Council staying eviction needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Council staying eviction needed

My daughter is a tenant in a house and has been for 7years without any problems for 6 of the years. Last year she had to give up working full time due to health reasons. Since then they've got worse, she suffered a blood clot which leaves her breathless and can't have oxygen as she has a gas hob. She hasn't been upstairs for over a year (toilet and bathroom downstairs) and sleep on the sofa each night. She has osteo arthritis and Pulmonary hypertension which has just been diagnosed this week. Cut a long story short she has signed on with the council and been accepted and can bid but they only have flats on first floors which as she can't climb stairs is no good. Her house has steps leading down to it so she can't get out on her mobility scooter which has led to being stuck in the house and so depression has settled in. The council now say they can't help her and also her LL has to serve a s21 to her and then evict her. But it has been agreed with both of them that it will be ended on the date in question. LL and T don't really want to go down the road of this eviction as it puts a lot of pressure on my daughter with her depression. My daughter has her husband and myself as carers and receives enhance PIP for care and mobility. Does the LL have to evict her out before the council will help her as they are saying they can't now help her with her health issues paying a big part as they don't have any properties that would be adequate for her and basically saying she needs help in the community which is silly as she can manage a lot for herself just not mobility very well. I also feel they are using this as an excuse not to help her. Thank you for any info

The council would have an additional obligation to find your daughter a home if she were homeless (and it wasn't because of anything she'd done).
    Which is possibly why they're suggesting that the landlord serve notice, because it might allow them to intervene in a different way.

I'm a little lost about what you/they expect though.
    If there are simply no suitable properties available, your daughter being evicted doesn't seem likely to cause one to somehow appear.

Unless the council are proposing her moving somewhere else in the country where a suitable property might be available.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

You have picked up on the madness of the whole social housing system, a lot of councils do insist that a tenant is evicted before they will help.......but...... that '' help '' could be a shared room in a HMO or emergency accomodation at a local hotel used for the homeless and substance abuse victims, it may not be what she hopes for.

I would suggest she speaks with her MP to ensure they are involved. The system is so broke at the moment that the guarantees that were there in the past have long since gone, i deal with a few housing assocations as part of my job, and i am being told that it has never been worse, they are sinking. The possible new RTB announced by Bozo Boris was the final straw, it will just reduce an already meagre supply even more.

I do feel fro your daughter but there are no easy answers at the moment, if the properties do not exist then will the best will in the world they cannot provide them. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by lostforwords View Post
        Since then they've got worse, she suffered a blood clot which leaves her breathless and can't have oxygen as she has a gas hob.
        Would it be possible to turn off the gas supply to the hob and use a plug in double hob? They cost from £26.

Comment

What I am trying to find out is why the council allowed her the right to bid on properties when they knew all about her health problems and now they are saying that they don't have any that are suitable and the LL must evict her. Surely it would have been easier if the council had told her straight away about having to be evicted instead of delaying it knowing that her tenancy agreement run out in August and knowing that she also has mental health problems and I forgot to say she also has a very low immunity due to some of her medication for her health disabilities

Comment

How about seeking a rented property ,in the private sector, which meets her needs? I imagine councils rarely have adapted housing available due to the Conservatives policy on housing and funding of local government by that nice man George, the nice man Philip, and the pin -up boy from South Ken.

Comment

My daughter has looked at renting another property but as we all know the rents are so high that they mostly are unaffordable. Most around her are flats on 1st floor's without lifts. She also has 2 dogs which are her lifeline at the moment. She's even looked at other area's but as her husband still works it would have to be within an hours drive for him to get to work. I see to her most days and do what I can but we all know there's only so much one can do for another. Thanks for all your replies but it doesn't look as if her problems will go away anytime soon

Comment

My tenants had the same problem. One member of the family was disabled and needed hoists but the council said they wouldn't put them in because it's a private let. The only thing I could do was evict them, so I did.

Fortunately for all concerned I managed to find a property on the local housing associations website and they moved into that.

I have another tenant who is disabled and needs adaptations but the council won't do them because they don't have the funds. I'm sorry tosay that if my tenant gets any worse I will have to evict them as I just don't have the money or inclination to make expensive adaptations.

I've no idea under which of the grounds I can evict them when S21 is removed. Perhaps they'll just have to stay in unsuitable accommodation.

Comment

Originally posted by lostforwords View Post
                  My daughter has looked at renting another property but as we all know the rents are so high that they mostly are unaffordable. Most around her are flats on 1st floor's without lifts. She also has 2 dogs which are her lifeline at the moment. She's even looked at other area's but as her husband still works it would have to be within an hours drive for him to get to work. I see to her most days and do what I can but we all know there's only so much one can do for another. Thanks for all your replies but it doesn't look as if her problems will go away anytime soon
                  The dogs will be an impediment. Her husband could find work in an area where housing is more abundant .

Comment

I do tend to agree with the comments suggesting "thinking outside the box". It's clear that something has to give and compromises may need to be made or she is going to be homeless.

Comment

Originally posted by Berlingogirl View Post
                      I've no idea under which of the grounds I can evict them when S21 is removed. Perhaps they'll just have to stay in unsuitable accommodation.
                      Sad to say it but i would evict them now...... it is coming our way and when it hits the reasons you have will not qualify, as i suspect many others will and only time will show them up in this forum and the wider press.

Vulnerable individuals should really not be in the PRS, but due to the social sector being cut so much it has become the default position, but it does not take away the inherent unstable nature of the private sector.

Comment

Hudson01,

The problem here is that the woman was not vulnerable and thus chose the private option. She is now in the wrong sector ,and the landlord is not trained to address such problems.

Comment

Originally posted by gnvqsos View Post

The problem here is that the woman was not vulnerable and thus chose the private option. She is now in the wrong sector ,and the landlord is not trained to address such problems.
                          Could not agree more, but given the reluctance of the social sector to '' do the right thing'', we will always be in a battle to get them to house vulnerable people.

What a sad state of affairs.

Comment

The council can’t magic up a suitable property if there are none available. Whilst being able to present as homeless on top of the health issues will give the daughter more points if there aren’t any suitable properties then your daughter is still going to be between a rock and a hard place. Presenting to the council as homeless doesn’t guarantee social housing and the council may find another property in the PRS for her so it’s quite possible the council is using the homeless angle as a stalling tactic.

Has your daughter been looking at housing association properties in the area? Some housing associations you have to apply to directly rather than through the council.

It would be worth applying to other neighbouring councils as well.

Comment

If the dogs went to the father it would double the properties given the ban on dogs even in many council properties. How ironic that in the near future an eviction will be impossible unless the woman runs up arrears. Basically the PRS is totally unsuitable for the old and vulnerable.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X