Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landlord is evicting us....Help

Hi guys,

Over the past three years my girlfriend and I have run into considerable troubles with our landlord. He continually leaves the place in a state of disrepair, tells us that fixes will be made and then does nothing and then when we confront him or anyone at his letting agency they simply deny that any such promises were made and then informs us of hostile behaviour.

The final straw has came when the agency promised to replace the windows (and even sent out someone to measure up the windows for replacing). Several months passed and nothing was changed (even though the windows are rotting to the point of being unsuitable for their purpose).

We approached the agency via letter and telephone calls only to be told to stop harassing them and that no such windows had been promised. The end result has been that we wrote a letter stating we would pursue the disrepair through proper channels (i.e. legal) if they refused to change them.

Now instead of dealing with the issue at hand the landlord has decided to end our tenancy and we are to leave by the 31rst of December. This is completely out of the question since neither of us will be around at Christmas time and we feel angered that the landlord is obviously doing this to spite us. We have never been bad tenants nor defaulted on rent and we want to know how we can challenge the landlord since he has obviously failed to maintain the property and instead of providing us with what we are entitled to he is instead in effect evicting us.

Can we fight this and under what grounds? We need to be able to stay in the property for at least another three month as we had planned to move out in March.

We have several letters stating our issues over the past few years and on one instance documentation of the Environmental Health Agency forcing the Landlord to make repairs (thus proving the Letting Agencies nasty behaviour).

If,

You have an Assured Shorthold Tenancy,
    The fixed term has ended,
    You have been correctly served an S.21 notice,

Then,

The landlord can have you evicted for no reason whatsoever.

Comment

Is that it then? No recourse, no legal standpoint given how badly we have been treated?

At least can we not fight against the time period? The 31rst of December is terrible timing.

Many thanks
      Craig

Comment

Have you seen all this Energise? The poster doesn't mention Section 21 or anything.

craigieb. Have you been given written notice to vacate by 31st December? If so, this just means that this is the date AFTER which the landlord can apply to the court to evict you. If he does it via the accelerated possession route this will take another 2 to 3 weeks. If you decide to stay out he wil have to apply to the bailiffs to evict you, which will take another 4 or 5 weeks.

This is all assuming your landlord will do this legally and not just turn up and chuck your stuff out and change the locks.

Comment

Excuse me, but we need a few more facts from you craigieb.

What is the start date and end date of your current tenancy?
          When did you first move in?

On a more nosey front: why have you put up with a bad landlord for three years? I can tell you now I would not put up with such rubbish beyond the end of the first fixed term. At the end of the day you will need to put this down to experience and truly learn from it.

Comment

Grovel

1. Leave earlier - you can give him a month's notice and leave any time after 31 November if that's easier (which I doubt it is, given what you say).

2. Grovel, beg, plead and try appealing to your landlord's better nature to let you stay the extra three months that you want - you could provide written notice of quitting on date X; and promise not to mention anything else about the state of repairs etc (rightly or wrongly) until then. If the guy wants to sell or re-let, then I would have thought that he'd find it much easier to do either of those in April rather than January, so he might be willing to go along with you suggestion on that basis. The boot is firmly on his foot, so abandon any thoughts of compelling him to let you stay, and eat humble pie in profuse quantities.

As others have pointed out, if you simply stay put on 31 December, it will take him a while, and considerable hassle, to get you evicted legally, so that's another option open to you though I wouldn't recommend it. However, if you can somehow ever-so-subtly drop the hint that you'd leave quietly and voluntarily in April rather than having to be evicted in January, that might sway your position; however you run the risk that if the LL perceives that you are threatening him, he'll be even more determined to boot you out at the first available opportunity. So tread carefully there...
            Last edited by Ericthelobster; 31-10-2005, 11:14 AM. Reason: added a bit

Comment

Originally posted by RichieP
              Have you seen all this Energise? The poster doesn't mention Section 21 or anything.
              You missed the IF

Originally posted by craigieb
              Is that it then? No recourse, no legal standpoint given how badly we have been treated?
              After the 31 December the landlord would have to apply to the court to have you evicted, this would give you a few more weeks.

Comment

The tenancy agreement started on 17 March 2002 and ran until 17 sept 2002 (and then it ran on month by month arrangement with no formal written contract).

We have been issued with a section 21.

Its ok to be nosey, the reason we have stayed is the fact it was a nice wee flat but more importantly we can keep our pet cat and the rent was reasonable given the fact it is in York. In fact we're really going to struggle to find anywhere at all in York that is affordable and will take in a pet. So finance is the reason.

The thing is with the letting agency is the fact they do this to everyone of their tenants (at least the small time ones). If we have to move out is their no way we can name and shame them at least? The amount of anguish that they have caused to us and others is intelorable and they shouldn't be allowed to continue with this kind of outrageous behaviour. The only thing we did wrong was stand up for our rights. I can almost say with 100% certainity that they will try and keep our deposit as we have seen them manifiest issues with other tenants properties before.

Comment

The tenancy agreement started on 17 March 2002 and ran until 17 sept 2002 (and then it ran on month by month arrangement with no formal written contract).

We have been issued with a section 21.
                  The S.21 is invalid (wrong dates) they will have to start the S.21 process again when they try to regain possesion giving you at least another 2 months.

When was the S.21 served?

Comment

What’s most important to you:

Getting back at the landlord?
                    Getting back at the letting agent?
                    Finding a new, more comfortable place to live?

Seems to me that you need to reassess your priorities.

The first thing I would do is start looking for a better place to live - RIGHT NOW. The landlord has every right to repossess their property. Sure, you can make the landlord jump through legal hoops to repossess, but what exactly are you clinging to? By your own admission it may be a struggle to find landlords that accept tenants with pets... Even more reason to be searching now.

