Whatever happened to the tidal wave of evictions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hudson01
    replied
    Originally posted by SouthernDave View Post

mr Khan is a moron
    Never a truer statement has been written.

Leave a comment:

• SouthernDave
    replied
    Originally posted by boletus View Post
    Tidal wave? London mayor Sadiq Khan was warning of a tsunami! ;

https://www.london.gov.uk/press-rele...iction-tsunami
    mr Khan is a moron

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    Many many tenants leave when served s21 , more when court papers served etc etc. Any tidal wave/tsunami may become visible later than now, if at all.

Leave a comment:

• NaomiB
    replied
    I got a response from the court about my accelerated possession claim and my tenant must respond by 26 May. After that I'm not expecting to hear back from the court very quickly but when I finally get the warrant of possession I will use the court bailiffs.

This morning I've been looking round online to see who to contact to get some idea of how long I would have to wait for the bailiffs to attend in my area but it seems that the only bailiffs online are the ones who carry out high court evictions.

Should I ring up the court and ask someone there?

I'm not in a terrible hurry as I am having hip replacement surgery in two weeks time and I don't know how long it will take me to fully recover. To get the flat back in August would be good so the family can help with sorting out the flat but your 27 weeks will take me up to the end of October.

Leave a comment:

• Parkers4
    replied
    Originally posted by Hudson01 View Post

I am not too far behind you, but my tenants are fantastic and it will be a very hard day when i serve them notice, but i just want to '' cash in '' now and enjoy my latter years, let others take the stress, god help all the local authorities around the country...... they are in for an onslaught.
    We moved for work & rented our home out, while renting ourselves - local prices are way out of our league, so we will sell (subject to threats of a market crash) & move to a cheaper part of the country & to heck with friends where we are....

Leave a comment:

• Hudson01
    replied
    Originally posted by Parkers4 View Post
    & then I can sell it & pay off the CGT on my 'gains'
    I am not too far behind you, but my tenants are fantastic and it will be a very hard day when i serve them notice, but i just want to '' cash in '' now and enjoy my latter years, let others take the stress, god help all the local authorities around the country...... they are in for an onslaught.

Leave a comment:

• Parkers4
    replied
    Well I served notice 2 months ago & they are out! I didn't do it to switch to Airbnb or go for a bigger rent, I did it because they failed to treat my property with care or 'respect' & I was sick of the stress

I now face a £400 cleaning bill, £600 gardening bill (why rent a garden & leave it for 8 years & why do agents go 'well maintained inside & out)

plus total redecoration inside & out, new carpets due to soiling & pet fur, replace most light fittings, smashed cooker, replace all the 10w candle bulbs with more led bulbs that I fitted for the EPC, that disappeared, replaced the hammered kitchen mixer tap

& then I can sell it & pay off the CGT on my 'gains'

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Originally posted by ash72 View Post
    Stat's are one thing, reality and being in the middle of trying to get your property back is another, just feel sorry for those LL's who are trying to get back possession even after 27 weeks (7 months) it's a long time!!!
    If you break it down further, it's better for the landlord.
    The median time from claim to possession order (which is 60 odd percent of the time, the result) is under 11 weeks (say just under three months), so from that point, possession is pretty much inevitable.
    So it's frustrating, but at least if you know the likely timetable it's just slower than you might prefer, but there's nothing you can do about it.

And I'd imagine it's more stressful for the tenant in a lot of cases.

Leave a comment:

• ash72
    replied
    Stat's are one thing, reality and being in the middle of trying to get your property back is another, just feel sorry for those LL's who are trying to get back possession even after 27 weeks (7 months) it's a long time!!!

Leave a comment:

• boletus
    replied
    Tidal wave? London mayor Sadiq Khan was warning of a tsunami! ;

https://www.london.gov.uk/press-rele...iction-tsunami

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    started a topic Whatever happened to the tidal wave of evictions?

Whatever happened to the tidal wave of evictions?

The latest government figures for possession claims have been published, which cover January through March 2022.
    That's post Covid restrictions and would probably include most of the last of the Covid backlog.

And there's no sign of the massive wave of evictions and resulting mass homelessness that was predicted in a number of places.
    Instead, landlord possession claims are still more than 35% down overall on the same period in 2019 (which is the last pre-covid year).
    And 40% down on the same quarter in 2018 and 45% down on 2017.

There's no evidence at all of any backlog being cleared, large or otherwise.
    Possession claims have fallen every year since 2013 (ignoring the pandemic years) and it looks like they've continued to fall at the same rate.

And, as far as it's possible to tell, the drop is almost entirely due to a decrease in the number of possession claims by social landlords,
    as private landlord claims are broadly back to their "normal" levels.
    The number of claims that can be identified as social landlord claims is maybe two-thirds of what might be seen as the previously "normal" level.

And timescales are still a bit difficult, the median time from court claim to possession being over 27 weeks (compared to about 21 weeks in 2019),
    but it's much better than during the pandemic (the same figure for the first quarter of last year was nearly 58 weeks - although there were fewer than 300 actual possessions in the 2021 period, so it's possibly not that meaningful).

Regional variations are still significant, London has 7 of the top 10 local authorities by claims per household, rising to 9 out of the top 10 for actual possessions.
    Only 19 local authorities saw zero possessions by bailiffs in the period.

Broadly, back to "normal"?

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X