Making a tenant bankrupt - Is it worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post

Your chances of recovering any of the money owed by the tenant have just become close to zero.
    I know... I am so pissed now.

I now just want to screw her over if I can. Any ideas lol? I also just found (by speaking to the courts) that she got evicted from her last house by baliffs too. Not sure I mentioned this in another post, but we got her as she was a friend of a friend who vouced for her. She had bad credt history then but the friend and her said it was due to her ex-husband... I was dumb ofc to believe them, but it doesn't change the fact she is scum so now I want to do what I can to make it difficult for her.

Also, how is not fraud if she is getting additional money to pay for rent if she is not paying it?

Comment

Originally posted by mucker973 View Post
      Also, how is not fraud if she is getting additional money to pay for rent if she is not paying it?
      Your entitlement to elements of Universal Credit depends on your circumstances, not what you actually spend or pay out.

If you rent a property, the amount you receive as a single person would be designed to cover a room in shared house, for example.

And you're entitled to that whether or not you pass it onto your landlord, because that's how universal credit works, you're meant to manage your own money.

If the court awarded possession for rent owed, until you take some enforcement action, they won't even register the ccj against the tenant, so you should escalate the issue to at least get it registered.

I'd also let your friend know what their friend's done to you.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

You can apply online for the housing element of UC to be paid direct to you - see:-

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ears-deduction

It is surprisingly quick and easy, my first payment came through about 3 weeks after applying. You might not get much but worth a go

Comment

If the court awarded possession for rent owed, until you take some enforcement action, they won't even register the ccj against the tenant, so you should escalate the issue to at least get it registered.
          Not sure I understand you here. The CCJ has been ordered and the enforcement I am seeking was going to be through attachment of earnings. What do you mean by it getting "registered" and who are "they" in this context?

thanks

Comment

davetg,

thanks, I guess its worth a go cause this knows how to play the game and might be there longer than I expect!

Comment

Not sure I understand you here. The CCJ has been ordered and the enforcement I am seeking was going to be through attachment of earnings. What do you mean by it getting "registered" and who are "they" in this context?
              if the court order was linked to the possession hearing (i.e. the possession was on the grounds of rent owed) the judgement will result in a possession order, but the judgement itself isn't added to any register automatically (like it is in the small claims court), so a ccj won't show up on anyone's credit record.

"They" was meant to indicate the court system.

If you do start to escalate your claim (which you can start for £50 - https://www.moneyclaimsuk.co.uk/orde...formation.aspx) it should be entered onto the register of county court judgements and it would then affect the tenant's credit history.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

jpkeates ah i see what you mean now. Well it turns out the judge did order a money judgement as well. I remember him specifically asking if I wanted that too and he did so I assume this is the CCJ you speak of right? I have a letter from the court which was sent to her and me stating she is ordered to pay the money back I am owed and was to do so in two weeks (which has now elapsed)

Comment

Check they are entered on the register here (costs £6);

https://www.trustonline.org.uk/

Most evictions aren't registered.

Comment

jpkeates ah i see what you mean now. Well it turns out the judge did order a money judgement as well. I remember him specifically asking if I wanted that too and he did so I assume this is the CCJ you speak of right?
                    Unless the judgement is on the public register it's not really going to cause the tenant any inconvenience if they ignore it.

Time for the Order to Obtain Information and to request that the court enters the judgement on the public register.
                    That's a different level for a tenant.

If they ignore the OOI, that's an arrestable offence.
                    From everything you've posted, the chances are that the tenant won't be able to pay you anything, and the court will simply reach the same conclusion.
                    But even the most low value payment plan can be enforced by dragging the tenant back to court when they fail to make a payment.
                    If one of the goals is to make the tenant's life a little less enjoyable that's a start.

Comment

Time for the Order to Obtain Information and to request that the court enters the judgement on the public register.

Thanks, I've never heard of this, any links or advice on how to get this one started?

Comment

https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-...rce-a-judgment

Comment

Is this the OOI you refer to? https://www.gov.uk/government/public...or-questioning

It's called something slighly different but looks the same, maybe the name has changed...

