Michael Gove!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael Gove!!

Doesnt he know about unintended consequences? Changes to tenancys will reduce the supply and put up the cost. Like buying a car or anything else.
    He wants pets to be allowed even if its furnished and carrpeted. And repossessions to be more difficult.
    I used to support the tories but I cannot now!

He understands the consequences well. Allow pets and prevent repossessions = more votes. By the time the consequences become obvious he'll be long gone. Look at the policies of off shoring power and food. Thatcher was the last pm to realise we might need to grow our own food and she left power in 1990. It's taken over 30 years for the government of the day to work it out. Ditto mass immigration and a housing shortage. The current tories have more labour policies than labour has.

Comment

Did you see this other bit of idiocy?

https://www.landlordzone.co.uk/news/...nancy-clashes/

Err, the reason there are less disputes, is that landlords know we're on a hiding to nothing in raising one. Therefore more & more of us think it pointless taking deposits, and just add a little bit to the rent.
      To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

ITS CALLED THE POLITICS OF ENVY

Even on the right they know the biggest emotion is jealousy and the biggest at the moment is from those who've lived their lives not bothering to get their own roof over their head, against others who have with a few properties more due to the inadequate alternative pension arrangements.

The consequences for me: RENT UP 50% IN 5 YEARS. I'm already factoring in the next increase to account for any rent controls - in advance!

To tenants who think they're going to get rights way beyond any practical reality, there's only one consequence: NO RENTAL PROPERTY

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
          Did you see this other bit of idiocy?

https://www.landlordzone.co.uk/news/...nancy-clashes/

Err, the reason there are less disputes, is that landlords know we're on a hiding to nothing in raising one.
          This is from the latest survey I could find;

"With MyDeposits, 7.81% of disputes were found in favour of the landlord.

With the TDS, 19.22% of disputes were found in favour of the landlord.

With the DPS, 19.1% of disputes were found in favour of the landlord."

In the unlikely event of a dispute that couldn't be resolved, I'd go to court instead.

Therefore more & more of us think it pointless taking deposits, and just add a little bit to the rent.
          I do both.

Comment

All these rules will just make landlords more choosy or just pack it in, be careful what you ask for springs to mind .

Comment

The logical thing to do if you are working away for a year or two is now to leave the property empty. The risks of short term letting are too great.
              Add in the effect of very slow conveyancing and there must be a lot of empty properties.
              L

Comment

I picked up today (half way through) a Radio 4 interview with a renter in South Manchester and a rep from some kind of tenant protection service, and the lady from the tenant service effectively said that the market would be better without the small landlords who will not adapt to the new reform bill and that the larger landords woud be best for the tenants in the long run.......... what ever we all think of what the govt are doing or allowing to be done, i really do think it is all by design. Only the very hardiest will be around in 5 years time, and i suspect i will not be one of them ! But i can watch from the sidelines and enjoy the fruit of the years of being a landlord (sorry ex landlord).

Comment

The govt may think big landlords get economies of scale but in my experience they do not. They end up paying more for poor work on renovations which need more detailed supervision.
                  ​​​​​​

Comment

So bit like tenant fees ban. Rent will increase....this time to cover any damage caused by pets.....they are simply chasing votes of tenants

Comment

Originally posted by boletus View Post

This is from the latest survey I could find;

"With MyDeposits, 7.81% of disputes were found in favour of the landlord.

With the TDS, 19.22% of disputes were found in favour of the landlord.

With the DPS, 19.1% of disputes were found in favour of the landlord."

In the unlikely event of a dispute that couldn't be resolved, I'd go to court instead.

I do both.
                      In fairness a lot of landlords or rather the letting agents of landlords take the piss with deposits asking for things they know they can’t legally Take from a deposit for like “must be professionally cleaned” or trying to claim for brand new carpets when old ones wear out etc. Every time I moved I had to fight with the letting agents / deposit scheme for my deposit back.

Comment

Occurs to me that rather than tell the landlord that they have a pet, and risk him finding an excuse not to let to them, prospective tenants will 'forget' about Fido. They'll just show up with him on move in day, knowing that landlord can do nothing. I wonder if a pet detecting industry will grow up. Maybe I'll have to join Bookface to check up?
                        To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
                          Occurs to me that rather than tell the landlord that they have a pet, and risk him finding an excuse not to let to them, prospective tenants will 'forget' about Fido. They'll just show up with him on move in day, knowing that landlord can do nothing. I wonder if a pet detecting industry will grow up. Maybe I'll have to join Bookface to check up?
                          We do this already with prospective tenants, we go in search of their photos on various different platforms to see if they are an idiot or not

Comment

Originally posted by Codger View Post
                            The logical thing to do if you are working away for a year or two is now to leave the property empty. The risks of short term letting are too great.
                            Add in the effect of very slow conveyancing and there must be a lot of empty properties.
                            L
                            I can personally attest to that and so now my property is sitting empty. That's not just down to the tenants though it is having to relinquish a lot of control to letting agents who are expensive and useless.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                            X