Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Served two different S21's by landlord

Hi all. Sorry, but it's me again.....

It just gets worse with these LLs! I moved out of my rental property on 2 May 2008. I gave 2 monts formal notice by email as requested by the agency on the 13th May 2008 - agreeing that the tenancy will end 9th July 2008. The landlord then decided to serve a S21 on all of us in the property to be out by 10 July (which is the day our rent is normally due) 'cause they want to refurbish the place. However - this morning i received yet another S21 notice sent to me by email stating the end date is now 9 August?! They asked me to remove my remaining things by 1st June (I did it by 30 May) and they would then regard me as not on the agreement anymore seeing that i moved out 2 May already. Now they won't tell me why they are not returning my deposit (and no - there are NO damages/arrears/etc) and they also say they don't want to deal with me directly (after 2 and a half years of no hassles between us while i was there) and tell me to write to their lawyer!!

I was informed that because the yearly rent exceeds £25000 that this falls outside the housing act 1988 (I know nothing about the housing act and what it entails!) and that the S21 is therefor also not correct. Where does this leave me?

1. Can I move back into the property for a few months 'till they give me proper notice?
    2. How can they now get me out except for giving me the stated 2 months notice as per our periodic STA?
    3. If I move back on the 12th June - can they then only give me notice to move out as per the following month that rent would be due which is 10 July 2008 - which will make it 9 September?
    4. What if they do give me 2 months notice to move on the 9 September and I refuse to?

Sorry for all the questions, but I need to get this sorted asap.

Many thanks.

As stated on other thread, s.21 and whole 1988 Act do not apply. The Notice is INVALID- geddit?

L can end the tenancy, sure, by a contractual Notice. There is no statutory continuation (because, again, the Act that would create it doesn't apply).
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
      As stated on other thread, s.21 and whole 1988 Act do not apply. The Notice is INVALID- geddit?

L can end the tenancy, sure, by a contractual Notice. There is no statutory continuation (because, again, the Act that would create it doesn't apply).
      Don't you think there's a chance the s.21 notice could act as the contractual NTQ? The Mannai principle and all that?
      Health Warning

I try my best to be accurate, but please bear in mind that some posts are written in a matter of seconds and often cannot be edited later on.

All information contained in my posts is given without any assumption of responsibility on my part. This means that if you rely on my advice but it turns out to be wrong and you suffer losses (of any kind) as a result, then you cannot sue me.

Comment

As we have now been told that a s.21 form could work as a break-clause Notice (but I still have my doubts), you might be right (but ditto).
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

Thanks for that Jeffrey - yeah - i GODDIT aaages ago - therefor the four NEW questions asked in my thread! If you can't politely answer my specific questions asked I would appreciat you rather don't respond to my thread at all then. Much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Confused72 View Post
            Thanks for that Jeffrey - yeah - i GODDIT aaages ago - therefor the four NEW questions asked in my thread! If you can't politely answer my specific questions asked I would appreciat you rather don't respond to my thread at all then. Much appreciated.
            Don't be so sensitive. If you think my anodyne comments impolite, stick around- you ain't met some of our, er, more forthright colleagues!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
              by Lawcruncher
              The requirement comes from the tenancy terms. There are various reasons why a contract term may be void or unenforceable. They include: illegal; impossible; contrary to public policy; statute forbids them to be imposed; unfair. A requirement to keep a dwelling clean and leave it it clean is none of...
              27-01-2022, 22:20 PM
            • Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
              by Piffy
              I use a Letting Agent. Recently the tenants vacated, prior to the tenants leaving when the letting agent did an inspection they advised the tenants that the property would need cleaning before they vacated. The tenants have now left, the place does need a good clean, the Letting Agents have said that...
              27-01-2022, 11:30 AM
            • Reply to Inherited a few rentals
              by AndrewDod
              Almost everything is telling you to sell them - far away, no experience, higher rate taxpayer, current environment
              27-01-2022, 22:04 PM
            • Inherited a few rentals
              by Landlord7289
              Hoping for some advice on this situation from people who may have been through similar...

I am inheriting 4 rental properties from my late father. Are there any tips or ideas people would share about this situation?

My situation is I am early 30s in full time employment, live...
              25-01-2022, 15:02 PM
            • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
              by DoricPixie
              Lawcruncher,

Why does a tenant need to leave the property in a reasonable state of cleanliness if the property wasn't in a reasonable state of cleanliness at the start of the tenancy? Where does the requirement come from? The deposit protection schemes don't appear to take that approach...
              27-01-2022, 21:11 PM
            • Reply to Tenant has moved partner in.
              by Hudson01
              Totally agree, the classic - still the best. They sound like a nightmare and i would be looking to get rid as soon as i could whilst we still have S21, removing kitchen cupboards !!! In a 2 bed flat...... why the hell would you remove part of a fitted kitchen, what are you going to do with the space....
              27-01-2022, 20:41 PM
            • Tenant has moved partner in.
              by Alison Laws
              My tenant who is 4 months into her tenancy agreement has moved her partner in without permission and Im wondering can use this to issue a new tenancy agreement with his name on it. She isn't the easiest tenant and I would also like to add an agreement break to the new tenancy because of the difficulty...
              27-01-2022, 15:30 PM
            • Reply to Is time more important than money?
              by Hudson01
              In general time of course is more important than money, but often it is the ownership of enough money that gives you free time ! The tenants i doubt were thinking in such terms though, they were simply bone idle, i grew up in a dirty house as a child, the time my parents saved with not cleaning did...
              27-01-2022, 20:34 PM
            • Is time more important than money?
              by jpucng62
              Just had tenants move out of a property after 2 years. Always paid on time, perfectly pleasant young family who have now bought their own home BUT:

House was grimy - looks like they didn't clean properly in 2 years rather than anything overtly unpleasant
              Garden was left in a mess...
              27-01-2022, 17:20 PM
            • Reply to Is time more important than money?
              by jpucng62
              The property was inspected - although Covid has it effect - but the tenant is entitled to live as they wish during the tenancy. It only became a problem when they failed to bring the property back to the condition they took it in when they left.

I was just amazed that they could so easily...
              27-01-2022, 19:45 PM
            Working...
            X