Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ending contract with letting agent

Hi All,

Long story short, my agent of the last 18 months we have decided to depart ways.

I have most documents the only thing I don't have is documents related to the DPS.

I dont have the certificate so I dont know the deposit ID. The estate agent claims that they will release the deposit to the tenants as they can't transfer it to me which is utter rubbish.

To double check, I checked online and it appears the deposit has been protected.

The contract itself had the tenants sign that they recieved the prescribed information at the start of the tenancy so that's not the worry. However I did ask the agents to send me the original prescribed information along with the deposit certificate so I can have a track record of deposit being legally protected and once this was transferred to me then I serve the prescribed information again to the tenants within 30 days to ensure I am legally compliant.

The issue is the Estate Agent is now not responding to my emails and keep threatening to release the deposit to the tenants.

I guess this is all out of spite, however how can I remedy this should I take on management then the contract states a deposit was taken.

Should the deposit be released then I will have no evidence of this should I chose not to take a deposit.

Should the tenants recieve the depoait they probally are under no obligation to return it to me to protect.

What is the best course of action here and can the DPS help me?

The deposit is the tenant’s money, and what the agent has to, or can do, with it depends on what they agreed with the tenant and / or you.
    I don’t see how you can compel them to transfer the deposit to you unless they’ve previously agreed to do that.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
    X