Wales: New Legislation – your roles and responsibilities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wales: New Legislation – your roles and responsibilities

Registered landlords in Wales today received the information I've copied below. The vendetta against private rental is going to be cranked up yet another level with a new Labour / Plaid pact leading to full rent control. Many tenants will lose their homes before July, rents will rocket prior to the rent control and developers reduce the construction of new properties.

From 15 July 2022*, the Renting Homes (Wales) Act 2016 will change the way landlords in Wales rent their properties. Please read this important update.

The Act simplifies how all landlords rent their properties.

Whether you are a landlord or a letting/managing agent, these changes will affect you.
    Key areas affected by the Act, include:

1. Tenancy Agreements
    Which will be replaced by Occupation Contracts, and provided in writing.

2. Increased Security
    Six months’ notice, as long as the contract isn’t breached. Retaliatory evictions prevented.

3. All properties must be safe
    This includes working smoke alarms, and electrical safety testing.

4. Anti-social behaviour
    A fair and consistent approach for everyone.

5. Succession
    Increased rights to pass on your home.

6. Abandoned Property
    Making it easier to repossess abandoned properties.

Click here for more detail on all the changes.

Over the coming months, the Welsh Government will continue to provide updates and useful information to help you fulfil your obligations as a landlord or a managing agent.

A national awareness campaign will also ensure both landlords and tenants are aware of the changes that take effect from July 2022*.

For all the latest updates, useful documents, and further info click here.

*Welsh Government has announced its intention to implement the Renting Homes (Wales) Act 2016 on 15 July 2022.

What does number 5 mean ???

Comment

Originally posted by Hudson01 View Post
      What does number 5 mean ???
      It means if your tenant dies, their dependants can stay on, I'd have thought.
      To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Wow !!!!! That is somewhat concerning.

Comment

And then they'll wonder why all the rental properties are turned into airbnbs. They block the toilet or the smoke alarm breaks, they refuse to allow access (or the plumber can't come immediately and they don't have to pay rent??

Comment

It also basically imposes a standard tenancy contract for everyone.
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

So if i am understanding number 5 correctly.....if my very good long standing tenant passes away, his or her out of work/drug addled/mental health suffering offspring can take over the tenancy ? Or have i got this totally wrong.

Comment

Only if they've been living there for at least two years, used to be the rule.
                To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

It extends the same rights as a spouse now has in England to other family members and carers who have lived in the property for 12 months previously.
                  The landlord has to agree, but such agreement cannot be unreasonably withheld.

What that means in practice is going to be for the courts to decide.
                  But in theory, one of the tests for reasonableness is "whether (and if so, when) a person would obtain a dwelling (or a dwelling similar to the dwelling affected by the transaction) from the landlord if the transaction did not take place."
                  When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                  Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Rent smart wales! About as smart as a smart motorway or a smart meter....

Comment

smart
                      verb

smarted; smarting; smarts

Definition of smart (Entry 2 of 4)

intransitive verb
                      1 : to cause or be the cause or seat of a sharp stinging pain also : to feel or have such a pain

2a : to feel or endure distress, remorse, or embarrassment smarting from wounded vanity— W. L. Shirer
                      b : to pay a heavy or stinging penalty would have to smart for this foolishness

Comment

They appear to have forgotten that private LLs do this out of choice not because the have to.

I think it may start to become very difficult for people to rent a house in Wales soon!

Comment

I do wonder if this nonsense will be coming over the border in the future...... as if the S21 and EPC C is not enough.

Comment

4. Antisocial behaviour…..a fair and consistent approach to everyone. No. 4 is then not mentioned in the extended information (click link). Surely this needs explaining in detail or, maybe, they haven’t actually thought further that the nine words used. No surprise.

Comment

Originally posted by Hudson01 View Post
                              as if the S21 and EPC C is not enough.
                              neither of which have been legislated...

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X