Landlord charged us for cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlord charged us for cleaning

Me and my partner just moved out of our old flat. There was a checklist for the cleaning of the flat and we did everything according to it. Now the landlord has charged us for the cleaning of the mattress and the carpet.
    Now, we never even slept on the mattress as we bought a new one fairly early. The carpets were vacuumed several times, so I assume the cleaning company did a deep clean of the carpets (which was mentioned nowhere).
    Can we do anything about these charges by mentioning the checklist and/or never having used the mattress?

Did you invite the landlord to inspect the flat, after you cleaned it? Did you photograph the cleaned flat?Did the landlord sign anthing to accept flat was clean? I would ask the landlord to show you the bill, and I would ask cleaning firm to provide photographic evidence before and after their clean-up..A good firm would take photos.

Comment

The landlord can’t simply charge you for cleaning the mattress or carpet.

They can claim compensation for a loss beyond fair wear and tear. And the best way of compensating for such a loss might be hiring a cleaner.

But first they’d have to demonstrate there was a loss and quantify it, which, in the case of the mattress, sounds hard to do. With the carpets, there’s obviously some use expected while you live there and it’s a question of degree - but at least any cleaning cost should be adjusted down to compensate for the element of expected use.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I wondered if the cleaning when my last tenants left was another way to increase the profits for the Letting Agency.
        Generally after my tenants leave I have a wizz round and often paint a wall or room.
        I think that because my Letting Agents now employ a team of Cleaners they want to keep them occupied all the time, so they may have raised the standards at which they require a property to be cleaned.
        But in one of my houses after the Letting Agents "Cleaning Team" had left I had to go in and do it properly.
        It appeared that the Cleaning Team had only been allowed 1 hour to clean the property and when the hour was up, they move onto another property.
        It also seemed that they do not have a pair of stepladders as the windows in my rental were totally untouched, perhaps because with an old house with high ceilings they would not be able to reach the top of the windows without a pair of stepladders, Also window leges were not wiped clean.
        Perhaps the Letting Agents realise that as they control whether the tenants gets their deposit back, many tenants know that if they challenge a bill for cleaning, this would mean that they would not get their entire deposit back until the matter had been resolved so tenants accept a bit of a charge for cleaning for a quick refund of deposit.

Comment

GreenLeaves what does you tenancy agreement say about the state of cleanliness in which the flat must be returned?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X