Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brighton rent controls

https://www.landlordzone.co.uk/news/...tary-of-state/

Just wondering if it's just me thinking this, but I see this turning out really bad, very quickly.

My first thoughts were, tourist town introducing rent controls is going to see a rapid rise of houses being converted from PRS houses to Air BNB.
    If this happens, the council will soon regret the decision, but by the time they do, it will be too late.

Rent controls would require legislation which no one likely to ever form a government is contemplating at the moment.
    Political parties in cities can issue as many press releases as they like, but it's not possible for a local authority to introduce rent controls.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

In Brighton, they have the only Green MP in the country and also one of the few green Councils.

You would think the No #1 priority for the Green party would be Climate Emergency. They would be helping residents and landlords improve energy efficiency and EPC ratings.

Most of those seaside properties are single glazed sash window, as their residents who vote Green want to maintain period features.

Comment

Bristol is after rent controls but when a 2 bed terrace is 1500 + what level are they going to apply? Go low and landlords will disappear , we are already seeing renters move to the suburbs and there you now pay 1200 for a 2 bed, let the market decide

Comment

Whoops, all this will do is ensure lots more S21's get issued (before the ban) and the properties become Airb&b's or formal holiday lets........... they are like Turkeys voting for Christmas.

Comment

Flashback1966,

A sweeping statement, made without evidence.. The Greens prioritise climate issues but have to embrace other social issues.If they focus on climate some clever-dick will say they are a single issue party..

Comment

Originally posted by Hudson01 View Post
              Whoops, all this will do is ensure lots more S21's get issued (before the ban) and the properties become Airb&b's or formal holiday lets........... they are like Turkeys voting for Christmas.
              But in Brighton the prevalence of veganism means there are fewer turkeys to vote, and this makes your aphorism inaccurate.

Comment

Flashback1966,

You're right, insisting on EPC C or above would benefit tenants more.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie2020 View Post

Just wondering if it's just me thinking this, but I see this turning out really bad, very quickly.
                  My first thoughts were, tourist town introducing rent controls is going to see a rapid rise of houses being converted from PRS houses to Air BNB.
                  If this happens, the council will soon regret the decision, but by the time they do, it will be too late.
                  Nothing new, Brighton has been sending out anti-(good) landlord messages for years;

https://www.brightonandhovenews.org/...ate-landlords/

Green and Labour councillors have recommitted to working towards the selective licensing of private landlords in Brighton and Hove.

In 2017 Brighton and Hove City Council tried to introduce selective licensing of private properties

Comment

I doubt this Brighton landlord will be overly concerned by Brighton council's threats of landlord licencing and rent controls;

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-migrants.html

Comment

In Brighton, they have the only Green MP in the country and also one of the few green Councils.

You would think the No #1 priority for the Green party would be Climate Emergency. They would be helping residents and landlords improve energy efficiency and EPC ratings.

Most of those seaside properties are single glazed sash window, as their residents who vote Green want to maintain period features.

Originally posted by gnvqsos View Post
                      A sweeping statement, made without evidence.. The Greens prioritise climate issues but have to embrace other social issues. If they focus on climate some clever-dick will say they are a single issue party..
                      Evidence? Show me what the Greens have done in Brighton to deal with the Climate Emergency?. It is shocking the number of homes in Brighton, which have single glazing despite the high Green voter base. The Green voters in Brighton think Climate Change is someone elses problem.

You would think the Greens in Brighton would be leading the way and have a programme to reduce carbon footprint for homes and businesses. Why are n't they going door to door and helping homeowners, buinesseses and landlords to reduce carbon footprint and improve EPC ratings?.

The Greens in Brighton are hopeless. They introduced HMO licensing in Brighton, which have caused housing problems. They also supported tax increases (S24) on landlords. Why are n't the greens asking for tax breaks for energy efficiency?

Instead of asking for legal powers to introduce rent control, may be they should be asking Government help, so they can lead he fight against the Climate Emergency, especially if they have a mandate, as they have a Green voter base.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie2020 View Post

I imagine they’d also clamp down on Airbnb and holiday lets whilst they’re at it, or soon after like in Edinburgh.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland...-fife-60478178

Comment

It's all very interesting, but introducing rent controls isn't something that a local authority can do.

"Calling on central government" to do something that it's never going to do is just local PR.
                          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                            It's all very interesting, but introducing rent controls isn't something that a local authority can do.

"Calling on central government" to do something that it's never going to do is just local PR.
                            I agree but it's not necessarily all good PR. I avoid investing in anti-landlord council areas.

Comment

Originally posted by boletus View Post
                              I agree but it's not necessarily all good PR. I avoid investing in anti-landlord council areas.
                              A fair point (once again)!

Have you found any pro-landlord council areas?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to SDLT relief for multiple dwellings
                                by BIGGYBIBIG
                                I don`t make the rules my friend,,, i could easily have bought a block of flats the other day,,, tenanted by most of them for over 5 years 10 years 12 years etc,,, all long term but the state of the place i would not let my dog live like that,,, if it were all about money that would have been a great...
                                10-08-2022, 19:44 PM
                              • SDLT relief for multiple dwellings
                                by BIGGYBIBIG
                                Hello everyone,
                                I have had an offer accepted on a property purchase, subject to a surveyors report of £395,000 in England.

I am currently looking at surveyors but i just wanted to know where i stand in terms of stamp duty, costs etc.

I have phoned 5 different solicitors
                                10-08-2022, 19:20 PM
                              • Reply to SDLT relief for multiple dwellings
                                by AndrewDod
                                I don't know the answer, but if true this would be an absolute outrage.

Some little kid buying their own home where granny left them a quarter of a house that is rented out pays 3% additional tax

Someone who buys 8 properties pays 1%

Pity us all
                                10-08-2022, 19:32 PM
                              • Reply to Winter of Unpaid Bills
                                by SouthernDave
                                Good point...
                                10-08-2022, 19:09 PM
                              • Winter of Unpaid Bills
                                by jpucng62
                                Does anyone think their tenants are ready for the huge rises in energy bills this winter? Given that unit prices are expected to more than double from where we are now (and that is a big rise already) does anyone think tenants really have a grasp on this?

With mortgage rates going up fast...
                                10-08-2022, 10:50 AM
                                by DPT57
                                I'm more concerned at the possibility of a winter of unheated rental properties and then the tenants expecting me to deal with the resultant mold.
                                10-08-2022, 19:04 PM
                              • Reply to Dps deposit
                                by Codger
                                I think the deposit of five weeks rent is more trouble than its worth. Not taking deposits means being a bit more selective in choosing tenants.
                                Considering the value of the asset the tenants are trusted with the deposit rules are crazy. But thats only one of the red tape obstacles to being a...
                                10-08-2022, 18:22 PM
                              • Dps deposit
                                by Jm1972
                                Hi All,

i would be grateful if I could get some help please.

I got an estate agents to find me a tenant and do all the paperwork and get proof of service for everything, tenant moved in and paid deposit just over a week ago.

The estate agents took the deposit from...
                                08-08-2022, 22:40 PM
                                by jpkeates
                                The daft thing is that because people will owe them the money, it won't even affect the energy company profits.
                                10-08-2022, 16:52 PM
                              • Reply to Dps deposit
                                by jpkeates
                                Looking after a significant amount of someone else's money is not a trivial undertaking.

I spent most of my career designing and building business solutions to replace manual processes.
                                So I have a reasonable idea of what's possible.

There's nothing in it but downside...
                                10-08-2022, 16:50 PM
                              Working...
                              X