• gnvqsos
    replied
    Flashback1966,

I dont live in Brighton.

Leave a comment:

• boletus
    replied
    Originally posted by jpkeates View Post

Have you found any pro-landlord council areas?
    Ha ha! I wouldn't go that far.

Only in the same way as some Russian dictatorships are better than others.

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Originally posted by boletus View Post
    I agree but it's not necessarily all good PR. I avoid investing in anti-landlord council areas.
    A fair point (once again)!

Have you found any pro-landlord council areas?

Leave a comment:

• boletus
    replied
    Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
    It's all very interesting, but introducing rent controls isn't something that a local authority can do.

"Calling on central government" to do something that it's never going to do is just local PR.
    I agree but it's not necessarily all good PR. I avoid investing in anti-landlord council areas.

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    It's all very interesting, but introducing rent controls isn't something that a local authority can do.

"Calling on central government" to do something that it's never going to do is just local PR.

Leave a comment:

• DoricPixie
    replied
    Originally posted by Yorkie2020 View Post
    https://www.landlordzone.co.uk/news/...tary-of-state/

Just wondering if it's just me thinking this, but I see this turning out really bad, very quickly.

My first thoughts were, tourist town introducing rent controls is going to see a rapid rise of houses being converted from PRS houses to Air BNB.
    If this happens, the council will soon regret the decision, but by the time they do, it will be too late.
    I imagine they’d also clamp down on Airbnb and holiday lets whilst they’re at it, or soon after like in Edinburgh.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland...-fife-60478178

Leave a comment:

• Flashback1966
    replied
    In Brighton, they have the only Green MP in the country and also one of the few green Councils.

You would think the No #1 priority for the Green party would be Climate Emergency. They would be helping residents and landlords improve energy efficiency and EPC ratings.

Most of those seaside properties are single glazed sash window, as their residents who vote Green want to maintain period features.

Originally posted by gnvqsos View Post
    A sweeping statement, made without evidence.. The Greens prioritise climate issues but have to embrace other social issues. If they focus on climate some clever-dick will say they are a single issue party..
    Evidence? Show me what the Greens have done in Brighton to deal with the Climate Emergency?. It is shocking the number of homes in Brighton, which have single glazing despite the high Green voter base. The Green voters in Brighton think Climate Change is someone elses problem.

You would think the Greens in Brighton would be leading the way and have a programme to reduce carbon footprint for homes and businesses. Why are n't they going door to door and helping homeowners, buinesseses and landlords to reduce carbon footprint and improve EPC ratings?.

The Greens in Brighton are hopeless. They introduced HMO licensing in Brighton, which have caused housing problems. They also supported tax increases (S24) on landlords. Why are n't the greens asking for tax breaks for energy efficiency?

Instead of asking for legal powers to introduce rent control, may be they should be asking Government help, so they can lead he fight against the Climate Emergency, especially if they have a mandate, as they have a Green voter base.

Leave a comment:

• boletus
    replied
    I doubt this Brighton landlord will be overly concerned by Brighton council's threats of landlord licencing and rent controls;

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-migrants.html

Leave a comment:

• boletus
    replied
    Originally posted by Yorkie2020 View Post
    https://www.landlordzone.co.uk/news/...tary-of-state/

Just wondering if it's just me thinking this, but I see this turning out really bad, very quickly.
    My first thoughts were, tourist town introducing rent controls is going to see a rapid rise of houses being converted from PRS houses to Air BNB.
    If this happens, the council will soon regret the decision, but by the time they do, it will be too late.
    Nothing new, Brighton has been sending out anti-(good) landlord messages for years;

https://www.brightonandhovenews.org/...ate-landlords/

Green and Labour councillors have recommitted to working towards the selective licensing of private landlords in Brighton and Hove.

In 2017 Brighton and Hove City Council tried to introduce selective licensing of private properties

Leave a comment:

• Section20z
    replied
    Flashback1966,

You're right, insisting on EPC C or above would benefit tenants more.

Leave a comment:

• gnvqsos
    replied
    Originally posted by Hudson01 View Post
    Whoops, all this will do is ensure lots more S21's get issued (before the ban) and the properties become Airb&b's or formal holiday lets........... they are like Turkeys voting for Christmas.
    But in Brighton the prevalence of veganism means there are fewer turkeys to vote, and this makes your aphorism inaccurate.

Leave a comment:

• gnvqsos
    replied
    Flashback1966,

A sweeping statement, made without evidence.. The Greens prioritise climate issues but have to embrace other social issues.If they focus on climate some clever-dick will say they are a single issue party..

Leave a comment:

• Hudson01
    replied
    Whoops, all this will do is ensure lots more S21's get issued (before the ban) and the properties become Airb&b's or formal holiday lets........... they are like Turkeys voting for Christmas.

Leave a comment:

• jase222
    replied
    Bristol is after rent controls but when a 2 bed terrace is 1500 + what level are they going to apply? Go low and landlords will disappear , we are already seeing renters move to the suburbs and there you now pay 1200 for a 2 bed, let the market decide

Leave a comment:

• Flashback1966
    replied
    In Brighton, they have the only Green MP in the country and also one of the few green Councils.

You would think the No #1 priority for the Green party would be Climate Emergency. They would be helping residents and landlords improve energy efficiency and EPC ratings.

Most of those seaside properties are single glazed sash window, as their residents who vote Green want to maintain period features.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X