Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

surrender of lease charges

Hi,
    I'm trying to assist a family member who is in the process of surrendering a lease on a shared flat (all tenants moving out). The landlord agreed as the reasons were reasonable. He's sent an email stating that there will be costs that the tenants have to meet, charged by the letting agent for finding new tenants etc. I've tried to do research & read the Tenant Fees Act 2019 etc, stating that the costs need to be 'reasonable' but it seems quite hard to work out what that means. I've read some examples of half a months rent or set charges of a few £100. Are there any guidelines for how these charges are set ? thanks

What can be charged is limited to the landlord/agents actual costs.

The practical issue is that the landlord/agent doesn't have to agree to an early surrender at all, so any dispute about what costs are reasonable or not may result in the surrender being declined.
    That isn't the correct legal outcome, but there is what's right and what happens.

Strictly speaking, the cost of finding a new tenant aren't associated with the early end of the tenancy, because they would have been incurred anyway when the lease ended, they're just being brought forward.
    But I don't think that's a great argument to be making.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I think they are real costs. If you have to pay the costs of 2 new tenancies in a tax year instead of one then it is a loss. However, I agree that the fee has to be limited to the landlords actual costs. I assume that this may mean a partial refund if too much is taken initially, although I've never heard of that happening.

Comment

thanks for the replies. As stated the landlord has agreed (I won't go into details but it wasn't simply that the tenants decided they wanted to move). The problem is that terms like 'reasonable' & 'real' costs don't mean much when there is no way for a tenant to find out what those are except from the people charging them. The landlord seems ok but an agent is an agent & surely there should be some legislation that states what agents can charge & how they prove this are the 'real' costs involved. For example the landlord claims that the agent has a long list of tenants looking for properties, so they shouldn't have to do much in the way of marketing etc.

Comment

The amount the landlord can charge is limited to their actual "loss" and the agent's charges should be "reasonable".

In practice, the landlord's loss is likely to be what the agent charges them for ending the tenancy early, because the agent shouldn't be making money from the tenant for the termination.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

And while it's not a particularly fair thing, the reality is that the landlord can simply change their mind and insist that the tenants continue to pay rent until the end of the fixed term, whether they continue to live there or not.

Comment

thanks. Yes, understood. The agent claim that the costs are what they normally charge for advertising a property / finding tenants, but is that right or should it be a lower cost that only represents the ending of a tenancy early ? What I mean is are those two sets of charges supposed to be different, in law?

also, perhaps someone could clarify this from the lease. In one section it states;

Surrender of the tenancy by the tenant
              Strictly with the landlord’s or his agents prior written consent and subject to certain conditions that may include the landlord’s reasonable costs associated with the re‐letting of the premises, the tenant might be allowed to surrender or give up this tenancy before it could otherwise lawfully be ended.

& in another;

if the landlord agrees to allow early surrender of tenancy without holding tenants to contract (in very rare instances) then a fee of £50 is payable to facilitate necessary documentation and to cover administrative costs

is that £50 amount a different charge than the 'reasonable costs associated...'

thanks

Comment

There's a limit of £50 for changing a tenancy - for example, if one of the tenants is replaced by someone else.

If the outcome is anything less than the remainder of the tenancy rent, the tenants are doing fine.
                Many landlords would decline to early terminate a tenancy now they have no room to agree a compromise with the tenants.
                It's a particularly poorly thought through part of the law.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Renting rooms
                  by Luke
                  No, I have changed my mind , I will not be living abroad permanently , I will probably just go abroad for a few weeks at a time and reside at my UK property for the rest of the time...
                  06-07-2022, 00:17 AM
                • Renting rooms
                  by Luke
                  I have a three bedroom property in the U.K which I will rent out .
                  I have had an enquiry from a couple and a friend
                  I do not intend to live at the property
                  Would it be possible just to rent two rooms to them , on the understanding they have full access to the property ?
                  As its...
                  28-01-2022, 06:09 AM
                • Reply to Renters reform bill
                  by DoricPixie
                  You can thank the tenant with a dog I did let to in the past for now being reluctant to let to other people with dogs and probably cats too.

The fact your income comes for 100% benefits isn’t a hard no though as long as you are able to pass affordability....
                  05-07-2022, 23:15 PM
                • Renters reform bill
                  by flyingfreehold
                  i have just read an interesting summary of all that is proposed in the EG (Estates Gazette). As drafted it effectively brings back a form of rent control as tenants will have the right to go to First Tier Tribunal to challenge any rent increases which must be proposed by section 13 notices.
                  04-07-2022, 16:29 PM
                • Reply to Renting rooms
                  by DoricPixie
                  You’re not though are you? You’re getting these people to rent the property because you’ll be living overseas. The property will cease to be your only if main home.

Maybe you’ll get away with pretending these people are lodgers and these people will move out the property when you...
                  05-07-2022, 23:09 PM
                • Reply to Renting rooms
                  by Luke
                  I do intend staying in the property permeantely though , although I may have to stay elsewhere sometimes...
                  05-07-2022, 21:42 PM
                • Reply to Licensing inspection
                  by royw
                  Sounds like the power has gone to their heads Can't you, or rather the tenants, have some fun? Well placed boobie traps or a fierce dog perhaps?
                  05-07-2022, 21:42 PM
                • Licensing inspection
                  by Section20z
                  Just had letter from London Borough of ****** saying they will be inspecting my house at some time in the next 28 days to ensure licence compliance. No further notice will be given and tenants are expected to grant access to all areas, windows to be left open for air supply, and doors all left open...
                  05-07-2022, 13:57 PM
                • Reply to Renting rooms
                  by ash72
                  You would be creating an issue for yourself, you want to be able to evict a T (for whatever reason) which do not have the same rights as a T on an AST, the problem would be that you would have 2 T's who would have evidence etc, that you never lived there while they lived there...... When someone is...
                  05-07-2022, 21:23 PM
                • Reply to Am I obliged to....
                  by Sydaton
                  It crosses my mind that if you install something that doesn't comply with regulations - eg a rope flush against the wall - then you might be more likely to be opening yourself up to a claim than if you'd left the stairs as they were when you bought the house....
                  05-07-2022, 20:22 PM
                Working...
                X