Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leasee123
    replied
    It will definitely affect house prices for your home and other neighbouring homes. It is obvious that many will not even consider it once they found out the house they are buying is next to a social housing facility for mentally challenged people.

It might not be so bad if you were living in an already deprived or run down area. But a family area that is in an average or well to do area will see big negative price impact.

I used to live near a care home for old people. It was sold onto a company offering half way houses for ex-criminals and other mentally challenged people. We decided to sell the house whilst it wasn't so obvious to anyone that it was going to be a halfway house (about 5 years ago now). No planning permission was needed by council or nearby residents (as it was already a commercial use house). Didn't have any questions from our buyer about it (they would have thought it was still an old people's home).

I still keep in touch with a few people living nearby my previous home. The area has definitely gone worse and 1 or 2 who are recently trying to sell are finding it very difficult. More police call outs etc. Such a shame. Used to be a decent family friendly area.

It might not be nearly as bad for your situation as there is only a handful of residents in the halfway house at a time. The one I used to live near to can potentially house 20 residents!

Leave a comment:

• Namaste
    replied
    Originally posted by westbrookdiane3 View Post
    Namaste are you able to direct message me with a contact name?
    I will have a word with her and see how they operate. You could just call CAB, outline the issue and ask to speak to someone with property expertise. I think they will make an appointment for you.

Also look online as some local solicitors offer advice sessions by appointment for CAB clients.

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    Nevertheless, I still wouldn't buy the house next door!

Leave a comment:

• nukecad
    replied
    Artful has a good point, so to balance some of the views above:

Firstly remember that these will be 'residents' on a charity scheme and not tenants.
    Any breach of the scheme rules and they will be quickly removed from the property.

The last thing the charity wants is trouble with the neighbours which could give them a bad name, or even mean they have to close.

We had a very similar scheme open 7 years ago locally. It's about 100m from where I live.

Slightly different as it has 10 bedrooms and is in the old police station rather than a house, but it's still a 'halfway house', a step on the way to getting homeless people back on track to having their own place to live.
    And it's still next door to and across the road from residential properties.

Calderwood House provides an en-suite bedroom and team support for up to three months, and is an abstinence-based project with regular drug and alcohol testing on site. With the right support and each resident’s own commitment, we help them into permanent accommodation and employment. Our outreach worker ensures that they are assisted and encouraged as they move forward to the next step in their lives. We are very proud to be a self-sustaining, independent project which is well supported by our local community.
    There were similar concerns from local residents when it was proposed and opened, but they have proved to be unfounded and there have been no problems from those with a placement at the property at all.

In fact it's become a bit of an asset, with the temporary residents often taking part in community activities such as cleaning the street, looking after flower boxes, benches, etc.

The people placed in these properties are those already making efforts to get back to normality.
    If you like they will be the charity's 'top' clients, the most likely to get back to having their own place.

OK they are often not always the most photogenic of people, but if you see them regularly you see the change in them over the couple of months that they are there.

Remember that schemes such as this have very strict conditions for the residents.
    No alcohol allowed in the house, often no drinking alcohol at all, not even in the local pub, and certainly not on the street.
    Daily/weekly drugs testing.
    Strict monitoring of their behaviour, both in and out of the property.
    Anyone found in breach of the rules is quickly out of the property (before they tarnish the charitys reputation) - again they are residents on a scheme not tenants.

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    Like most groups, organisations, there will be a wide variety of views, politics, football affiliations, opinions punishing or nurturing those in need etc etc etc

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    Won't someone who works for the CAB be all in favour of letting them go ahead?

Leave a comment:

• westbrookdiane3
    replied
    Namaste are you able to direct message me with a contact name?

Leave a comment:

• Namaste
    replied
    You may need professional advice, starting with the drainage issue. A friend (property expert) works for CAB in Woking - don't know if she can advise for East Surrey too. Worth asking.

Leave a comment:

• Hudson01
    replied
    Whoops, as i first feared. The challenging members of the community they mention are the sorts that no one will wish to live next too...... this WILL affect the price of your house, attempt to stop it at all costs. I deal with these individuals on a daily and certainly a weekly basis in my job...... i would be very worried if this was proposed to be near my home.

Leave a comment:

• Lawcruncher
    replied
    https://www.renewedhope.org.uk/

Leave a comment:

• nukecad
    replied
    You have their name there; it's pretty simple to go to their website and see what they are about, (took me about 15 seconds).

In particular look at 'What we do' > 'Hope House'. (Sounds like they only have the one at the moment, so you may recognise the front door in the photo).

Also from the 'News' page
    This week we got the keys to Hope House, a property in Redhill where we will house 4 homeless men! We will work with them to get ready for permanent accommodation and help them work on their individual challenges, such as mental illness, addiction or unemployment. This is a long term project which has been an ambition of Renewed Hope for years and it will mean we can make a much bigger difference to people’s lives. We hope for it to be open in January 2022.

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    Come on. You know this place is going to be a flaming nightmare to live next door to, and it will make it impossible to sell your house. Forget about engaging with them. You have one weapon, that I already mentioned, and you don't want to use it?

Oh, well, don't come crying to us.

Leave a comment:

• westbrookdiane3
    replied
    Many thanks everyone for all your thoughts.

I will look into the HMO as well as planning permission

As it stands now the row of terraces are all two bed but this one next door had a loft extension any years ago so has 3 bedroom. but I guess if they wanted to have more in then they could use the front room as a bedroom as well.

One think we think that we are worried about is when we refuse them access to our land to put in a new drainage then they will just be difficult to work with as well.

I wrote a letter to get a bit more information and this is the replay so it sounds like they are working with the council?

Again any advice is much appreciated. Thanks in advance

<<
    Thank you for your email.

The people who we will be housing will be residents of Reigate and Banstead who have fallen on hard times. The house is for 4 people who will all be referred to us by Reigate and Banstead Borough Council after a thorough referral process. The council will have been accommodating temporarily in the borough - in Redhill and elsewhere.

Once living in our house, they will receive daily support from out staff and volunteer team and there will be regular visits throughout the week.

We are not disclosing the location to the wider public and the majority of volunteers for the safety of our residents and their neighbours.

I hope that reassures you, however if you would like to speak further about our project then I am happy for you to call on the number below or visit us at our office and Drop-In at Shrewsbury Chapel (address below).

Kind regards,
    Anna
    Anna Coe | Project Co-ordinator | Renewed Hope
    Drop-In Hours: Mon-Fri 11am to 3pm; Saturdays 12-1.30pm
    >>

Leave a comment:

• MdeB
    replied
    Originally posted by gnvqsos View Post
    Houses are described as small terraces so will not be HMO.
    Actually described as
    Originally posted by westbrookdiane3 View Post
    it is a small terrace row
    so not clear if it is a small properties or a small row.

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    A pub we went quite a bit before lockdown was next to a bail hostel. Could have been any offence. Always assumed some of the staff were dodgy...

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X