X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DoricPixie
    replied
    Originally posted by jpucng62 View Post

My property portfolio has always been managed by agents, originally through necessity (I was a long way away), latterly through choice (I don't want to be available 24/7). I use small independent agencies and I keep them on a tight rein - but it works for me! I like to have that distance between me and the tenant and only a few, long term tenants have my number. It makes life much easier when you have difficult things to say to tenants!
    Is that not kind of the point. You use a letting agent but you still need to be on top of things and manage the letting agent. None of this I-don’t-need-to-know-what-I’m-doing-because-I’m-using-a-letting-agent-and-can’t-sit-down-and-wash-the-cash-roll-in attitudes seen by some first time landlords and frequently with those ‘accidental’ (vomit) landlords.

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Originally posted by jpucng62 View Post
    My property portfolio has always been managed by agents, originally through necessity (I was a long way away), latterly through choice (I don't want to be available 24/7). I use small independent agencies and I keep them on a tight rein - but it works for me! I like to have that distance between me and the tenant and only a few, long term tenants have my number. It makes life much easier when you have difficult things to say to tenants!
    This is pretty much me, although my agent is very good and doesn't need much "rein".

They have a high street presence, which tenants like (makes the agent more real) and have multiple people to answer phones.
    And they have a mostly female staff, which is a big plus for me.

Leave a comment:

• jpucng62
    replied
    Originally posted by MdeB View Post

Don't trust an agent to do things right.

Leave a comment:

• DoricPixie
    replied
    Originally posted by MdeB View Post

Remember that in law the buck stops with the landlord, not with the agent.
    This with bells on.

Leave a comment:

• doobrey
    replied
    Sound advice indeed.

Leave a comment:

• MdeB
    replied
    Originally posted by AVJ113 View Post
    As a total newb, what would be the one piece of advice you would give after your years of experience as a landlord?

Remember that in law the buck stops with the landlord, not with the agent.

Leave a comment:

• SouthernDave
    replied
    Originally posted by doobrey View Post

I wish it was 1942.

I bet there was nothing bad happening in 1942.
    Lol, nothing bad at all

Leave a comment:

• doobrey
    replied
    Originally posted by SouthernDave View Post
    the way things were 80 years ago
    I wish it was 1942.

I bet there was nothing bad happening in 1942.

Leave a comment:

• boletus
    replied
    Originally posted by theartfullodger View Post
    So all those working people who are or will be eligible for some UC benefit are to be written off as unworthy?
    No, just higher risk.

Leave a comment:

• boletus
    replied
    Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
    I hope she warns the landlords that their policies are now unlawful.
    A decent lawyer could batter that nonsense into the long grass but no one would waste serious money bothering.

Leave a comment:

• SouthernDave
    replied
    Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
    The gov can legislate whatever they want, but they cant change peoples perceptions, and years of commercial experience.
    These decisions are made on a business level, and the last time i checked my company number, it was a limited company and not a charity.
    Its a huge shame, i wish the world wasn't the way it is. i listen to my father-in-law talk about the way things were 80 years ago and everyone seemed a lot more decent

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    It was a general comment for anyone reading it, no thought of it being "aimed" at anyone.

Many end up in receipt of some benefit or other, often IMHO being at least as decent human beings as any highly paid employee, often doing more worthwhile & essential work

Best wishes to all.

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SouthernDave
    replied
    Originally posted by theartfullodger View Post
    So all those working people who are or will be eligible for some UC benefit are to be written off as unworthy?
    if that question is directed at me;
    depending on the specific nature of their income, a decision would be made, luckily, i have been able to be picky on who i have as tenants. the majority of the pool of renters will be in receipt of some kind of benefits, if they were high rollers then they wouldn't need to rent. Its up to each individual landlords to make these commercial decisions, but personally, i go by the advice im given by my sister who has seen it all.

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X