Four tenants in three years!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Four tenants in three years!

You guys might remember my magnum opus renovating my first flat here in Reading from early 2018 to half way through 2019.

As shown in the title though, no-one seems to stay longer than their lease. The first lady asked to be released in April 2020, as she was flying home afraid of Covid. The next one stayed only a year. I fell out with the next one, as she wanted to get a dog, so she left after 6 months. Now, the lady who moved in in December just gave notice.

I find it hard to understand, in view of a previous tenant staying nine years. Are other landlords finding similar?
    To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

I think a lot depends on the property. I have got a flat which has a consistently high turnover because it is well suited to students. I have got a family house which is still on its first tenancy: 13 years and counting.
    There is a fine line between irony and stupidity. If I say something absurd please assume that I am being facetious.

Comment

It might depend on the property but equally there is a degree of luck involved too. Maybe 3/4 of all tenants only stay for 1 year but you can't forecast when you will find a tenant who isn't likely to move on quickly. In advance, you could only calculate an average.

Comment

Is this one all electric? Yes I do remember your magnum opus well.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

I have a couple of flats and my tenants have been in them for years, but i tend to go for older tenants, retired would be even better, they are not as flighty and like routine.

Comment

Originally posted by Interlaken View Post
            Is this one all electric? Yes I do remember your magnum opus well.
            Yes, now it is. It originally had gas central heating, but this was condemned as the gas man could not inspect the flue. In view of that I installed storage heaters in the living rooms, and direct heaters in the bedrooms.

Do you think that might be the reason? The high price of electricity?
            To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Try advertising at the business park in reading, you may be able to have the apartment as a service apartment, alternatively, I tend to have my apartments unfurnished, no beds wardrobes just a shell, T's seem to stay longer once their own things are in there.....

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post

Yes, now it is. It originally had gas central heating, but this was condemned as the gas man could not inspect the flue. In view of that I installed storage heaters in the living rooms, and direct heaters in the bedrooms.

Do you think that might be the reason? The high price of electricity?
                I do JKO. The price of electric is scary. I have put gas into one of my all electrics but one let recently in BH3 went purely on location (and it's summer)- previous tenant left after 2.5 years mainly due to proposed electric cost.
                My freeholder has not applied for gas to be installed to the building and I will be pressing for that now.
                Why don't you ask Ts for feedback just in case it is something entirely different like a noisy or strange neighbour?

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Generally people who are in modest occupations seek a secure base ,whereas more ambitious people move to find a better job .There may be some issue such as noise, nuisance or neighbours causing dissatisfaction..

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X