Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resident landlord letting to lodgers- advice please

Hi All,

When a resident landlord offers rooms to tenants, are they advised to issue a normal 6 month AST or would a simple license agreement be sufficient?

Never ever ever give a lodger more rights than necessary.

A lodger is merely a paying guest in a resident landlord's home. When the invitation is over, the resident landlord gives notice equal to the rent period and the lodger must leave. Finito.

Lodgers are also known as a licensee.

An AST is for tenants who have sole use of a rented property without a resident landlord. ASTs and lodgers do not go together.

Where do these ideas come from?

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy View Post

Where do these ideas come from?
      That's a bit rich, given that I've just had to pull you up on 3 absolute howlers in one post in the "Deposit/Compensation" thread.

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...1&postcount=26

Health Warning

I try my best to be accurate, but please bear in mind that some posts are written in a matter of seconds and often cannot be edited later on.

All information contained in my posts is given without any assumption of responsibility on my part. This means that if you rely on my advice but it turns out to be wrong and you suffer losses (of any kind) as a result, then you cannot sue me.

Comment

Six of the best I say! Thwack!!!

Comment

what if..

if lodgers then dont wanna move out and dont even wanna pay rent??
          can the landlord living in the property evict them? change the locks?if he changes the locks what about the belonging of the lodgers? should be put outside the door? outside the street?

Comment

Originally posted by mark2008 View Post
            if lodgers then dont wanna move out and dont even wanna pay rent??
            can the landlord living in the property evict them? change the locks?if he changes the locks what about the belonging of the lodgers? should be put outside the door? outside the street?
            The LL can evict them but not by dragging them by scruff of neck. No physical force. Changing locks when they are out is a classic.
            A good LL should take care of possessions and arrange for them to be collected, without letting lodger back inside for safety. He should make all reasonable effort to contact/trace lodger to collect effects and not bin them or allow them to be stolen by placing outside.
            All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X