Landlord said OK to go before 6 months, but has now changed her mind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlord said OK to go before 6 months, but has now changed her mind

New tenants of mine paid me a £150 cash as holding deposit a few days ago to move into a flat of mine on 1st June. They did this on the basis that their current landlord said it would be OK to go before 6 months reached on their AST as a prospective new tenant had given them a cheque as holding deposit to move into the flat they currently occupy. However the prospective tenants wife saw their current flat, didn't like it & so now they've stopped the cheque. The result is their current landlord says she will hold them to 6 months as per AST & will take them to court if they move out, even though initially she said wouldn't hold them to 6 months.

I personally doubt their current landlord would bother with the expense of a court case. It would be easier for her to re advertise the flat. The landlord will keep their deposit so probably at the end of the day won't even be out of pocket. However my new tenants are very concerned at the prostect of being taken to court. Even if their current landlord took them to court it's her word against the two of them as they both witnessed her saying OK for them to go before the 6 months up.
    Anyone have any thoughts on this matter. Do you think as I do that perhaps my new tenants have no need to anticipate a court case & the threats from their landlord are probably all talk ?

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X