Paperwork/Process for a New Tenancy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paperwork/Process for a New Tenancy

Ok, i have a few properties but have always gone down the tenant find route so although i know enough about what is needed, where to find it when a new tenancy is about to be put in place is something i have not dealt with. A good firend of mine has a property which he will be showing a prospective tenant around and she comes from a friend of mine..... so no agent involved to do the usual credit checks/right to rent etc.

So, if the prospective tenant comes over ok and he wants to take it to the checks, where are we looking to go.

Openrent for the credit checks ........ look on line for an EPC assessor ......... where is the best place to get an up to date AST ?...........ensure it has an EICR (there is no gas). What about the right to rent checks ?

I have not done all this myself in the past but he is keen to do it all himself but he knows a lot less than me !!! And that is not that much........

So any tips ?

Don't rent to friends! Generally is not done correctly and when it all goes wrong eviction is messy!

Comment

The best checklist I know is the one that's part of the government's model tenancy agreement.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpucng62 View Post
        Don't rent to friends! Generally is not done correctly and when it all goes wrong eviction is messy!
        The prospective tenant is not my friend, i do not know them,she is a friend of one of my tenants.

Comment

Use the Gov. How to rent guide, it gives you all the compliance paperwork you need to provide to a new T.

Comment

Cheers, i will Google now.

Comment

Im confused as to who owns the property and as to the friend of a friend , im a bit lost

Comment

Originally posted by alice123 View Post
                Im confused as to who owns the property and as to the friend of a friend , im a bit lost
                Sorry, i will clarify....... i own a few BTL's and i have a very good friend who has just recently purchased his very first BTL, he has just finished a refurb on it and wants to rent it, one of my tenants who has been with me for years has a friend who is looking for such a property, so i suggested they view it (my friend has agreed), if this viewing goes well then we need to think about getting all the checks and paperwork done, my properties were all tenanted via agents under a tenant find service so i have not had to deal with the papework side from the get go and all the checks etc, so i am looking for a bit of advice for my friend on how to go about it. Sorry for any confusion.

Comment

Tell them to join NRLA and use all their model documents.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X