Letting out Per Room

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Letting out Per Room


    I have a house which I rented out. Now I want to let it out per room as it has 4 rooms. I would like to know how can I allocate the water, electricity and gas untilities among 4 people? Are there any saftey regs I have to follow? I have searched HMO on this forum but couldnt find any thing useful.

    Has any one done this then I would be greatful if you could share some information about setting this up and any other relevant information.


    Houses in Multiple Occupation

    Your starting point here is to contact your local authority to make sure you can get planning approval for an HMO in your area - councils will not pass these in many residential areas.
    Next you need to get your local authority building inspector and fire officer to asses the property for your proposed new use. You will probably need to do a considerable amount of work to ensure it meets the required safety standards including fire doors, safe passages and hard wired alarms.
    It's a good idea to apply to join your local authority's Landlord Accreditation Scheme if they have one - this will ease your path for what follows.
    Soon, landlords of HMOs will need to be licenced by their local authority - you need to show that you are a fit and propert person, which I've no doubt you are - see out recent newsletters on the Housing Act 2004:
    Bear in mind, there will be fees per room to pay to your local authority in future for licencing.
    See also these pages re: HMOs:
    It's always a good idea to search the main LandlordZONE site as well as the Forum - in fact a Google search brings the about liks up at the top of its list!


      With regard the utilities question, it is much simpler to just say "you sort out your own utilities". Then you do not have to deal with the squabbles of who pays exactly what amount etc....just let them put the bills in their name and they deal with it. This also protects yourself in the case of non-payment of bills etc.
      Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.


        I agree with Mr Shed, as you'll also have to work out how much is used in communal areas.


          I include utilities in the rent, It seems unreasonable to me to expect tenants to accept financial liabilities of the other tenants that you choose.




            Thanks to every one for your valuable input. I have read the information on the links included. From what I understand from them its manditory for propertys that are 3 storeys or more and have more then 5 occupants.

            Mine is just 2 storey and there will be only 3/4 people. Will this HMO licensing still apply or should it be best to check that with my local local Authority which is Birmingham City Council?



              As far as I know the licensing of 3 storeyand 5 people is aimed at bedsit accommodation and self contained flat accommodation, additional and selective licencing would be used for this type of accommodation.

              No Help your property isn't licenceable, although it would still be assessed if needed under the new legislation (April 2006) for the purposes of HHSRS. Thats unless you LA have applied to the secretary of state to have the 3 storey/5 person guideline altered.

              It took me over half an hour on Friday to explain the basics of the housing act, HHsrs and licensing and in the end the landlord said it isn't worth i anymore and is going to sell his property. He wasn't to impressed when I told him the rough costs and also that local authorities are going to charge if they need to issue a notice.


                Originally posted by newboy
                There are pros and cons:
                Sureley it's up to you to to put energy-saving bulbs etc because they just don't give a f.. about amount of the bill. It is impossible to organize them to pay bills as often they dont'konow each other before moving in.
                But because you choose sharers - that helps you to get rid of them in case of non-payment etc. easily as they become lodgers. .
                That does not make them lodgers they are still tenants.


                  I should also add that a local authority can implement additional licensing or selective licensing to specific urban areas of their district.

                  You are right that currently there are quite a few pitfalls in HMO legislation, but under the new Housing Act 2004 hopefully these will be 'plugged' but until the act is tested in court it is impossible to say.

                  But as I say the HHSRS will apply to any dwelling regardless of being a HMO or not.


                  Latest Activity


                  • Accelerated possession possible with section 8?
                    by hazedunks
                    Hey guys just wanted to check if there are no rent arrears and i simply want to recover the property back is it possible to use an accelerated possession order or does it have to be a standard possession with particular of claims form? Thanks.
                    21-11-2019, 00:06 AM
                  • Reply to Unilateral Break Clause
                    by leaseholder64
                    If this is verbatim, it is atrociously drafted. You don't, for example, receive a break clause. I'm still trying to work out how to interpret the smoking clause. I think this would have to go to court before one could say for certain what it means.
                    20-11-2019, 23:40 PM
                  • Unilateral Break Clause
                    by PadHicks
                    Hiya, I'm not good at this kind of thing.

                    I moved​ ​​into a flat in London two weeks ago with a verbal agreement that the other T would not be smoking indoors, at the viewing. This is a joint contract.

                    The contract says: "Smoking inside the property is not permitted...
                    20-11-2019, 23:27 PM
                  • Reply to Online Letting Agents
                    by royw
                    I've used openrent too and been happy with the service though it's been a couple of years since I needed a new tenant.
                    20-11-2019, 22:28 PM
                  • Online Letting Agents
                    by kathekas
                    Based on recommendations on this site we used uPad and we had what we thought was excellent service - sadly they have closed.

                    What are the members current recommendations for online letting agents?

                    Many thanks
                    20-11-2019, 08:26 AM
                  • Reply to Advise when buying a property
                    by jpkeates
                    Don't commit to anything until you have a proper evaluation of "leakages".
                    You can negotiate at any point up to exchange of contracts - after that is possible but can be costly.

                    As for fraud, yes, don't use email to do anything involving money.
                    Ideally your solicitor...
                    20-11-2019, 17:56 PM
                  • Advise when buying a property
                    by alejandrog89

                    We have made an offer to a property in London and we are waiting for the mortgage to come through. However, offer has been accepted and process started. We heard the flat has some leakages so we are asking access to view the property with a plumber so he can tell the work that is needed....
                    20-11-2019, 17:26 PM
                  • Reply to Possession of Property advice
                    by DPT57
                    Have they said anything about why they're not paying the rent?...
                    20-11-2019, 17:55 PM
                  • Possession of Property advice
                    by mirfie
                    Hi, I am currently going through the process of evicting my tenants in a property via for not paying the rent. I'm in the early stages, and will in due course be serving a s.8 notice, but have a question. The rent is paid by the one of the tenants grandparents monthly and from what I understand, the...
                    20-11-2019, 11:50 AM
                  • Reply to Advise when buying a property
                    by Flashback1966
                    Is the leak from the flat above? In which case, that would be access to someone else's property. You don't have a right of entry. Or is it a leak from the roof, in which case, it is a shared building costs (so all the neighbours needs to pay for repairs).

                    If it is a water pipe leak, it...
                    20-11-2019, 17:54 PM