serving section 21 to end tenancy at end of fixed term

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

serving section 21 to end tenancy at end of fixed term

I am a landlord with an AST dated 24th December for a fixed term of 6 months until 23rd June. I want to give my tenant noitce to vacate as he is yet to pay the rent due 24th May and he has persistanyl late with rent. Can I serve Section 21 to end the tenancy on 23rd June which is wehn the fixed term would normally end or does I need to give him 2 months notice?

Have a good read of this site but the quick answer is that a S21 needs to give two months notice, and you need to gain possession at the end of a rent period, i.e. to allow them to pay for a full months rent.

Be careful with due dates, and the wording that you are requiring possession after such a date etc.

Kind regards,

John

Comment

Originally posted by magskate View Post
      I am a landlord with an AST dated 24th December for a fixed term of 6 months until 23rd June. I want to give my tenant noitce to vacate as he is yet to pay the rent due 24th May and he has persistanyl late with rent. Can I serve Section 21 to end the tenancy on 23rd June which is wehn the fixed term would normally end or does I need to give him 2 months notice?
      If you serve before 23 June, use s.21(1)(b) Notice. This will run for two months exactly, after which you can start proceedings.
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X