Rent out my share of inherited property

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Rent out my share of inherited property

    Hi there.

    Sorry if this has been discussed before.
    I couldn't find anything.

    My 3 siblings and I inherited my mother's house when she sadly passed away.

    We have dealt with the probate and transferred the title and deeds into all 4 of our names as joint equal share owners.

    My 3 brothers live in the house.
    I do not.
    I would like to rent out my old room at the house and make a little income from it as I am not benefiting from it in any way.

    My siblings say that I can not do this if one of them do not agree.

    My question is, can I rent out and make an income from it?
    Do I need the siblings permission?

    Thanks for responding in advance.

    #2
    The house is jointly owned by all 4 of you but the room that you claim is yours cannot be separated from the rest of the house, in my opinion this will not work, if anyone else came into the house they would do so as a lodger not a tenant, this has disaster written all over it. All your brothers have to do is change the locks on THEIR home and the other person will not be able to gain entry, it will not work and i suggest you see a solicitor to work out a way to force your other brothers to settle your share of the house. I have never heard anything like this before.

    As an aside, how exactly do you think any prospective '' tenant '' will feel given all their 3 house mates do not want them there !!! No one in their right mind would rent under those conditions, forget this and think again.

    Comment


      #3
      Would the simple answer be for 1 or more of your brothers to buy out your share?

      did the will give any direction on such events ?

      Comment


        #4
        The situation where your brothers enjoy the property and you do not cannot be allowed to continue. They are various options:

        · One or more of your brothers buys out your share.
        · The property is sold
        · Your brothers pay you rent equal to a quarter of the rental value
        · You move in

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Rosslad View Post
          My siblings say that I can not do this if one of them do not agree.
          If you’re in England, they’re right.

          My question is, can I rent out and make an income from it?
          Do I need the siblings permission?
          You can’t rent it without everyone agreeing.
          You all own all of the property, none of you own any particular part or share of it to rent out.

          About the only thing you can do that they can’t (legally) stop you doing is move in.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Neelix View Post
            Would the simple answer be for 1 or more of your brothers to buy out your share?

            did the will give any direction on such events ?
            Thank you for your helpful response.
            sadly mum passed unexpectedly without a will and still rather young.

            If I decide to sell my share to them, which I am considering now as I wouldn't want a perspective lodger to live in such a toxic environment with the others.
            Do the other siblings have to all agree to this?

            Many thanks again

            Comment


              #7
              jpkeates,

              Thank you also.

              Comment


                #8
                Lawcruncher,

                Ah I never considered the option of them paying me rent equal to a quarter of the rental value.

                This is another option.
                Thanks so much

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Rosslad View Post

                  If I decide to sell my share to them, which I am considering now as I wouldn't want a perspective lodger to live in such a toxic environment with the others.
                  Do the other siblings have to all agree to this?

                  Many thanks again
                  Re selling your share to them, I guess that’s down to the 4 of you considering the options.

                  maybe consider taking some advice for all of you to avoid issues now and down the line. Sooner or later one of you will want out.

                  often these days young people can only get on the housing ladder by buying with friends and solicitors have agreements on how to deal with these events.

                  Hope this helps, this must be a tricky time for you all

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Neelix,

                    Thanks so much, I really appreciate it.
                    yeah since mum passed away the other boys treat the house like a flat share, letting things go.
                    I'm there every couple of weeks, tidying for them, have new carpet layed, decorating, am here now waiting for the water heater guy to come as it's been broken for a couple of months with no hot water and none of them could be bothered to arrange to get it fixed.
                    Sadly mum mothered them all and they can't do anything for themselves.

                    I get moaned at for doing it. Why am I getting involved, you live in London with your partner.

                    But I don't want mums house to fall apart due to their neglect.

                    Which is why I am reluctant to get rid of my share but also would like to get an income from it.
                    Family hehehe

                    Thanks again.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Rosslad View Post
                      Sadly mum mothered them all and they can't do anything for themselves.


                      But I don't want mums house to fall apart due to their neglect.
                      Oh dear, i come across people like this in my job, it never ends well........... the fact your late mother looked after them for far too long does not mean you have to take over the job ! And not to wish to upset you but it is not your mothers house anymore, and if it does fall apart then part of your inheritence goes with it !

                      Do what you have too to get your share out and let the 'Adults ' look after themselves, if not, your life will be blighted by it all and that (i am sure) is not what your mother would wish. Good luck.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Hudson01,

                        Thanks for your reply.
                        yeah I know it's our house now, I keep saying mums house.

                        I am now looking at finding out what I can do to get my share out.

                        Thanks again 👍

                        Comment


                          #13
                          You can't say you are not benefit, if houses prices go up, you will benefit. You also need to set up a schedule of improvements / repairs.

                          An alternative option would be, to rent out out for say storage. You need to find a suitable person, who is n't going to be coming in and out. Perhaps someone going abroad for a few months. Just make sure they have contents insurance. It is less income, but a lot easier to get agreement on.


                          Comment


                            #14
                            The practical problem with doing anything is that joint tenants don't own an equal share of the property, so the four tenants have 25% of the place each.
                            They own equal shares of the property such that all four of them all own 100% of it.

                            So, in England, each tenant has a veto on any decision relating to the property.
                            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Rosslad View Post
                              Neelix,

                              Thanks so much, I really appreciate it.
                              yeah since mum passed away the other boys treat the house like a flat share, letting things go.
                              I'm there every couple of weeks, tidying for them, have new carpet layed, decorating, am here now waiting for the water heater guy to come as it's been broken for a couple of months with no hot water and none of them could be bothered to arrange to get it fixed.
                              Sadly mum mothered them all and they can't do anything for themselves.

                              I get moaned at for doing it. Why am I getting involved, you live in London with your partner.

                              But I don't want mums house to fall apart due to their neglect.

                              Which is why I am reluctant to get rid of my share but also would like to get an income from it.
                              Family hehehe

                              Thanks again.
                              why are you doing this ? Just leave them to it and take your money when they eventually sell it, why are you driving miles to clean up after your brothers

                              Comment

                              Latest Activity

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X