Deposit Return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nukecad View Post
    The deposit cannot be returned before the tenancy has ended because those are the rules of the Deposit Protection Scheme.
    They are meant to hold your deposit until you are no longer liable for renting the property, and so can't/won't release a deposit before they have proof that the tenancy has ended..
    You must be able to release a deposit before the end of a tenancy, in the event that it was protected late it has to be returned in order to serve notice.

Once a deposit is returned there is no longer a deposit, so nothing needs to be protected.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thank you all.

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
        You must be able to release a deposit before the end of a tenancy, in the event that it was protected late it has to be returned in order to serve notice.
        I was simplifying for the OP.

At the LL's request the DPS can return the deposit to the tenant.

But a tenant cannot request the DPS to return of their deposit before the tenancy ends.

(A tenant could request it from the LL, who if they agreed could then request that the DPS return it to the tenant).

Comment

Originally posted by nukecad View Post
          The deposit cannot be returned before the tenancy has ended because those are the rules of the Deposit Protection Scheme.
          That isn't correct. It can be returned at anytime. (Although it can take them a while to process.)

Comment

boletus See my clarification above, it was posted earlier but it had gone to moderation so I assume it couldn't be seen when you posted.

Comment

Just an update:

They repeat another inspection on the last day of our tenancy. Again, they found a few things to deduct which we did not agree with as I have photos to prove otherwise.

The landlady is not happy with the cleaning of the oven, hob, and extractor fan. They where charging me £150+ as they want the service from a particular cleaner. I double checked the site and it only costs £101. (Where did the £50+ came from!!!) I told them, I am happy for them to have it re-clean at my cost. Change the charge to £101. I did not want to argue anymore nor want to use other cleaners as they might break something or have other issues costing me more £££.

Also, they want to charge for a broken part of the door. Again, did not argue with repair costs.

The LA told me they will send photos next week and will arrange return of our deposit. I told them, I really don’t need proof and just want my monie back.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X