Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlord never signed AST

Hi,

I would like to know, how a proposed AST which a landlord never actually signed is treated as?

Does it become a "Oral Agreement" or does any other default agreement as defined in one of the Housing Acts take its place?

And what about its duration?

I believe it's easy to guess, which "Maverick" is the LA in such a case?

IMHO

It is probably the intention of the LL and/or agent that they are the terms and conditions of the tenancy, even though they are unsigned. If tenant has possession and has signed the AST, those terms would prevail. If tenant had not signed, then LL could only expect implied terms and would not be able to insist on tenant asking permission for pets etc.
    All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

Originally posted by catmedia View Post
      Hi,

I would like to know, how a proposed AST which a landlord never actually signed is treated as?

Does it become a "Oral Agreement" or does any other default agreement as defined in one of the Housing Acts take its place?

And what about its duration?

I believe it's easy to guess, which "Maverick" is the LA in such a case?
      Hi Catmedia,

Is the "Maverick" part referring to myself?! If so, do I know you or is it referring to a post that has been made?

Bel - The OP, I believe was asking what would happen if the LL hadn't signed rather than the T. In this case I believe that an acceptance of rent and the tenancy would result in the LL naturally accepting the terms that the tenant had signed.

Kind regards,

John

Comment

Re-reading my post, to clarify - an AST can still be an AST without a LL signing the contract, if the T moves in and has paid rent. Hence you can have an AST with no paperwork.

Someone with more legal knowledge than myself will be able to clarify.

Kind regards,

John

Comment

Originally posted by MaverickPropertyManagemen View Post

Bel - The OP, I believe was asking what would happen if the LL hadn't signed rather than the T. In this case I believe that an acceptance of rent and the tenancy would result in the LL naturally accepting the terms that the tenant had signed.

I think I understood the question
          All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

Just checking - you have to be sure of these things!

Kind regards,

John

Comment

Originally posted by MaverickPropertyManagemen View Post
              Re-reading my post, to clarify - an AST can still be an AST without a LL signing the contract, if the T moves in and has paid rent. Hence you can have an AST with no paperwork.

Someone with more legal knowledge than myself will be able to clarify.

Kind regards,

John
              Yes. As from 28 Feb. 1997, AST can be oral only.
              However, see s.20A of 1988 Act. T has right to a Statement of Terms not already evidenced in writing.
              JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
              1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
              2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
              3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
              4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Rent a Room scheme
                by theartfullodger
                a) so the mobile home does not provide the (very) basic facilities that any tenant or judge would expect for a dwelling....
                b) Agree with jpk: Should it get to court (which is when the issue matters..) can;t see any judge deciding it's anything but a tenancy & you the landlord er... not at...
                24-01-2022, 16:26 PM
              • Rent a Room scheme
                by lgr001
                I have a mobile home next to my property. Do I qualify for the rent a room scheme if I rent out the mobile home but the occupant must use the shower and washing facilities in my house i.e. so that the mobile home is not a separate unit of accommodation? There is a provision by the council that it...
                24-01-2022, 14:25 PM
              • Reply to Tenant in situ
                by jpkeates
                It's almost impossible to reset the tenancy with a new agreement.
                The buyer will inherit the previous tenancy at the same point that they're able to let the property on the new agreement, so any new tenancy is going to be a follow on tenancy.
                So things that need to be done at the very start...
                24-01-2022, 14:57 PM
              • Tenant in situ
                by Bridge2020
                I’m looking at buying another property to rent out. The one I’m looking at has a tenant in situ. I have seen a copy of the AST and payments to the agents.
                Anyone have any experience of this please ?...
                20-01-2022, 08:29 AM
              • Reply to Rent a Room scheme
                by jpkeates
                You're really going to struggle with that not being a tenancy.
                If the tenant can lock the door to exclude you, and they could wash in a sink, that's likely to be a dwelling house.
                24-01-2022, 14:52 PM
              • Reply to Regulated Tenancy
                by AVJ113
                Yep, that's exactly what has happened....
                24-01-2022, 14:12 PM
              • Regulated Tenancy
                by AVJ113
                I have a basic understanding of regulated tenancy. I'm looking to buy a property with a tenant in situ on a regulated tenancy. In the real world, what are the pros and cons? Is there anyone with any experience?
                24-01-2022, 13:38 PM
                by DoricPixie
                How basic is your understanding?

From your other thread you are seeing a broker about a BTL mortgage. I think you will struggle to secure a BTL mortgage against a property with a Regulated Tenancy in place....
                24-01-2022, 14:05 PM
                by jpucng62
                Unless it is REALLY cheap - don't!

I inherited a property with a regulated tenant. The rent can only go up once every 2 years, by a specified amount, although more often if you improve the property, but it will always be cheap.

Most tenants have been in a very long time and...
                24-01-2022, 13:58 PM
              • Reply to Tenant in situ
                by Interlaken
                Agree with above but if the property is in poor condition and the tenant elderly (or could be child of tenant who may be middle aged) then steer clear. I would definitely speak with the tenant.
                24-01-2022, 13:30 PM
              Working...
              X