Is time more important than money?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is time more important than money?

Just had tenants move out of a property after 2 years. Always paid on time, perfectly pleasant young family who have now bought their own home BUT:

House was grimy - looks like they didn't clean properly in 2 years rather than anything overtly unpleasant
    Garden was left in a mess
    Recycling bin was full of general rubbish
    Door handles removed from doors
    Key broken
    Hole made in a 3 year old carpet
    Cupboard door broken

Nearly all of this could have been rectified by the tenants themselves - they moved out a week or so before the end of the tenancy and were notified of the issues - but it seems they would rather pay someone else to do it than do it themselves.

They have agreed to a hefty deduction from their deposit but I am left wondering why they didn't just do most of it themselves?

Is time the new money?

Sounds like they consider diy, cleaning and gardening beneath them. Many of my tenants feel the same.

My GF pointed out that certain tenants would have had servants in their home countries which they cannot afford here, so cleaning up their mess is left to us mugginses.
    To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Just a general observation, was no periodic inspections during the tenancy? Fine line between a T trying to fix things and messing it up and getting someone competent to do it right..... I know which I would prefer, on the cleaning side, I find that all T's are super excited to be moving into a place, which has been freshly redecorated/refurbished etc, when they leave it's like they don't care and just want to move on again - your lucky they didn't string it along more by disputing the deposit.

Comment

There are those who follow Quintin Crisp: “There is no need to do any housework at all. After the first four years the dirt doesn't get any worse.” Equally, there are those who are obsessive about cleaning. In the middle somewhere is a group who do not feel inclined to take great care of a rented property as they do not feel it is their home - understandable if you live with the possibility of a section 21 notice landing on your doormat.at any moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
          There are those who follow Quintin Crisp: “There is no need to do any housework at all. After the first four years the dirt doesn't get any worse.” Equally, there are those who are obsessive about cleaning. In the middle somewhere is a group who do not feel inclined to take great care of a rented property as they do not feel it is their home - understandable if you live with the possibility of a section 21 notice landing on your doormat.at any moment.
          I thought it would be our fault in some way.
          To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
            There are those who follow Quintin Crisp: “There is no need to do any housework at all. After the first four years the dirt doesn't get any worse.” .
            Haha, I might just try that one 😁. I hate housework.

Comment

The property was inspected - although Covid has it effect - but the tenant is entitled to live as they wish during the tenancy. It only became a problem when they failed to bring the property back to the condition they took it in when they left.

I was just amazed that they could so easily kiss their money goodbye rather than use some elbow grease and get most of their money back.

After 20 years tenants still surprise me 🤣

Comment

In general time of course is more important than money, but often it is the ownership of enough money that gives you free time ! The tenants i doubt were thinking in such terms though, they were simply bone idle, i grew up in a dirty house as a child, the time my parents saved with not cleaning did not lead to more time spent in family pursuits !!! Just more time in the pub.

So no, in your case i would say they were out of order, but in my life i do value time far more than money, and i often turn down the chance of making more of it to spend time with my children and/or wider family, once they are gone it's only regrets that are left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
                  I thought it would be our fault in some way.
                  I am not suggesting it is the landlord's fault. I am just saying that, in some cases, if a tenant feels secure he is more likely to take care of a place.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X