Renting: No-fault evictions to be banned in England

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by doobrey View Post
    On reflection I think the solution is clear: Dog reference.
    Hmm. I'm thinking that might work as well as tenant references, if they give a good one to get rid of Fido.
    To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

    Comment


      Originally posted by Covent Garden Girl View Post
      Well I do think it is unfair that home owners can have pets and renters can't.

      When I rented between selling one property and buying another, everywhere said "no pets". I simply showed up, offered on the flat, explained I had a dog and offered to pay six months' rent in advance, and that worked. But if you can't afford to do that, it's totally unfair that you can't have a dog.

      I would accept tenants with a dog. I would only accept a cat if it were an unfurnished let or if the deposit was more than the cost of all the furniture, because those pesky cats use their nasty claws to pick at all the furniture. But in principle, renters should be allowed pets.
      Renters have less choice as they do not own the house and forfeit the right to have pets. If you want to gain parity you need to perhaps consider buying a house. If your income in inadequate change jobs .Incidentally dogs ae not essential, unless you have a disability .I do like dogs and would not want one in my house.-and, although several of my tenants have dogs I do vet the dogs and particularly their owners.Many let dogs defecate in gardens and do not remove the turds that ensue-walking the dog is an anathema..

      Comment


        Originally posted by Covent Garden Girl View Post
        Wow! I don't know what kind of weird dogs have been in your place.

        I have my own dog and I am an owner occupier, and I have had no damage of any sorts. Here's my little poppet on my bed this morning. She's nearly 14.

        I can't imagine how a dog can damage skirting boards, architraves, doors, or floors. Carpets yes, if the dog is not house trained.

        I'm so sorry JK0 that you have had such bad experiences of dogs.
        You have illustrated the manner in which dogs are indulged by some owners-having dogs on or in beds would be proscribed in my household.

        Comment


          Originally posted by doobrey View Post
          On reflection I think the solution is clear: Dog reference.
          Signed by two pedigree pooches, with double paw prints in red wax.

          Let's face it, it just more rules imposed on us all which in the end will keep chipping away at the PRS and cause more landlords to sell up and raise rents even more, cause and effect. It's just so simple.

          Comment


            Originally posted by Covent Garden Girl View Post

            I can't imagine how a dog can damage skirting boards, architraves, doors, or floors.

            https://youtu.be/_WRT8yNFsjs

            Comment


              Originally posted by boletus View Post
              The tenants who caused all that damage should be made to live on the street for 10 years. Total animals that obviously can’t exist in a civilised society.

              I’ve seen a dog totally destroy a house, where there shouldn’t have been any pets at all. The tenants got a staffy and it ATE (eaten) the kitchen units, doors, architraves, stairs, even the PVC door at the back of the property.
              the landlord was totally heart broken when he saw the house. It was his family home that he rented out.

              im not a dog lover at all, but I can see why people like them. However, I still don’t understand why someone would want to bring an animal into their home.

              Comment


                Originally posted by SouthernDave View Post
                However, I still don’t understand why someone would want to bring an animal into their home.
                Turning that round a little, a great proportion of the issues that we encounter as issues on the forum(s) would be avoided if people didn't rent out their own homes.
                When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

                Comment


                  Originally posted by boletus View Post
                  Holy sweet Jesus......... that is insane. Talk about scum tenants.

                  Comment


                    Well there are so many people nowadays that simply can't afford to buy a house, I don't think it's fair that they "forfeit" the right to have pets??

                    And I sold a house after 20 years of home ownership and bought another one, but had to rent whilst doing it up, and I have a dog - what would I have done if no renters could have dogs?

                    Originally posted by gnvqsos View Post

                    Renters have less choice as they do not own the house and forfeit the right to have pets. If you want to gain parity you need to perhaps consider buying a house. If your income in inadequate change jobs .Incidentally dogs ae not essential, unless you have a disability .I do like dogs and would not want one in my house.-and, although several of my tenants have dogs I do vet the dogs and particularly their owners.Many let dogs defecate in gardens and do not remove the turds that ensue-walking the dog is an anathema..

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by gnvqsos View Post

                      You have illustrated the manner in which dogs are indulged by some owners-having dogs on or in beds would be proscribed in my household.
                      My dog has slept on my bed every night for the last 13.5 years.

                      I'm not sure why you think that is a problem?

                      In fact, my dog sleeps on top of a duvet cover that I bought in Harrods, the brand is Celsos de Limos, from Portugal, and the duvet cover alone cost me £1,400. What's the problem exactly?????

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by Covent Garden Girl View Post

                        My dog has slept on my bed every night for the last 13.5 years.

                        I'm not sure why you think that is a problem?

                        In fact, my dog sleeps on top of a duvet cover that I bought in Harrods, the brand is Celsos de Limos, from Portugal, and the duvet cover alone cost me £1,400. What's the problem exactly?????
                        I simply would not allow a dog to sleep on my bed. .Dogs are animals and to treat them otherwise removes their dignity. Anthropomorphism is a human indulgence .Thankyou for stressing you have sufficient funds to buy from Harrods-very impressive .I buy textiles from Iberia,and have accounts with Poundstretchers of Oporto ,Lidl of Lisbon, and Aldi of Amarante..My friends with dogs stick them on the floor with £1 blankets from charity shops.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Covent Garden Girl View Post
                          I don't think it's fair that they "forfeit" the right to have pets??

