Lodger is in police custody for weeks or years. What to do with lodger's possessions?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Originally posted by Wauden View Post
    I cannot be in contact with lodger myself due to the situation. The police say don't dispose of the things which is okay but I don't want to keep them in my shed for two years.
    The police can't tell you what to do in this instance.
    What happens to stuff that you are responsible for when the owner has left is a matter of law.

    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

    Comment


      #17
      And why on earth can you not be in contact?? You write a formal letter.

      Comment


        #18
        And all my previous other responses on this thread (apart from one immediately above) are just sitting there unapproved.... what a waste of time and energy.

        Comment


          #19
          Put in storage, pay for a month, then let the storage company deal with it, I would pass on the storage details to your lodger via the police or however, if the Lodger has an email address send a copy of the information on there. I would also try and make an inventory of the items.

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by ash72 View Post
            Put in storage, pay for a month, then let the storage company deal with it, I would pass on the storage details to your lodger via the police or however, if the Lodger has an email address send a copy of the information on there. I would also try and make an inventory of the items.
            If the landlord does this then the storage company would come after him as it's he who has the contract witht them, not sure i would do this. I would though ask the Police to pass on the ex lodgers legal representitive, he or she will be in contact with the alleged offender and they can ask him what his wishes are for his stuff. It sounds a total mess and i agree with you that keepingt he gear for a month or so is one thing but you cannot be expected to store his junk for years.

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post
              And why on earth can you not be in contact?? You write a formal letter.
              Instructions from police.

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by Hudson01 View Post

                If the landlord does this then the storage company would come after him as it's he who has the contract witht them, not sure i would do this. I would though ask the Police to pass on the ex lodgers legal representitive, he or she will be in contact with the alleged offender and they can ask him what his wishes are for his stuff. It sounds a total mess and i agree with you that keepingt he gear for a month or so is one thing but you cannot be expected to store his junk for years.
                Thanks, Hudson, that is it. The stuff is safe, carefully boxed up and in garage now.
                I do everything according to the law.
                The police took the valuables away.

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by Wauden View Post

                  Instructions from police.
                  Were you involved in any of these alleged offences -eg injured party?
                  I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by theartfullodger View Post

                    Were you involved in any of these alleged offences -eg injured party?
                    All sounds very odd. Sounds more like a casually-advised version of a restraining order and a warning that one will be obtained if need be -- because there is no power granted to the police to randomly tell people who they can or cannot contact.

                    Something missing here in the story.

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post

                      All sounds very odd. Sounds more like a casually-advised version of a restraining order and a warning that one will be obtained if need be -- because there is no power granted to the police to randomly tell people who they can or cannot contact.

                      Something missing here in the story.
                      Agree. Perhaps the banged up perp will post soon......
                      I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Once someone is in custody (or prison) contacting them is remarkably difficult.
                        Finding out where they are is often impossible unless you're a close relation, and it's not easy even then.
                        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                          Once someone is in custody (or prison) contacting them is remarkably difficult.
                          Finding out where they are is often impossible unless you're a close relation, and it's not easy even then.
                          You can find them if they agree to be found. If they don't agree then they can hardly expect their stuff to be cared for per their wishes

                          https://www.gov.uk/find-prisoner

                          Comment


                            #28
                            If you're not a person who is close enough to them to qualify, your request will simply be declined.
                            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Originally posted by theartfullodger View Post

                              Were you involved in any of these alleged offences -eg injured party?
                              YES. Unfortunately, I was. You will understand that it would be unwise to go into details here.

                              The charge was 'wounding with intent', which is serious. Obviously I am NOT going to be in contact with ex lodger. Police instructions and nobody in their right mind contemplates contacting an attacker anyway.
                              So that us why I needed to know what to do with the possessions.

                              Comment


                                #30
                                I suggest that my posts are read in full.

                                Comment

                                Latest Activity

                                Collapse

                                Working...
                                X