Government handouts to tenants or landlords

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My land-line is going too when the contract runs out. It's cheaper to ring out from the mobile and most of the incoming calls on the land line are nuisance calls. I've only kept it because of WiFi.

Comment

Originally posted by royw View Post
      I've only kept it because of WiFi.
      If you have data on your mobile plan (or buy a weekly/monthly data pack if your are PAYG) then turn your phone into a mobile wifi hotspot or tether it to the computer via the USB cable that came with the phone.

That's what I'm going to be doing once my fixed 12 month broadband contract ends next month

Most smartphones can be easily set as a wifi hotspot even if they won't tether by USB.
      (You may want to keep the phone on charge if/when using it as a wifi hotspot, sending out a wifi signal uses power and so drains the battery, but if/when using a USB cable it doesn't take the same power plus if it's a USB3 connection actually charges the phone through the cable).

Comment

Originally posted by nukecad View Post
        If you have data on your mobile plan (or buy a weekly/monthly data pack if your are PAYG) then turn your phone into a mobile wifi hotspot or tether it to the computer via the USB cable that came with the phone.

That's what I'm going to be doing once my fixed 12 month broadband contract ends next month

Most smartphones can be easily set as a wifi hotspot even if they won't tether by USB.
        (You may want to keep the phone on charge if/when using it as a wifi hotspot, sending out a wifi signal uses power and so drains the battery, but if/when using a USB cable it doesn't take the same power plus if it's a USB3 connection actually charges the phone through the cable).
        Thanks, I haven't tried it yet so may be back for advice! 2 laptops so think I have to go for the mobile hotspit option. Does tethering have to be done with a cable?

Comment

Technically 'tethering' means a cable (tethered=tied) but often these days using a wifi hotspot like this is also referred to as tethering.

Give it a go, on your phone it's usually something like:
          Settings>(Wirless and Networks) More settings>Thethering and portable hotspots>Wifi Hotspot.
          Once turned on it will tell you what name it is set to use as a wifi network and usually ask you to set a password for that network.
          You can tap it at anytime to get a screen where you can set the configuration, change the name/password, etc.

This explains it with both IOS and Android phones:https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/techta...ne-to-your-pc/
          Last edited by nukecad; 29-05-2022, 09:31 AM. Reason: link changed to a better one

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post

You should probably join the government legislative airheads
            Were'nt they an offshoot of Talking Heads?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X