X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant problem

Hi
    I had a tenant move in to a property on a ast via my agent,
    after a month he wanted to move out which was fine by me as long as he paid costs involved.
    the agent agreed that he (tenant)would pay all charges including there £300.
    Well the agent found a tenant and all was agreed until we decided to move in temporarily ourselves and we notified the agent who charged us £265 for the references they had done so far.
    My question is should the tenant have paid the references out of there pocket who every moved in or what if the tenant failed credit search ?once or multiple times.
    I will be later asking for a breakdown of what the agent is charging the tenant.
    Any help would be appreciated

There are rules about how much you can charge under the Tenancy Fee Act 2019 (fees for early termination start in p56) and you’d need to see what the letting agency agreed with the tenant on your behalf regarding fees. If the letting agency agreed the tenant had to pay £300 for ending the tenancy later you couldn’t go back for a second bite at the cherry should someone fail referencing.

https://assets.publishing.service.go...nts.pdf#page53

Comment

I assume the property is mortgage-free or you are probably in breach of your mortgage terms by moving-in.

Comment

Originally posted by jase222 View Post
        My question is should the tenant have paid the references out of there pocket who every moved in or what if the tenant failed credit search ?once or multiple times.
        Those are things that should have been sorted out when you were agreeing the terms of the tenancy ending early.

If the tenant agreed to pay £300, and the costs associated with them moving out was £265, the £35 difference can't be charged to the tenant.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X