Deposit Protection upon statutory periodic tenancy arising?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eras View Post
    What you are describing here is a Contractual Periodic Tenancy (CPT). It arises out of what is agreed in the initial fixed term agreement.
    What is being described is not a contractual periodic tenancy, because in a contractual periodic tenancy the terms relating to ending the tenancy remain in force.

You are falling victim to the same English/legal terminology issue, where "tenancy" has two slightly different meanings, the legal term being precise and the English term being looser.
    Most people renting a property over a long period would refer to the entirely of the let as their tenancy, and would be surprised that legally it might comprise a series of sequential individual tenancies.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Hi, sorry to be the bringer of bad news but that's not right. You do have a statutory periodic tenancy but this is not deemed to be a new tenancy by the TDS and they will not have required the landlord to deal with the deposit process again sorry. Also, in respect of the section 21 notice, provided everything else is in order then the notice will be valid.

Comment

Originally posted by KTC View Post
        You need to check the terms of the TDS scheme the deposit was protected under. The legalese, not the everyday article version, and see what it says exactly. And you need to find out formally in writing what happened around the time the fixed term ended. Only TDS or your landlord can tell you that.
        I've checked and the TDS confirm that there's no need to protect the deposit.

To be fair, they are pretty clear about it in their FAQ section - https://www.tenancydepositscheme.com...ancy-periodic/

First, they explain what they mean by a Periodic Tenancy - "If the tenant decides to stay on after the fixed-term and the landlord agrees, the Housing Act provides that it will run on a month-by-month or week-by-week basis depending on how the rent is paid. This is a periodic tenancy."

Then they answer the question - "Does the deposit need to be re-protected when the tenancy turns periodic?

If the deposit is held in either TDS’ Insured or Custodial scheme, the deposit is protected until the tenancy ends. As the tenancy turning periodic does not indicate the end of the tenancy, then the deposit would not need to be re-protected provided the tenant(s), landlord(s), premise, and deposit scheme all remain the same. However, there may be different rules for other tenancy deposit protection providers."

Other than the usual combined English and legal meanings of tenancy (because the tenancy doesn't "turn" periodic) that pretty much clear it up.

The explanation continues to say that, if a new fixed term is created and the deposit is insured, the deposit does need to be reinsured (and the PI reserved).

Interestingly (although I'm not a TDS customer so I have no experience of this), it also appears that the need to update the system to supply a new end date or mark the tenancy as periodic for an insured deposit applies only where the deposit is protected by a letting agent. So even that seems to be essentially cosmetic.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Sec 21 & Notice to Quit in same claim
          by Lawcruncher
          I cannot cite an authority, but I think that that has to be void for uncertainty....
          09-08-2022, 09:59 AM
        • Sec 21 & Notice to Quit in same claim
          by Carly
          I have a dodgy LL who issues Licences to occupy instead of tenancies. He knows he's on dodgy ground and has failed to get possession against a previous person because of it. He wants me out on a no fault basis (has called me a professional tenant for daring to get him to supply hot water and other things)!...
          18-06-2022, 14:53 PM
        • Reply to S8 Court Hearing
          by theartfullodger
          Assuming this is arrears, be aware tenant may claim there are outstanding repairs to be done (you'd probably disagree..) and if judge agrees with T then arrears reduced by judge's assessment of cost of repairs.

I.e. be prepared

Why not s21 please?
          09-08-2022, 09:57 AM
        • S8 Court Hearing
          by Steampigs
          Hi All

I have a hearing scheduled to evict my tenant using a Section 8 notice.

I have lodged my claim online (PCOL), but what other documents will I require?
          I assume:-
          Tenancy Agreement
          S8 and Certificate of Service
          Updated amount of arrears
          Details...
          08-08-2022, 21:27 PM
          by Lawcruncher
          It certainly looks like a tenancy, but there has to be doubt that it is an AST. The agreement contains a clause which says: "You shall occupy...as a licensee and no relationship of landlord or tenant is created".

To repeat and expand on what I said above, schedule 2A to the Housing...
          09-08-2022, 09:56 AM
        • Reply to Can I serve Section 21 Notice?
          by jpkeates
          Having no tenancy agreement means that if the tenants don't leave and you go to court, you can't use the accelerated procedure.

From what you've written, the only issue seems to be the EPC.
          09-08-2022, 09:36 AM
        • Can I serve Section 21 Notice?
          by Rubz2009
          Hi was hoping for some advise.
          I have tentants in my property on a AST agreement which started in 2013 and has been rolling to date. Tenants are behind on their rent by a couple of months (during covid times which they believe they still do not need to pay) and also always late on monthly payments...
          08-08-2022, 18:49 PM
        • Reply to Dps deposit
          by artin
          "I got the estate agents to put the deposit into my DPS account "? The agent usually transfer deposit into my bank a/c and I put it into my DPS a/c, is it possible for the agent put into your DPS account?

DPS will issue "deposit certificate" within 1-3 days, stating...
          09-08-2022, 09:19 AM
        • Dps deposit
          by Jm1972
          Hi All,

i would be grateful if I could get some help please.

I got an estate agents to find me a tenant and do all the paperwork and get proof of service for everything, tenant moved in and paid deposit just over a week ago.

The estate agents took the deposit from...
          08-08-2022, 22:40 PM
          by jpkeates
          There's a term in the agreement that allows the landlord to increase the rent without limit at any time.

So, in theory, the tenant has already agreed to the increase.
          And the existence of that clause means a section 13 notice can't be used (and the landlord can't admit it's a tenancy,...
          09-08-2022, 08:37 AM
        Working...
        X