With regard to the return of your deposit - you’re not at that point yet. One thing at a time.

Comment

The S.21 was served on the 29th of October. I do not understand what you mean though

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy
                        Seems to me that you need to reassess your priorities.

The first thing I would do is start looking for a better place to live - RIGHT NOW. The landlord has every right to repossess their property. Sure, you can make the landlord jump through legal hoops to repossess, but what exactly are you clinging to? By your own admission it may be a struggle to find landlords that accept tenants with pets... Even more reason to be searching now.
                        TBH thats a fair comment but its not that easy at present as I am training for the Parachte regiment (BTW this is part time on top of my civilian job so the military cannot really help in this issue) and my GF works full time as well. I understand your directness and this is what we want to do however at present we have other priorities that were more pressing (hence leaving the move until March).

If we could delay the eviction then that would be fine. As it stands though it seems we have very little legal protection so we'll have to jump through hoops to get moved.

To be honest its stress where I don't need it right now....at my home. So if I could at least stop this from happening to others I would at least feel some satisfaction in knowing that the agency wouldn't be screwing others.

Has justice always been this difficult to come by?

Comment

The S.21 was served on the 29th of October. I do not understand what you mean though

The S.21 needs to cover 2 complete rental periods, in your case 17th to 16th of the month it also needs to say that he requires possesion after the 16th of (month) it has to be the 16th it can only be the 16th, the judge will reject his case for possession, he will then need to start the posession process again a new S.21 a new 2 months notice. If your landlord does not find out about his error he will not be able to get you out before the end of March.

Comment

Are you sure energise? This perhaps me being stupid, but I thought a S21 just had to give AT LEAST 2 complete rental periods, anything over that was ok? Probably just being idiotic.

And, OP, yes this is the problem in trying to force your hand regarding property problems, repairs, etc....once you are out of the fixed term you have zip protection, and a landlord can evict you for no reason. Your best bet is to sit it out, stay after the eviction date and await a court order for your eviction, IMO. Obviously you need to be looking for a property in the meantime. I suggest this as, if you really do want to get back at the LL(which as pointed out should not be number one priority, but as a side issue possible ), the landlord must behave impeccably during this period. If they try and force you out without the court order, it is unlawful eviction, and you could sue for big bucks potentially(and it is in fact a criminal act). I would also be quite tempted to write a letter to the agent, stating you want the repairs resolved withint the next 7 days, and if they are not take the money out of the rent and get them done, sending the bills to the agent + landlord. You are entitled to do this. However with the windows specifically, REPAIR, dont replace, as you would be hard pushed to justify a replacement.
                            Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.

Comment

S21

now this is quite simple if your S21 says or the nearest date then the DJ will let the S21 go and you will then get a court order for your eviction but you can appeal this and that can take quite a while ???

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Renting a flat to a company
                                Raiden328i
                                In the small block were I live the guy below me in the shop me and my wife rent to him wants one of the flats next door which is now empty. He says he wants to stick his workers in it and I am just wondering how it works or if you can do it seeing as you have to register the deposit etc?
                                21-07-2017, 14:02 PM
                              • Reply to Renting a flat to a company
                                MrShed
                                *** UNHELPFUL POST ALERT ***

I've lost track of the number of times I've seen on this forum posts like this. Why would you consider going into business with someone who you dont trust due to previous issues? Walk away.

To answer slightly mroe definitively, you cant have a tenancy...
                                21-07-2017, 14:19 PM
                              • Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
                                MrShed
                                I've just posted something on GDPR and then wondered whether it had been discussed on here before - a quick search implies its never been mentioned.

I thought I would raise a topic to discuss it and the implications on landlords.In effect this is a replacement of the Data Protection Act...
                                20-07-2017, 15:01 PM
                              • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
                                jjlandlord
                                The ones I have mentioned all explicitly state that they are compliant with Privacy Shield.

I mean, as said and repeated, if you are a cloud data provider in the EU and a minimum serious then your service complies with EU law...

Beyond that, they cannot check and be responsible...
                                21-07-2017, 13:54 PM
                                jpkeates
                                The only popular (used by real people routinely) cloud supplier who claims compliance is Microsoft for Office 365 storage (since 2014).
                                None of the other suppliers, as far as I can find out, claim to be compliant - although it's fudged on most of their "help" pages.

I am...
                                A data storage strategy is important because digital storage media are inherently unreliable and all file formats and physical storage media will ultimately become obsolete.
                                21-07-2017, 13:44 PM
                                jjlandlord
                                Read my comments again... Thank you for your contribution to the thread.

Privacy Shield has only been mentioned in relation to compliance with current rules.

As said, I'm sure providers will update their operations to comply with the GDPR,...
                                21-07-2017, 13:33 PM
                                MrShed
                                I feel that GDPR is being misunderstood here (which is common).

Privacy Shield is one tick box (of many) towards GDPR compliance. It allows the "transfer" of data outside of the EU jurisdiction.

However, it doesnt (for example) address the needs for the Data Controller...
                                21-07-2017, 13:25 PM
                                tatemono
                                backblaze is one such "serious" provider... and yet it doesn't let you choose....
                                21-07-2017, 13:15 PM
                                jjlandlord
                                It currently allows to send data to the US legally. As said, if your provider either keeps the data in the EU or complies with Privacy Shield then there is no problem.

I have no doubt that storage providers will adapt to the GDPR so as to continue doing business legally in the EU. Landlords...
                                21-07-2017, 12:20 PM
                                jpkeates
                                I was responding to this point.

And said

Many landlords store data on their phones, laptops and PCs.
                                They don't have a data strategy in place, they just have documents and files that hold personal data.
                                Those are often connected to a cloud service automatically...
                                21-07-2017, 12:20 PM
                              Working...
                              X