Tenant has replaced 'faulty' white goods with new inferior products

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant has replaced 'faulty' white goods with new inferior products

My tenants are due to leave soon & today I've been told they replaced the existing washer dryer with a washing machine, because it stopped working

They have offered to leave it...

Ok, it was new in 2012, wasn't used by the previous tenants (they took their washing home to mum at weekends), so it's had a good innings, but they didn't tell the agent or myself until now

It had an extended warranty & appliance insurance (new for old) which I have been paying for since that ran out, so it's seems my £600 W/D Zanussi unit has been replaced with a £200 Beco Washer unit

Do I even bother to do anything with deposit schemes saying its service life is 5 years?

Originally posted by Parkers4 View Post
    Do I even bother to do anything with deposit schemes saying its service life is 5 years?
    I wouldn't bother, personally.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

White goods - the mistake that keeps on giving....

Comment

You are not going to get anything from the deposit, so you might as well take what is being offered.

You could then leave it in there for the next tenant, or replace it, your choice.

PS. My 8 year old Beko washer (£250) is still going strong and still looks like new.

Comment

you're lucky, one dick head tenant i had broke 3 cookers in 4 years.

I wish my tenants would replace their whtie good when they get faulty.

although a lot comes down to the tenant, dick head tenant will break everything possible.

Really good tenant will treat like their own, unfortunately this is just a business expense

Comment

I would find out how old the replacement washing machine is, if it's 5-8 years I would personally tell them to take it as a goodwill gesture, then don't but another one in, let the new T decide if they want to have one or not. I've put Beko's in a rental which has had 4 different T's for the last 10 years, and no issues, I do annual put in a limescale cleaner, as the property is in a hard water area.... and it's still going strong with no issues.

Comment

As others say above - probably not worth the bother with the deposit. However, if there are other issues with the property that you want to claim for you can then use it as a trade off during any (non-tribunal) negotiations. I would still be a bit annoyed as the fault with yours could have been easily repaired – and maybe for free with your insurance if I understand your post correctly.

Weird that they didn’t just tell you about the fault and ask you to repair it, rather than them stumping up for a new washer. Maybe they sold your good one on ebay and replaced it with a much cheaper one off ebay, who knows? Not me. Never had a tenant putting hand in pocket when not needed to unless they deliberately broke something. Chucking yours away without asking etc first is quite a liberty IMO, but again if they have otherwise been good tenants not worth the hassle of doing anything. At the very least it leaves you with an unsolved mystery and a dinner party anecdote 😊
              All advice given by me is purely on the basis of being ‘in my opinion’: please check with the relevant professional before acting on it. If my advice saves you money, mine's a pint.

Comment

Just out of interest, is no inspections being carried out? It may have been picked up during it, and you could have asked the T what happened to your item.

Comment

6 month inspection by agent, except during covid. - I guess they didn't spot 1 white machine replaced with another!

Good tenant??? - not capable of changing light bulbs, demanding electric power shower upgrade when shower head blocked by scale, flooded bathroom, ruined kitchen ceiling, messed up window fitting & hinges, slapped emulsion paint on fence & gate, overgrown garden, kept a dog against terms, broke expensive loo seat & replaced with something from a £1 shop, slapped paint on various walls to cover their marks & so on

- thus is going to be the last tenancy, I'm done. get the place sorted, moved back in or sell, but no more renting it out!

Comment

So the missing washer dryer has appeared in the garage, recorded on the Check out inventory - makes you wonder if it had gone elsewhere...

Well they left, haven't cleaned, pet hairs everywhere apparently (no pets allowed), missing ceiling fan parts, mismatched dabs of paint covering scrapes on walls, filthy walls judging by the photos, bulbs missing, the garden is now a jungle (it had been overhauled at a £400 cost before they moved in), missing blinds & curtains, Bath panel destroyed by water, since Feb.

Agent wants £120/hour admin fee for any claim to TDS

Anyone had any joy from TDS or are they anti-landlord?

Comment

Originally posted by Parkers4 View Post

Anyone had any joy from TDS or are they anti-landlord?
                      Complete waste of time making a case in my experience. I received less than the cost of the two inventories. In view of this I no longer take deposits, or inventories.
                      To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                      X