Huge change for renters to be announced TOMORROW in major shake-up of tenant’s rights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Huge change for renters to be announced TOMORROW in major shake-up of tenant’s rights

Opinions?

RENTERS will finally be given rights against shameless landlords chucking them out for no reason.

The long-awaited protections against "no fault" evictions are expected to appear in tomorrow's Queen's Speech.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/18507...-be-announced/

It depends what they replace it with.

If they follow the model used in Scotland, I'll probably suck it and see.
    If they simply remove section 21 notices and don't replace them with something sensible, I'll end my property investment business and put my money into something else.

It's quite hard to predict what these morons might do.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Anyone here ever chucked anyone out for no reason?
      To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
        It's quite hard to predict what these morons might do.
        Indeed - pity the poor tenants with these fools making up rules without having a clue what they are about. Even with the Scottish model, tenants are going to get put through the mill before being offered anything. A licence to steal does not benefit anyone except crooks.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
          Anyone here ever chucked anyone out for no reason?
          I have never chucked anyone out, i pick my tenants like i would pick a babysitter for my one and only golden child !! But if i had too i cannot see any sensible reason why i would throw out a tenant who was paying the rent on time, looking after the place and causing zero issues for the neighbours...... if i did, then my business deserves to fail.

Comment

Will the last landlord to leave please turn off the lights...

Comment

Originally posted by mokka View Post
              Opinions?

RENTERS will finally be given rights against shameless landlords chucking them out for no reason.

[/URL]
              Just because the notice given does not specify a fault does not mean there isn't one! It is a much repeated fallacy that LLs evict good tenants for no reason. If S21 is abolished and LLs have to use other grounds to evict we will see exactly what tenants are evicted for. This will be rent arrears, bad behaviour, not looking after the property, etc

In 20 years I have issued one S21 - to sell a property, which is almost certainly still going to be a valid reason. All the abolition of S21 will do is hasten the departure from the PRS of decent LLs, ahead of the full on exit caused when EPC C is announced!

Comment

The legislation may not end evictions ,but will probably lengthen the period of notice. The Tories need the support of landlords, many of whom adhere to their core neo-liberal principles, and their addiction to profit and free markets.

Comment

I've been following this whole debate with interest.

TBH the only reason that I can see for bemoaning the demise of S21 is if you frequently use it to evict tenants for no significant reason.

Nobody is saying that you will no longer be able to evict anyone; just that you will have to give a reason why you want to evict them.

If you do have good reason for wanting to evict then S8 covers it and will still be available. (Agreed that it needs an added clause regarding genuinely wanting to sell the property being good reason).

So the only real change is that you will have to state a reason for wanting to evict, which the tenant can challenge.
                  That shouldn't be a problem if you do have a good reason, if it's good then their challenge will fail.

All S21 is/was doing was denying the tenant any right to challenge why they were being evicted, or even to know just why they were being evicted.
                  That's Dickensian.

Comment

I know all the landlords on this forum are paragons of virtue but there are some right bastards out there who do use the Section 21 as a Sword of Damocles. The Section 21 issue wasn't helped by letting agents issuing notices to strong arm tenants into signing new fixed term agreements and of course collecting the juicy fees that comes with it. In short it is really other landlords and letting agencies who ruined the Section 21 for you.

Comment

Originally posted by DoricPixie View Post
                      I know all the landlords on this forum are paragons of virtue but there are some right bastards out there who do use the Section 21 as a Sword of Damocles. The Section 21 issue wasn't helped by letting agents issuing notices to strong arm tenants into signing new fixed term agreements and of course collecting the juicy fees that comes with it. In short it is really other landlords and letting agencies who ruined the Section 21 for you.
                      paragons of virtue-a very generous appraisal!

Comment

I agree with DoricPixie there.

Just another thought: When s21 is abolished it should be done immediately/overnight.

If it isn't done that way then I forsee a rush of s21's from dodgy/indifferent LL's to try and beat any deadline and evict tenants for reasons that are other than 'good reason'.

Comment

The problem with s8, and why we don't use it much is that it can be defended with spurious tales of 'disrepair'. Then you get a many month delay in evicting a tenant who is already two months in arrears, while TPTB arrange surveys.
                          To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

I currently have three empty properties sounds like they all need selling.

Comment

I think part of the issue is that there's no real evidence that there are lots and lots of section 21 notices being served on tenants for no reason, but there is evidence that lots of tenants are worried that they might be served notice.
                              So that, even if they are happy where they are living and paying the rent and being great tenants, there's an underlying fear that notice can just come out of the blue and upend their lives.

A lot of that fear is stoked by the media and organisations like Shelter; so it's a self fulfilling problem.
                              Most tenants don't know their rights and obligations (which is probably true of most landlords, to be fair), so it's easy to be unnerved by what you read.

In the same way, I don't really think the existence or not of section 21 is a key element in most landlord's decisions whether to become landlords or not.
                              I'd say (nowadays at least) the key driver is the availability of a property and the assurances of agents and mates that property is an easy way to make extra income.
                              Changes to section 21 may make some knowledgable and experienced landlords review their investments, and, alongside other adverse changes, it might be enough to cause some to sell up.

I think the way that the changes are being portrayed is destructive and will have two negative impacts.
                              It will dissuade some potential landlords from becoming landlords and will escalate some landlords leaving the market.
                              There's a shortage of rental property already, so that will increase the shortage.
                              The change isn't really predictable, but isn't going to be zero - so that's a negative.

And changing no fault evictions to be reason based will increase the scope for tenants to be seen to make themselves homeless, which is one of the reasons it's going to go through.
                              It removes a local authority duty in some cases, which will save costs (and negatively affect people who no one cares about).

At present, if a tenant doesn't pay their rent, or doesn't pay all of their rent, Section 21 is a convenient way to resolve the issue.
                              If those cases go down the Section 8 route (as they are probably meant to), the process will be more stressful for everyone and the outcome is likely to be worse for many tenants.

And, assuming the changes are as expected, some landlords who have a problem tenant are going to be incentivised to resolve the situation by selling the property to end the issue.
                              If the choice is going through a relatively complex series of events to prove a debt or breaches of agreement or simply selling up and following a more simple process, some people are going to take the easier option.
                              Which again isn't a positive.

What was needed, but is no politically impossible was a review of the process, because there are things that are wrong.
                              2 month's notice is too short for a section 21 notice.
                              Section 8 notice hearings approach to unreported disrepair doesn't work.
                              Section 8 ground 1 needs to extend to a landlord who wants to sell their property.
                              Removing the local authority involvement for some retaliatory evictions would be sensible.
                              Offering a tax break for extending follow on tenancies after (say) two years would be appealing to help long term tenants.

But we're left with daft headlines and (usually) no coherent action, if only because Housing ministers have shorter lifespans than gerbils.
                              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X