                          And I sold a house after 20 years of home ownership and bought another one, but had to rent whilst doing it up, and I have a dog - what would I have done if no renters could have dogs?
                          Pay for it!

                          I've just had a £5K vet bill. I don't expect everyone else to pay for it.

                          Comment


                            No wonder tenants think landlords are caning it. For £5000 you feed many hungry children-at £25 per week for four years.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by Covent Garden Girl View Post
                              Well there are so many people nowadays that simply can't afford to buy a house, I don't think it's fair that they "forfeit" the right to have pets??

                              And I sold a house after 20 years of home ownership and bought another one, but had to rent whilst doing it up, and I have a dog - what would I have done if no renters could have dogs?
                              If you can’t afford something, you don’t have the right to the same. If you can’t afford your own home then that means you can’t have the luxuries that come with that.
                              i can’t afford a lamborghini aventador, does that mean I have the right to one? This is the attitude that’s killing this country in my opinion, ive said in on here before. Why do people think they have a right to something just for being able to breathe.

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by gnvqsos View Post
                                No wonder tenants think landlords are caning it. For £5000 you feed many hungry children-at £25 per week for four years.
                                What do you think is a reasonable vet bill for keeping a male Giant Panda?

                                Their accommodation and feeding costs are high as well but they pay for themselves with the stud fees.

                                He just eats shoots and leaves.

                                Comment

                                Latest Activity

                                Collapse

                                • Reply to Order for possession Q
                                  by shoobydoo
                                  small question, but if the possession order says tenant must leave "before" 30/8, can OP not start arranging bailiffs on 30/8?...
                                  17-08-2022, 19:58 PM
                                • Order for possession Q
                                  by patrick27
                                  Hello everybody, I received a order for possession (accelerated procedure) it says my tenant should leave my property before 30/8. The tenant already had an opportunity to file a defence and request a hearing but didn’t.

                                  So my question is, am I plain sailing now? Or could they yet still...
                                  17-08-2022, 14:23 PM
                                • Reply to Wanting a way Out. Need help!
                                  by shoobydoo
                                  Oh dear, you do seem to be in a pickle.

                                  Firstly, are you being selective enough when choosing your tenants or just choosing anyone so as to avoid void periods? Bit concerning that all 5 families are high maintenance, and that tenants are regularly "bolting".

                                  Next,...
                                  17-08-2022, 19:44 PM
                                • Wanting a way Out. Need help!
                                  by crutherford
                                  Well I know this is a UK forum, but it is a popular one. So I thought I'd see if there's any advice here for a small landlord.
                                  I'm in the U.S. I have worked all my life, saved my money, and spent the last 15 years of my working career 'contracting' or working temp jobs, which always ended up in...
                                  17-08-2022, 03:55 AM
                                • Reply to £500,000 of taxes spent - another anti L/l move
                                  by gnvqsos
                                  ash72,

                                  I think you will discover that many benefit recipients are exceptional money managers-after all the blind ,disabled and retired are practised at the art and have years of experience. You seem well-acquainted with this socio-economic group-are you a social researcher or a mere saloon...
                                  17-08-2022, 18:29 PM
                                • £500,000 of taxes spent - another anti L/l move
                                  by steaming
                                  Social housing tenants will be able to get training and support to speak up and complain about issues with their landlord, the government has announced. 

                                  A £500,000 grant to provide training, boost confidence and offer toolkits for residents on a range of social housing issues has now...
                                  17-08-2022, 15:01 PM
                                • Reply to £500,000 of taxes spent - another anti L/l move
                                  by ash72
                                  Those T's who claim benefits, were empowered when UC came about, making them responsible for the money the government gave them to use how they wanted, some misused this as they weren't equipped on their responsibilities on paying LL's on time, etc, and spent the money on whatever they wanted to. They...
                                  17-08-2022, 17:50 PM
                                • Reply to Council tenants still not able to move out after two months is due
                                  by jpkeates
                                  Being practical, the chances of a letting agent serving a valid section 21 notice are quite slim.
                                  But, on 1st September you can, in theory, apply to a court for a possession order.
                                  If the section 21 notice is valid, there isn't any defence.

                                  You're right about the 42 days - but...
                                  17-08-2022, 17:43 PM
                                • Council tenants still not able to move out after two months is due
                                  by freezing_sy
                                  Basically council still have not found them the next house. I'm so desperate and need them go. What can I do please? They are foster family, apparently very volunerable as people may think. But they terribly damaged my house, they have also cancelled UC direct payment. I need them go......
                                  16-08-2022, 21:11 PM
                                • Reply to Order for possession Q
                                  by jpkeates
                                  No they're not entitled to do that.
                                  They can plead exceptional hardship to have the possession delayed to a maximum of 42 days.
                                  But they can't ask to have the case "thrown out" or "re-evaluated".

                                  There are a range of legal remedies theoretically available...
                                  17-08-2022, 17:39 PM
                                Working...
                                X