Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gnvqsos
    replied
    AndrewDod talks sense.Make a gesture of empathy by renting a dehumidifier gratis fot their use.

Leave a comment:

• AndrewDod
    replied
    Surely the water will have dried a week later? If it is still wet you and the tenants are going to have bigger problems that a ruined carpet. The flat will become a ball of mould in a few days.

Buy an industrial size dehumidifier and get that carpet out asap

Leave a comment:

• Hooper
    replied
    As a word of warning - it took my insurers two months to arrange a first inspection by their loss adjuster and five months to agree to lift floor coverings to inspect beneath after water ingress in a rental.

As frustrating as it is for you, I don't think that your tenants complaining about the situation is unreasonable.

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Tell the council that you can't do what they ask and move on.

Leave a comment:

• DPT57
    replied
    I think I'd be on the phone every day to the Council insurers demanding an immediate inspection.

Leave a comment:

• Hudson01
    replied
    If i am honest i feel they have a point, they rented a bedroom not a lounge to keep moving their bedding in and out of for a couple of weeks, if you do give a rent reduction then add this onto the bill for the insurers. I assume that the lounge is shared by them all so what if the tenant who's bedroom cannot be used wants to go to '' bed '' earlier than the others..... can they then not use the lounge ?

Leave a comment:

• jpucng62
    replied
    Put yourself in their shoes - they have lost their lounge and the tenant using it as a bedroom has lost their privacy. They are paying for something they are not getting and although it isn’t your fault it is not their fault either.

I would offer them something and try to get it back from the Council or take the hit in the name of good landlording.

Leave a comment:

• DoricPixie
    replied
    Keeping a soaking wet carpet in-situ until such time as the council can come out and inspect doesn’t sound ideal for either the tenants or your property. Have you contacted your own insurers?

Leave a comment:

• DoricPixie
    replied
    And if you don’t meet their demands by the deadline what exactly are the tenants going to do?

Leave a comment:

• Cheetah
    started a topic Water Damage

Water Damage

I have three 20-somethings in an ex-council flat in a block of six. A week ago they reported that the carpet and the furniture legs in the small bedroom had been damaged by water ingress. The tenant in that room had to move into the lounge. The council have accepted responsibility for the damage as they jetwashed the outside landing and the wall adjoining the said bedroom and somehow the water got into the bedroom. It has taken a week to clarify things with their insurers with regard to compensation and next steps. They want the carpet to stay in situ so they can come and inspect. The tenants meanwhile are becoming very argumentative and have demanded a rent reduction for every day the bedroom cannot be occupied. I have done everything possible to get this sorted but cannot do anything until the council insurers give me the go ahead. I cannot see any reason why the tenant in question cannot make the lounge his bedroom until the room dries out and a new carpet is fitted. It is quite a big flat and the other two tenants have larger bedrooms so no-one is really being inconvenienced. They have given me a two-week deadline to get everything sorted and I feel they are being unreasonable as I'm still waiting for the go-ahead from the Council

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X