Flooding bathroom - who is responsible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flooding bathroom - who is responsible

Tenant is concerned that children splashing water from the washbasin will cause a problem to the lighting below. I'm also concerned about the floorboards. I realise someone needs to replace the lino flooring but who? And if there is more serious damage who is responsible?

Keeping the property safe is the landlord's responsibility.
    Not splashing water out of a washbasin is the tenant's.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

If the only sensible option is a new floor covering then its the landlords responsibility.

Comment

Is there any floor covering currently? Any water damage which is not the fault of blockages or leaks would be the T's responsibility including any electrical or floor damage.

It's not sensible for kids to be splashing water, this would cause injury to them and others as someone may slip and hit themselves on any number of items in the bathroom. If you took a property seeing the floor covering then you accepted the property as it is, It's up to the T then to either train the children, or to accept a higher rent if they want new flooring being laid.

Comment

More than "who is responsible if it happens" you should be asking (yourself) "who will have to sort it out if it happens".

That's the landlord - so the LL should take measures now to forestall any potential problem.

It doesn't sound like the current flooring is suitable for a family bathroom so the LL should be making the flooting good now to prevent any future issues/costs/disputes.

Comment

Fitting new vinyl will cost about £100-cheaper than consequent damage repairs

Comment

Bathrooms by definition get water on the floor at some point..... not buckets of the stuff obviously but there will be some, if the floor has either tiles or Lino and it is in good order then i don't see how the water can get to the property below, if it does then there really is too much water and that it down to the tenant who appears to be having a bath..... on the floor !!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X