• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• welshgold
    replied
    Originally posted by jpucng62 View Post

What type / age are these?
    6 Flat s built1990 Approx,and one flat, part of Victorian property. ratings on these just scrape into c range, just rechecked and do have a couple of places on D. but as long as E or above all ok. Out of interest on one of D properties, recommendations to bring it to B would cost over £20,000 - and save £650 per year, that`s the next 30 years sorted then.

Leave a comment:

• Hudson01
    replied

The suggestions to make EPC C - floor insulation (costly); party wall insulation (difficult to get neighbours on board) & storage heaters (no way I'm putting those back in!) - are so unrealistic they will all be sold unless the new algorithm gives electricity the boost it deserves.
    I think the same, wall or floor insulation is simply out, if i cannot get a C without doing that then they are sold 100%. I am starting to think anyway that even if i can get them to a C (by the skin of my teeth)...... what next..... in a year or so it goes up to a B !!! Maybe i just call it a day and move on. There is zero stability thesedays.

Leave a comment:

• jpucng62
    replied
    Originally posted by welshgold View Post

We have 7 properties all electric, no option to install gas or oil, even if we wanted too.And all C.
    What type / age are these?

I have 3 electric properties built in the 1980s (cluster homes) and 1 victorian. The victorian is an E (just) and the others Ds. We are being asked to pay for the failure of building regs!

The suggestions to make EPC C - floor insulation (costly); party wall insulation (difficult to get neighbours on board) & storage heaters (no way I'm putting those back in!) - are so unrealistic they will all be sold unless the new algorithm gives electricity the boost it deserves.

Leave a comment:

• Hudson01
    replied

We have 7 properties all electric, no option to install gas or oil, even if we wanted too.And all C.
    Impressed, i did not think it was possible, can you give some details of what type of property it is .... flat, house, with a cavity etc, and are the heaters Lot 20 storage heaters or panel, just any detail really so see where i am with what i have. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• SouthernDave
    replied
    There so much that needs sorting if they are serious about EPC ‘C’. The current EPC certification will need to get more accurate for starters. Theres been several things that have either been rejected when voted for in the house or they just didnt go ahead with. I think EPC ‘C’ will just be another idea that doesnt go through, or it will be watered down.

Leave a comment:

• welshgold
    replied
    Originally posted by Hudson01 View Post

So your properties are all electric and you have them at a C ?

Leave a comment:

• Hudson01
    replied
    Originally posted by JK0 View Post

I have a couple built in 2001 & 2004 that are all electric & scored C.

I have to say, that the rating inflation is the most insidious part of this nonsense. A property that scored C ten years ago will now be lucky to score a D.

Imagine if you bought a flat in 2025 with a nine year old C rating? You might find you are unable to let it out the following year, if it now scores a D.
    Agree......and it is this which is influencing my decision whether to sell or not, at the moment i am looking to get out, but the timetable is the grey bit. It is simply not stable enough now to invest substantial amounts of money (i am talking here of LL's like me with a couple of properties). I am heading very quickly to retirement and do not want all the continuing hassle which we appear to all be in line for.

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied

I have a couple built in 2001 & 2004 that are all electric & scored C.

I have to say, that the rating inflation is the most insidious part of this nonsense. A property that scored C ten years ago will now be lucky to score a D.

Imagine if you bought a flat in 2025 with a nine year old C rating? You might find you are unable to let it out the following year, if it now scores a D.

Leave a comment:

• Hudson01
    replied
    . We were told need to get rid of storage heaters as convectors more efficient. Only did on one, and tenant tells me they are cheaper to run. ( our properties are all c or above)

Leave a comment:

• welshgold
    replied
    Totally agree with the above, i am in the same position, i cannot sell my properties all at once and i have excellent tenatns i want to keep in the loop and give lots of notice before i ask them to leave. On paper is seems that the high efficiency storage heaters should improve an EPC score but there is nothing about them, currently there are grants to get them fitted for free..... but why apply if they will make zero difference. Bonkers.
    Couple of points, Again some tenants have been in properties over 25 years, how when that has worked well can you tell them their original tenancy agreement is no longer valid, and expect them to sign a new contract. We were told need to get rid of storage heaters as convectors more efficient. Only did on one, and tenant tells me they are cheaper to run. ( our properties are all c or above)

Leave a comment:

• Hudson01
    replied
    Totally agree with the above, i am in the same position, i cannot sell my properties all at once and i have excellent tenatns i want to keep in the loop and give lots of notice before i ask them to leave. On paper is seems that the high efficiency storage heaters should improve an EPC score but there is nothing about them, currently there are grants to get them fitted for free..... but why apply if they will make zero difference. Bonkers.

Leave a comment:

• jpucng62
    replied
    The EPC nonsense is what is causing me the most concern, we all need to know what the new basis for the algorithm is and when it will come in (what what will come in !!).
    The frustration for me is the silence - we have no idea what and when we are going to be asked to do and as 2025/8 edges closer I have to assume the worst and plan to sell because not doing so might leave me in an impossible situation.

Bizarrely, not publishing the bill may still impact the PRS hugely even if eventually we are let off the hook, because you simply cannot unwind a portfolio quickly.

Leave a comment:

• Hudson01
    replied
    On the positive side, might be an influx of health workers looking for rentals in Wales as they lose their jobs in England for being unvaccinated
    To be honest having ready and willing prospective tenants is not the issue.... if anything there are too many applying for the tanancies, it's all that is around the whole sector, i cannot wait until the 12th of never to start the process, the govt are simply out of touch with how business works in this country, The EPC nonsense is what is causing me the most concern, we all need to know what the new basis for the algorithm is and when it will come in (what what will come in !!).

Leave a comment:

• jpucng62
    replied
    On the positive side, might be an influx of health workers looking for rentals in Wales as they lose their jobs in England for being unvaccinated

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    You can still serve a s21 notice (at the moment) and, even though it takes a longer time in Wales, you have ages to pay IHT for property.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X