compensation for no heating or hot water for 2 weeks in winter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jpucng62
    replied
    Providing heaters and a cash sum to pay for the extra cost running them will incur might take the sting out of the situation. I cannot imagine being without heating and hot water for 2 weeks!

Leave a comment:

• L4NDLORD
    replied
    slightly off point you might think at first but stay with it.....i was doing up a fairly good flat on third floor of block and found the gas supply pipe had a smaller bore than as required for a modern combi boiler. So we chucked in a conventional system boiler rated at something like 7 or 8 kw and a tank which of course had an electric immersion back up. The finished installation runs trouble free and is an ideal model set up fr a tenant proof property in so far as its unlikely both forms of heating water will go kaput at the same time

Leave a comment:

• boletus
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Moderator2
    replied
    Originally posted by boletus View Post

Can this be pinned and two or three of the more obscure stickies be removed?
    I would be willing to make a ‘sticky’ thread of something that was more generalised but authoritative about a landlord’s repairing responsibilities etc. but this thread contains a mix of opinions. And yes, a few of those old stickies can be unstuck.

Leave a comment:

• Hudson01
    replied
    I cannot see how a cash sum from the LL will help her children get a hot bath or wash their hands with hot water......but that aside, the real issue is the lack of a water storage tank, with just a combi boiler if this happens again the tenant will be in the same position. I would provide the extra heaters and say you are doing all you can and to boil kettles for hot water in the sinks for any cups etc, in terms of baths/showers it maybe a trip to the local pool or the charity of friends.

Leave a comment:

• boletus
    replied
    Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
    I think a fortnight is reasonable, it's winter and engineers are busy.
    Can this be pinned and two or three of the more obscure stickies be removed?

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    It's the landlord's responsibility to provide heating and hot water.
    It's not the landlord's fault if something breaks.

But there's a world of difference between responsibility and fault.

Heaters are a reasonable replacement for heat, but hot water is more difficult - particularly with children.
    I think a fortnight is reasonable, it's winter and engineers are busy.

I'd be tempted to offer something off the rent or to pay for a hotel room for a night a week, so everyone can have a shower or a bath.

Leave a comment:

• Aps
    replied
    Originally posted by Neelix View Post

so if you didn’t have heating or hot water for 2 weeks, what would you do?
    It happened to me as a tenant for 1 month. I used the kettle and electric heaters and accepted it wasn't the landlord's fault.

Leave a comment:

• Neelix
    replied
    Originally posted by Aps View Post

Exactly, that's what I think. Even a home owner would have to wait. Why should tenants be any different? I have done everything possible as quickly as possible.
    so if you didn’t have heating or hot water for 2 weeks, what would you do?

Leave a comment:

• Neelix
    replied
    A decent LL would be flexible . No heating or hot water for 2 weeks?

that’s bad

Leave a comment:

• DoricPixie
    replied
    Originally posted by Aps View Post

Exactly, that's what I think. Even a home owner would have to wait. Why should tenants be any different? I have done everything possible as quickly as possible.
    I guess you'd need to weigh up her legal entitlement to zero versus her as a tenant. For example, a long standing tenant who was relatively unproblematic I might offer something to keep the relationship cordial. If on the other hand the tenant is a pain in the backside I might be more inclined to tell her to jog on.

Leave a comment:

• Aps
    replied
    Originally posted by davetg View Post
    Have you offered to supply some electric fan heaters - about £20 each
    Going to do that now. They have some but Im going to order some more now. Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Aps
    replied
    Originally posted by DoricPixie View Post

You just have to carry out the repair in a reasonable time frame and it certainly seems as if you acted as quickly as you could. Legally the tenant is entitled to diddly squat in terms of compensation from what you've described. Presumably she has a kettle so could boil it to get hot water and flannel wash at a sink the same as she would have to do if she were an owner-occupier and it took two weeks for a gas safety engineer to fix/replace a boiler.

Leave a comment:

• Aps
    replied
    Originally posted by Neelix View Post
    Is there no immersion tank in the property?
    Hi, no, no immersion heater. Just the boiler.

Leave a comment:

• davetg
    replied
    Have you offered to supply some electric fan heaters - about £20 each

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Gas Central Heating Included in Rent
    by Hudson01
    Given you have an idea of what Kwh's were used before, and if you look at any national news channel there are many predictions on what it will be in April 2023, i would do as suggested above, increase it once, but make it BIG ....... They are looking at an average CAP of £4500-£5000 after the April...
    14-08-2022, 17:27 PM
  • Gas Central Heating Included in Rent
    by patray
    I am trying to work out the best way to recoup some of the increase in the cost of the gas given that we can only put up the rent once a year but the cost is going to be increased in October and probably every 3 months.

It's not possible to forsee how much prices will rise or what help...
    14-08-2022, 14:03 PM
  • Reply to Future Issues for LL and Tenants
    by Hudson01
    Totally agree..... but has anyone told the govt or the developers who still appear to be fitting no solar panels on their new builds...... no heat pumps...... no rain water retention systems...... i could go on but you get the idea, we are useless as a country at preparing for the future, the future...
    14-08-2022, 17:20 PM
  • Future Issues for LL and Tenants
    by Hudson01
    Looking at the news today (similar to yesterday and the day before), they are talking about combined energy bills of 4-5k a year...... by April 2023. There are many properties up north where the combined rental per annum is between 6-7k....... that is insane.

Could we have a situation...
    13-08-2022, 22:08 PM
    by SouthernDave
    Air con and solar panels is the only viable option I can see going forward.
    14-08-2022, 16:04 PM
    by Neelix
    If the gas is included in the agreement, what makes you think you pass this on to tenants ?
    14-08-2022, 15:59 PM
    by ash72
    I can see more problem on the horizon...... The more we insulate our homes the better they are in keeping the heat in, the problem as we all can feel during the last month is the relentless heat which then is trapped inside the home and it's cooler outside then inside.

- We removed wooden...
    14-08-2022, 15:53 PM
    by ash72
    You should fix the tariff if you believe the prices are going to increase every 3 months, then you would have locked in the rate for the next 12 - 18 months, it's only then on the consumption of the utility. Are the flats legally converted if not then it's most likely a HMO property.

I...
    14-08-2022, 15:43 PM
    by theartfullodger
    You are able to propose as many increases as you like as often as you like. If tenant ( stupidity..) agrees and starts paying then that's agreed. If not, stuffed.

However you may only attempt to enforce an increase one a year ("section 13 notice ") and tenant is, quite rightly,...
    14-08-2022, 15:18 PM
    by DPT57
    No it doesn't seem workable. Even if they agree, they could change their mind about further in-year increases. You should probably just increase the rent as a one-off by a fixed amount that both of you can live with, but neither are totally happy with.
    14-08-2022, 14:48 PM
Working...
X