Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you buy a tenanted property?

Hi

I'm looking to buy a maisonette to let as investment. It 's currently rented on AST contract, until April 2023. So ongoing tenancy.

Is it advisable to do such, buy a tenanted property?

Thanks

I have done that, and it worked out fine.

I would not do that now, though, because there are things that have to have been done when the tenancy began and since that, if you can't prove that they were done, would mean the evicting the tenant could become difficult (and potentially impossible).

You probably don't expect to need to evict the tenant (who may be a lovely person and a great tenant), but things can change (three years ago almost no one expected a plague to change people's circumstances quite so dramatically).
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
      I have done that, and it worked out fine.

I would not do that now, though, because there are things that have to have been done when the tenancy began and since that, if you can't prove that they were done, would mean the evicting the tenant could become difficult (and potentially impossible).
      Thanks, good points.

The rent at present is managed by the estate agent who also have the flat for sale. Would this be a plus point when comes to things done as they are more thorough than a private landlord?

Any advantages of buying tenanted property, apart from saving time to find tenant?

Comment

You should work backwards, your should image you already have the property and need to evict the T (for whatever reason) could you do it with the paperwork you have? If the answer is no, then walk away or negotiate a lower price for the property.

Comment

Originally posted by artin View Post
          The rent at present is managed by the estate agent who also have the flat for sale. Would this be a plus point when comes to things done as they are more thorough than a private landlord?
          No, because agents are not more thorough than a private landlord.

Some agents are more thorough than some private landlords.

But I believe that all agents are primarily focused on making money from selling property and would do a lot to facilitate a sale.
          And the agent is acting 100% on behalf of the seller (they owe the seller a fiduciary duty) and owe you nothing at all.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Would the AST contain all the info I need to ensure whether current tenancy would be trouble in the future and if it comes to evicting?

Comment

Would the AST contain all the info I need to ensure whether current tenancy would be trouble in the future and if it comes to evicting?
              No.

You'd need evidence that any deposit taken (possibly multiple times) had been correctly protected and administered and that the correct documentation had been given to the tenant, all within the deadlines (This is horribly difficult!)
              If the property has gas, you'd want every satisfactory gas safety certificate since before the current tenant moved in and evidence that the tenant had been given copies.
              You'd want the current EICR.
              If the tenancy began after 2015, you'd want evidence that the tenant had been given the right version of the Right to Rent booklet in hard copy.
              You'd want evidence that the tenant had been given an EPC for the property before they moved in and that the EPC rating of the property is E or above (ideally you'd want it to be C).
              You'd want an undertaking that there are no issues with the property that have been raised by the tenant since the start of the tenancy that have not been resolved.
              You'd want to see the evidence that confirms that the tenant(s) have a right to reside in the UK.
              I'd want (but could accept living without) details of every rent payment made by the tenant back to day one.

As it's a maisonette, I'm assuming it's not got three or more people living in it.

Ideally you'd want a document signed by both the landlord and the tenant confirming each of the points above.

You'd need to make sure the deposit is transferred to you when the sale completes (chances are the agent has it).

That's off the top of my head and I might have missed something!

Comment

Correction "How to rent Guide" as well as the right to rent.

Comment

Originally posted by ash72 View Post
                  Correction "How to rent Guide" as well as the right to rent.
                  Yes, quite right, thanks for the correction!

Comment

Have a look at these two websites pages:
                    https://www.vestaproperty.com/blog/1...anted-property
                    And
                    https://www.propertytribes.com/26-qu...u-t-12038.html

Comment

As jkpeates points out it would not. Is this going to be your first rental property and have you done any research into what being a landlord entails? Please don’t just say you’re going to use a letting agent.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Can I get rent paid direct to me?
                        by jpkeates
                        A single parent with a young(ish) child is going to be a priority for housing long term, but she does seem to be in complete denial.

Personally I think you get to be daft in your twenties, or until you have a child.
                        At that point, your idiot permission is revoked.
                        11-08-2022, 15:21 PM
                      • Can I get rent paid direct to me?
                        by NaomiB
                        My tenant was supposed to have left yesterday but she hasn't so this morning I posted my N325-eng form with the £130 for the bailiffs.

I am expecting the court to take about three weeks to issue the warrant and four to six weeks for the bailiffs to come so about two months or so. She...
                        11-08-2022, 12:46 PM
                      • Reply to Can I get rent paid direct to me?
                        by NaomiB
                        I was thinking that if it took three weeks for the court to send out the possession order, then they would probably take three weeks to get round to sending the warrant. The judge read the written evidence on 5 July but we didn't get it until 29 July. It's not the end of the world if there is a delay,...
                        11-08-2022, 15:14 PM
                      • Reply to Enforcing a CCJ without current address
                        by flyingfreehold
                        I think there is a way of delegated service by taking an ad in a newspaper but I may be out of date. The question always is are we going to get paid by spending more in pursuing a tenant. The main thing is to get a bad tenant out
                        11-08-2022, 15:09 PM
                      • Enforcing a CCJ without current address
                        by Chrisall
                        First post and straight in with a question! We had a CCJ against a bad tenant and can't enforce/ recover the debt because the person refuses to provide their address. The prior address was our property and the only correspondence address is her debt management company. I've looked at address tracing...
                        11-08-2022, 15:06 PM
                      • Reply to Section 21 costs - who pays?
                        by jpkeates
                        The court will award the costs against whoever loses the case (unless something very weird has gone on), but you'll pay for the claim(s) and would have to recover them from the tenant.

You can apply to the court the day after your notice expires.

The key thing with a section...
                        11-08-2022, 15:04 PM
                      • Section 21 costs - who pays?
                        by freddycd15
                        Hi all,

I'm sure this has been answered before, but I'm having difficulty finding an answer using the search function.

My tenant is currently on a statutory periodic tenancy.

I wanted to ask who pays for the costs involved a Section 21 possession claim. Fees such...
                        11-08-2022, 14:57 PM
                      • Reply to Section 21 costs - who pays?
                        by theartfullodger
                        See what happens. Many tenants leave on simply being served or when court papers issued.

Further, many s21 are invalid anyway : have you checked it with eg info from nearly legal or shelter?
                        11-08-2022, 15:03 PM
                      • Reply to Lifetime Lease
                        by theartfullodger
                        (Assuming lease written sensibly) he'd almost certainly need to relinquish his interests and right to lease. Difficult given what you say is diagnosis.

I'd review with a Scottish solicitor expert in landlord/tenant law and family law (ie maybe not high street local office) What form...
                        11-08-2022, 15:01 PM
                      • Lifetime Lease
                        by GaryBenn
                        I purchased my father in laws flat 20 years ago where he has life time tenancy. He is now needing to go into residential care due to dementia which has followed a medical assessment and report. Can i sell the property when he enters residential care or do i need to wait until he dies?
                        The property...
                        11-08-2022, 12:46 PM
                      Working...
                      X