compensation for no heating or hot water for 2 weeks in winter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DoricPixie
    replied
    You just have to carry out the repair in a reasonable time frame and it certainly seems as if you acted as quickly as you could. Legally the tenant is entitled to diddly squat in terms of compensation from what you've described. Presumably she has a kettle so could boil it to get hot water and flannel wash at a sink the same as she would have to do if she were an owner-occupier and it took two weeks for a gas safety engineer to fix/replace a boiler.

Leave a comment:

• Neelix
    replied
    Is there no immersion tank in the property?

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    A prudent landlord would, IMHO, immediately offer a rent reduction as soon as heating or hot water failed. Fairly cheap, takes a lot of the sting out. Doesn't always work but a cheap option.

(The don't start from here answer)

Leave a comment:

• compensation for no heating or hot water for 2 weeks in winter?

Hi, the boiler packed up last Sunday night. I acted immediately and got an electrician to check it out on Monday, plumber to check on Tuesday AND the boiler manufacturer went today. The tenants have been wothout heating and hot water for 1 week and it will take probably another week to receive the new parts and get them fitted/OR replace the boiler. whatever is first. The tenant is asking for compenastion, or to be put up in a hotel as she has 3 children and no hot water or heating. As a landlord am I obliged to offer compenastion? I acted as quickly as I could and surely even a home owner would have had to wait a similar amount of time. I cannot help the time it takes for the plumber to agree to a date to install a new boiler or the manufacturere to check it out and send the parts. Any ideas if I am obliged to offer compensation?

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to re-entry clause any use?
    by jpkeates
    I'm all in favour of talking to the tenant and explaining that the rent needs to be paid on time - always help to make them understand it's an issue and very much not OK.
    Tell them you'll not be able to pay the mortgage on the property.

And, if after that they don't pay promptly,...
    14-08-2022, 19:16 PM
  • re-entry clause any use?
    by hospitality
    New tenant signed contract with LA for initial period 17/06/2022 to 16/06/2022. T was late with initial rent itself (paid in advance), i.e. only paid on 24/06 and took possession. T was again late for the next payment due 24/07. No sign of payment yet.

I understand S8 G8/10/11 notice can...
    12-08-2022, 17:32 PM
  • Reply to re-entry clause any use?
    by hospitality
    As Interlaken pointed, I checked with a friend of mine living nearby & confirmed T is indeed living there with family, and seemingly good life with couple of cars (beemer too) and a van. The suggestion is perhaps they are the type who push the boundaries with others at every instance. It then becomes...
    14-08-2022, 19:01 PM
  • Reply to Gas Central Heating Included in Rent
    by gnvqsos
    The all-inclusive tarrif is dead. It also encouraged wasteful use of resources. There is a way round this dilemma,and as a consultant I have advised many on circumventing rent restrictions, legally, of course.
    14-08-2022, 18:50 PM
  • Gas Central Heating Included in Rent
    by patray
    I am trying to work out the best way to recoup some of the increase in the cost of the gas given that we can only put up the rent once a year but the cost is going to be increased in October and probably every 3 months.

It's not possible to forsee how much prices will rise or what help...
    14-08-2022, 14:03 PM
  • Reply to Future Issues for LL and Tenants
    by gnvqsos
    The writer has a vested interest, facing a rent rise, stripping the article of objectivity. As she works online she could relocate to Rotherham where her rent increase 0f £300 pcm would get a room plus bills...
    14-08-2022, 18:47 PM
  • Future Issues for LL and Tenants
    by Hudson01
    Looking at the news today (similar to yesterday and the day before), they are talking about combined energy bills of 4-5k a year...... by April 2023. There are many properties up north where the combined rental per annum is between 6-7k....... that is insane.

Could we have a situation...
    13-08-2022, 22:08 PM
    by patray
    Thank you DPT57 and Hudson 01. I am trying to be fair to the tenants. We have no idea of what the increases might be only that they will probably be huge. On the other hand the government may step in and help with the cost again.

My idea about keeping it separate from the rent meant I could...
    14-08-2022, 18:45 PM
  • Reply to Future Issues for LL and Tenants
    by Hudson01
    https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/...eneration-rent

This is the sort of nonsense that Gen Rent and Shelter will be pouring into the govt's ears, in time some of it, or all of it..... will stick and we will get turned over again. The more that tenants are seen as...
    14-08-2022, 18:41 PM
    by Hudson01
    Given you have an idea of what Kwh's were used before, and if you look at any national news channel there are many predictions on what it will be in April 2023, i would do as suggested above, increase it once, but make it BIG ....... They are looking at an average CAP of £4500-£5000 after the April...
    14-08-2022, 17:27 PM
Working...
X