Single parent renting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Another Fine Mess View Post
    I will never again rent to a family as my property is unsuitable.
    ... when I went to the house there were maidens in front of the radiators ...
    Were they not named on the tenancy agreement?
    Assume I know nothing.

Comment

She wants to move for reasons that are personal to her, I can't act as her gaurantor I'm the one helping her with her kids and I'm no position to do this. Some landlords need to give their heads a wobble and give single parents the benefit of the doubt

Comment

Originally posted by Dct View Post
        .......... and give single parents the benefit of the doubt
        But we don't, as said in another post, we are a business and as such we pick and choose whom we feel will be best suited to our properties and will cause the least issues. The real culprits in all of this are the (and previous) governments, who, over many decades, have failed to build enough social housing, the PRS are not the answer to the ever increasing reliance of those on benefits to provide housing. A lot of those on UC have complex needs (not saying your friend does), these needs can range from severe mental health issues, substance abuse problems, criminal offences. etc.

Why would a private individual take on (or even risk at all) anyone who could possibly fit that circumstance ? Especially when there are many many others out there with no ' story to tell ' , just average people who have careers with good salaries, no children and have been in the same job for years.

The simple answer is they won't.

This WILL get worse, and i honestly do not know the answer, if the EPC C changes come in then i myself will be selling all my properties as i refuse to spend 10's of thousands of pounds to change them, they are mortgage free and i am coming up to finishing work, there are plenty of landlords just like me who will simply ' cash out', and if we all make the same decision then your friend will be in an even worse position. There is no right or wrong in this, its just the way the market has been altered by years of landlords being the whipping boy of the government.

Comment

It’s a business at the end of the day and not the social services department. As coy and nasty as that sound sit is what it is.

Comment

Some landlords need to give their heads a wobble and give single parents the benefit of the doubt
            Why?

This is someone we don't know.

Their ability to pay their rent is partially in the control of a government department notorious for sanctioning tenants by suspending payment of benefits.

Given their situation, if there is any shortage of funds they would (quite correctly) prioritise their child over their landlord.

There are other tenants who do not have these issues.

I am not responsible for her situation.
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I never said you were responsible for her situation I am just trying to point out that she feels because she has children , is single and in receipt of UC which is ONLY used to pay for childcare NOT rent she is unfairly dismissed. I appreciate that LLs have it hard as well

Comment

I can't act as her gaurantor
                So you know her and can't/won't act as her guarantor but a complete stranger landlord should take the risk?

Comment

Dct I'd suggest she makes that clear when she's talking to agents and landlords.

"I'm working and get child support from benefits" is very different than "I'm on UC".
                  When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                  Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I have no idea if this is even realistic financially but has your friend looked into HTB shared ownership. If I was facing the prospect of having to rent long term in England's private rental sector I would seriously consider shared ownership as a way of getting more security of tenure. The only other way of getting that security would be to hang on to the bitter end once a landlord serves you a Section 21 and hope that the local authority will then house you.

Comment

Originally posted by DoricPixie View Post
                      I would seriously consider shared ownership as a way of getting more security of tenure.
                      You wouldn't. You'd casually glance at it for half an hour before dismissing it as a rip-off.

The only other way of getting that security would be to hang on to the bitter end once a landlord serves you a Section 21 and hope that the local authority will then house you.
                      Or just find a long term landlord and keep to your part of your agreement.

Comment

Originally posted by boletus View Post

You wouldn't. You'd casually glance at it for half an hour before dismissing it as a rip-off.
                        Shared ownership works well for some people. The first place I bought was shared equity which is similar(ish) and it worked for me.

Easier said that done when the advice on the forum is 6 month fixed term followed by periodic. A change in the landlord's situation can result in a Section 21.

Comment

i looked into shared ownership many moons ago and decided against it. Still paying rent end of the day and there are many catches to buying it. Glorified renting basically. Service charges, can’t sell to who you want if you decide to buy something else and loads of other reasons I haven’t touched upon.

Either buy freehold full mortgage with deposit or carry on slogging the saving up game while renting to get ful ownership.

looks nice and tempting the new builds with half ownership etx but it’s not all what it cracks up to be.

Comment

Originally posted by DoricPixie View Post
                            Easier said that done when the advice on the forum is 6 month fixed term followed by periodic. A change in the landlord's situation can result in a Section 21.
                            It is a possibility but it isn't likely. The chances of a long term landlord serving a section 21 on a good tenant is less than 1%.

And without section 21 the availability of private rentals will be severely depleted.

Each to their own but I'd prefer a private rental over a council sink estate/shared ownership scam everytime.

Comment

Originally posted by mokka View Post

looks nice and tempting the new builds with half ownership etx but it’s not all what it cracks up to be.
                              Agreed, I've bought some repossessed shared ownerships for less than half the previous full sold price.

Comment

Life is hard as it is. Why make it harder? So damn right I am gonna discriminate against certain potential tenants in order to make life easier for myself.

Just the way the world works I am afraid.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                                X