 PM
                          • Dps deposit
                            by Jm1972
                            Hi All,

i would be grateful if I could get some help please.

I got an estate agents to find me a tenant and do all the paperwork and get proof of service for everything, tenant moved in and paid deposit just over a week ago.

The estate agents took the deposit from...
                            08-08-2022, 22:40 PM
                          • Reply to S8 Court Hearing
                            by ash72
                            On what grounds is the possession based on? If it is rent arrears you will need to have your bank statements to show If asked that the money hasn't come into your account, as well as the statements send of the arrears (ideally on a periodic basis). You should also ensure you have enough copies of any...
                            08-08-2022, 21:59 PM
                          • S8 Court Hearing
                            by Steampigs
                            Hi All

I have a hearing scheduled to evict my tenant using a Section 8 notice.

I have lodged my claim online (PCOL), but what other documents will I require?
                            I assume:-
                            Tenancy Agreement
                            S8 and Certificate of Service
                            Updated amount of arrears
                            Details...
                            08-08-2022, 21:27 PM
                            by ash72
                            Serving a notice (S21 or S8) does not mean the T's will leave when the date on the notice expires, only the courts can do this. The only advantage is the notice is shorter with a S8 then a S21, but a S21 if it is valid, the courts would have to grant possession, while a S8 they do not have to.
                            08-08-2022, 21:51 PM
                            by Rubz2009
                            Thanks that was helpful and answers my question about the deposit but no info on whether i should have provided EPC and how to rent guide (both which i did not). But let's say i should have and didn't, surely that doesn't mean the tenants can live in my house forever right? If i can't serve a section...
                            08-08-2022, 21:20 PM
                          Working...
                          X