Comment

mucker973,

the problem with making the tenant bankrupt is that you are probably going to receive nothing if you do that. If your hope is to get your money back, you would be better off with either the attachment of earnings or waiting to see how the tenant does finanicially going forward. If the tenant wins the lottery, gets a better job, brand new car etc the likelihood of you getting your money increases. The only LLs that i have seen make their resi-tenant bankrupt have either done it becuase they believed they had assets before starting proceedings or because they had an axe to grind (not commenting as to whetehr it was valid or not!)

Comment

I can see the sensible financial argument about making an attachment of earnings but it appears the OP will get nothing back anyway, i would wish to take the action that would cause this serial defaulter the maximum damage to her being able to obtain another property to rent, she clealry is very skilled at not paying rent and being evicted, i see nothing in all the posts to indicate she will change, i would be of the opinion that no money will be coming my way so i would do what is needed, and if that is to bankrupt her then that is what would happen............. i would however do as others have said and speak with your '' friend '' ! They are either nothing of the sort or they were hoodwinked as well.
                              Last edited by Hudson01; 30-05-2022, 07:43 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Is this the OOI you refer to? https://www.gov.uk/government/public...or-questioning

It's called something slighly different but looks the same, maybe the name has changed...
                                Yes N316 is the correct form. See the guidance: EX324 - How do I apply for an order? (moneyclaimsuk.co.uk)

There is a fee for filing the N316, not a huge amount, but in trying to inconvenience the tenant you are also hurting yourself a little bit.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Letting out flat with WIFI included
                                  by Saladboy
                                  Hi All,

since I plan to move in with my partner and rent out my 1 bedroom, would you suggest a short term (like airbnb or similar) or a traditional 6m/1y contract rent? I’d not move the furniture so it would be furnished, and internet will be included since I’m under contract.
                                  16-08-2022, 15:48 PM
                                • Bankrupty Order
                                  by VictoriaH
                                  How much of an adverse affect can this have on a tenant?
                                  I've got a tenant who's playing the system, waiting for their eviction and CCJ
                                  What adverse affect can a bankruptcy order have over a CCJ on a tenant?...
                                  16-08-2022, 15:26 PM
                                • Reply to Future Issues for LL and Tenants
                                  by jpkeates
                                  People will have to start paying a wage people can live on.

And if there are fewer people there, there's less support needed....
                                  16-08-2022, 14:59 PM
                                • Future Issues for LL and Tenants
                                  by Hudson01
                                  Looking at the news today (similar to yesterday and the day before), they are talking about combined energy bills of 4-5k a year...... by April 2023. There are many properties up north where the combined rental per annum is between 6-7k....... that is insane.

Could we have a situation...
                                  13-08-2022, 22:08 PM
                                  by DoricPixie
                                  No teachers, no nurses, no care workers, no one collecting the rubbish and recycling? Who’s going to do all those jobs in London if they heave been forced to move out....
                                  16-08-2022, 14:43 PM
                                • Reply to Capital Gains Tax
                                  by Codger
                                  It is upsetting to pay tax on inflation. Years ago there was a system for allowing for inflation but the tax was higher then.
                                  But there is no sympathy for landlords now so we cannot do much.
                                  16-08-2022, 14:13 PM
                                • Capital Gains Tax
                                  by LVA
                                  Apologies if this has been covered in this website but I've looked and cannot find...

I bought my flat in 1997, rented it out in 2001 (ish), returned to live in it in March 2020. Its approx 27 years ownership and 7 ish years living in it.

My accountant tells me the CGT...
                                  16-08-2022, 12:59 PM
                                • Reply to Capital Gains Tax
                                  by jpucng62
                                  But you have had 20 years of rent as well as the huge gain left after CGT!...
                                  16-08-2022, 14:12 PM
                                  by jpkeates
                                  That's a sensible point to make.

I wasn't suggesting that people gradually move further and further into the economic wilderness as things get worse!

I moved once, out of London and the South East, which is, in England, where I think the problem is.
                                  People who earn "normal...
                                  16-08-2022, 14:04 PM
                                  by royw
                                  And of course the rent has gone up because of greedy landlords and has absolutely nothing to do with supply and demand. Approx 10 million immigrants all of whom need a home but no one told the land manufacturers so we have no extra land to build millions of houses on (ditto water and food)....
                                  16-08-2022, 13:57 PM
                                Working...
                                X