Renting: No-fault evictions to be banned in England

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gnvqsos View Post
    I simply would not allow a dog to sleep on my bed. .Dogs are animals and to treat them otherwise removes their dignity. Anthropomorphism is a human indulgence .Thankyou for stressing you have sufficient funds to buy from Harrods-very impressive .I buy textiles from Iberia,and have accounts with Poundstretchers of Oporto ,Lidl of Lisbon, and Aldi of Amarante..My friends with dogs stick them on the floor with £1 blankets from charity shops.
    Agree. My mum is a dog trainer, she was in crufts this year. DShe always says that dogs are pack animals and they live by their position in the hierarchy. letting dogs into the bed or onto the sofa actually elevates their position in the hierarchy and puts them on your level, and can have dramatic consequences. Keeping them on the floor keeps them in their correct position, it’s not cruel at all, it’s how their world works.

Comment

Originally posted by boletus View Post
      A good reason why, when we constantly hear mention of a landlord register, for highlighting bad landlords, there equally should be a tenant register for all to highlight bad tenants. Sorry if that idea may offend some ears but its a simple check and balance.

Comment

Originally posted by dp17 View Post
        A good reason why, when we constantly hear mention of a landlord register, for highlighting bad landlords, there equally should be a tenant register for all to highlight bad tenants.
        To some extent, it will unintentionally help create a kind of bad tenant register.

A section 21 eviction usually doesn't get entered onto the register of county court judgements.

A section 8 eviction usually does.

Despite the propaganda, there's always a reason for 'no fault' evictions. Not paying the rent is a big reason.

Comment

A section 21 eviction usually doesn't get entered onto the register of county court judgements.

A section 8 eviction usually does.

That is a very good point, the law of unintended consequences i guess....... so after a few years of all this we just have to check the register and we have a kind of tenant check by default.

Comment

Originally posted by dp17 View Post

A good reason why, when we constantly hear mention of a landlord register, for highlighting bad landlords, there equally should be a tenant register for all to highlight bad tenants. Sorry if that idea may offend some ears but its a simple check and balance.
            Landlords can reference tenants though. Tenants can’t reference landlords in the same way. Look at the tenant in Sydney who jokingly asked for landlord references, he appears to have been black-balled by every letting agency in the city.

Comment

Originally posted by Covent Garden Girl View Post
              Well there are so many people nowadays that simply can't afford to buy a house, I don't think it's fair that they "forfeit" the right to have pets??

And I sold a house after 20 years of home ownership and bought another one, but had to rent whilst doing it up, and I have a dog - what would I have done if no renters could have dogs?

I think a lot of people get pets that are completely unsuited to their lifestyle. Not just tenants, home owners too, the difference being that if an animal reeks havoc on your property that’s on you but if you rent it’s often the landlord who ends up footing some or all of the bill.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthernDave View Post
                i can’t afford a lamborghini aventador, does that mean I have the right to one?
                Presumably you must have the right to rent one and put your dog in it.
                There is a fine line between irony and stupidity. If I say something absurd please assume that I am being facetious.

Comment

What do you think is a reasonable vet bill for keeping a male Giant Panda?

Their accommodation and feeding costs are high as well but they pay for themselves with the stud fees.

He just eats shoots and leaves.
                  It is ages since I lost Chi Chi, but I do remember paying £5/6/11 to remove several in-growing toe-nails in 1967.

Comment

Originally posted by doobrey View Post

Would the dog need a license to drive it assuming it was insured? Perhaps were the tenant to sit in the passenger seat?

Comment

Originally posted by doobrey View Post

I’d bet money that the hire company wouldn’t allow that. Like a landlord wouldn’t want a dog in their house.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthernDave View Post

I’d bet money that the hire company wouldn’t allow that. Like a landlord wouldn’t want a dog in their house.
                        And I’d take that bet.

Comment

Originally posted by DoricPixie View Post
                          Look at the tenant in Sydney who jokingly asked for landlord references, he appears to have been black-balled by every letting agency in the city.
                          It didn't look jokingly to me, it looked like someone trying to provoke an argument.

Then he splattered it all over the internet...

Comment

Tenants should be able to request a reference about a landlord from an existing tenant.

Comment

Originally posted by gnvqsos View Post
                              Tenants should be able to request a reference about a landlord from an existing tenant.
                              How about landlords not being able to demand a deposit unless they put one up for the same amount?

Comment

Deposit? What's that?
                                To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Gas Central Heating Included in Rent
                                  by Hudson01
                                  Given you have an idea of what Kwh's were used before, and if you look at any national news channel there are many predictions on what it will be in April 2023, i would do as suggested above, increase it once, but make it BIG ....... They are looking at an average CAP of £4500-£5000 after the April...
                                  14-08-2022, 17:27 PM
                                • Gas Central Heating Included in Rent
                                  by patray
                                  I am trying to work out the best way to recoup some of the increase in the cost of the gas given that we can only put up the rent once a year but the cost is going to be increased in October and probably every 3 months.

It's not possible to forsee how much prices will rise or what help...
                                  14-08-2022, 14:03 PM
                                • Reply to Future Issues for LL and Tenants
                                  by Hudson01
                                  Totally agree..... but has anyone told the govt or the developers who still appear to be fitting no solar panels on their new builds...... no heat pumps...... no rain water retention systems...... i could go on but you get the idea, we are useless as a country at preparing for the future, the future...
                                  14-08-2022, 17:20 PM
                                • Future Issues for LL and Tenants
                                  by Hudson01
                                  Looking at the news today (similar to yesterday and the day before), they are talking about combined energy bills of 4-5k a year...... by April 2023. There are many properties up north where the combined rental per annum is between 6-7k....... that is insane.

Could we have a situation...
                                  13-08-2022, 22:08 PM
                                  by SouthernDave
                                  Air con and solar panels is the only viable option I can see going forward.
                                  14-08-2022, 16:04 PM
                                  by Neelix
                                  If the gas is included in the agreement, what makes you think you pass this on to tenants ?
                                  14-08-2022, 15:59 PM
                                  by ash72
                                  I can see more problem on the horizon...... The more we insulate our homes the better they are in keeping the heat in, the problem as we all can feel during the last month is the relentless heat which then is trapped inside the home and it's cooler outside then inside.

- We removed wooden...
                                  14-08-2022, 15:53 PM
                                  by ash72
                                  You should fix the tariff if you believe the prices are going to increase every 3 months, then you would have locked in the rate for the next 12 - 18 months, it's only then on the consumption of the utility. Are the flats legally converted if not then it's most likely a HMO property.

I...
                                  14-08-2022, 15:43 PM
                                  by theartfullodger
                                  You are able to propose as many increases as you like as often as you like. If tenant ( stupidity..) agrees and starts paying then that's agreed. If not, stuffed.

However you may only attempt to enforce an increase one a year ("section 13 notice ") and tenant is, quite rightly,...
                                  14-08-2022, 15:18 PM
                                  by DPT57
                                  No it doesn't seem workable. Even if they agree, they could change their mind about further in-year increases. You should probably just increase the rent as a one-off by a fixed amount that both of you can live with, but neither are totally happy with.
                                  14-08-2022, 14:48 PM
                                Working...
                                X