Landlord said OK to go before 6 months, but has now changed her mind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlord said OK to go before 6 months, but has now changed her mind

New tenants of mine paid me a £150 cash as holding deposit a few days ago to move into a flat of mine on 1st June. They did this on the basis that their current landlord said it would be OK to go before 6 months reached on their AST as a prospective new tenant had given them a cheque as holding deposit to move into the flat they currently occupy. However the prospective tenants wife saw their current flat, didn't like it & so now they've stopped the cheque. The result is their current landlord says she will hold them to 6 months as per AST & will take them to court if they move out, even though initially she said wouldn't hold them to 6 months.

I personally doubt their current landlord would bother with the expense of a court case. It would be easier for her to re advertise the flat. The landlord will keep their deposit so probably at the end of the day won't even be out of pocket. However my new tenants are very concerned at the prostect of being taken to court. Even if their current landlord took them to court it's her word against the two of them as they both witnessed her saying OK for them to go before the 6 months up.
    Anyone have any thoughts on this matter. Do you think as I do that perhaps my new tenants have no need to anticipate a court case & the threats from their landlord are probably all talk ?

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Electrical Safety Certificate EICR
    by DPT57
    The presence of a plastic consumer unit cover would normally be a c3 hazard, but I understand it could be higher if there are other related risks, such as where there is older wiring or poor bonding. In the end I beleive we will either have to become electrical experts ourselves or find trustworthy...
    03-06-2020, 17:14 PM
  • Electrical Safety Certificate EICR
    by Ozzie11
    Hi

I noticed a new law means landlords need to arrange an EICR for new tenancies after July 2020 or before April 2021.

Please can I get some advice on this? I started a tenancy in May 2020 - this is due to expire in November 2020. However it is likely the tenancy will be renewed...
    01-06-2020, 10:42 AM
  • Reply to Can I Stay in the Property to Make Repairs?
    by jpkeates
    The guidance says that preparing a property for rent or sale is work that is allowed to be done in this phase of the lockdown.
    And staying in another property for work is allowed.

So travelling somewhere to work and staying there overnight is fine.
    03-06-2020, 17:04 PM
  • Can I Stay in the Property to Make Repairs?
    by DJVera
    Hi all - I'm new to this so apologies if this (or similar) has been dealt with somewhere else!
    I own a property in the south west but currently live in London. I've been renting the property out privately. My last tenant moved out in January 2020 and I was planning to get quite a bit of (much needed)
    01-06-2020, 13:38 PM
  • Reply to Can I Stay in the Property to Make Repairs?
    by DPT57
    Yes, I agree about the acting reasonably and interestingly the legislation seems to allow for this too through the use of the word "include"

For the purposes of paragraph (1), the circumstances in which a person (“P”) has a reasonable excuse include cases where....
    03-06-2020, 17:00 PM
  • Reply to My tenant lied to me
    by Uklondoner
    The rent has to be two months or more in arrears? My case the tenant owe me less than two months can still do the form?...
    03-06-2020, 16:50 PM
  • My tenant lied to me
    by Uklondoner
    My tenant lied to me saying he missed the first universal credit payment. But actually according to one of my friend the payment normally only take two weeks to come directly to the bank account. What can I do? Can I find a way to let the universal credit directly make overdue rent payment? I really...
    03-06-2020, 09:54 AM
  • Reply to My tenant lied to me
    by theartfullodger
    As a stupid landlord I take grave exception to your slur, Sir!

Next week, amazing, unexpected, revelations that from time2time landlords lie to tenants.............. and agents from time2time lie to landlords AND tenants... and MPs & a particular special adviser seem to lie to most...
    03-06-2020, 16:22 PM
  • Reply to Access to sheds
    by DPT57
    Possibly, although I was basing my comment on this phrase in the original post:...
    03-06-2020, 16:21 PM
  • Access to sheds
    by endymion
    Hi. We have been renting a flat for the past decade under an Assured Shorthold Tenancy. The flat is one of five in a single block. The back garden contains a large outbuilding comprising ten sheds. Implicitly, then, two sheds per flat. The inventory does contain the wording 'Garages, Sheds, Outbuildings:'...
    03-06-2020, 10:09 AM
Working...
X