notifying utility companies of tenant change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

notifying utility companies of tenant change

Does anyone have a shortcut? Right now we seem to have to hang on interminably long on the phone to provide details of leaver readings, put the account back in landlords name and then to provide new tenants' details when the place is re-let. Anyone know of a shortcut? We used to send out letters but apparently the utility companies dont bother reading incoming letters and want the infomation by phone call to the call centre. Any assistance gratefully received.

I've not found any short-cuts, as each company has their own quirks on dealing with this. It usually takes a couple of calls to a customer services person to provide the information, due to GDPR they wont say anything about the exiting T.

Some Councils, seem to have an online form you can fill out about the old and new T details, so you don't need to speak with anyone. I also send an email to the council department as well.

Water Companies you can use landlordtap,com to update the information, I usually call the water company up.

There's a lot of admin work you have to do when a T leaves and a new T moves in.

Comment

You’re not really putting the account back into the landlord’s name, you’re opening a new account.

I thought the majority of utility suppliers let you set up a new account online as they don’t really want you phoning them either. Closing the account is all done online too and the only details I provide are the closing meter readings and the name(s) of the new occupant(s). I would not waste any time on hold or being bounced around from department to department in a contact centre.

Comment

but how can you give the information online if you dont have the password of the tenant vacating?

Comment

You don't need the password of the vacating tenant. Their account with the utility company has nothing to do with you as you are setting up a new account not taking over the tenant's account. The section on the websites is usually called something like "Moving Home" and although you're not actually moving home since you're the landlord that's how you set up a new account with the utility supplier in your name.

Comment

appreciate your advice.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X