Deposit Return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nukecad View Post
    The deposit cannot be returned before the tenancy has ended because those are the rules of the Deposit Protection Scheme.
    They are meant to hold your deposit until you are no longer liable for renting the property, and so can't/won't release a deposit before they have proof that the tenancy has ended..
    You must be able to release a deposit before the end of a tenancy, in the event that it was protected late it has to be returned in order to serve notice.

Once a deposit is returned there is no longer a deposit, so nothing needs to be protected.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thank you all.

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
        You must be able to release a deposit before the end of a tenancy, in the event that it was protected late it has to be returned in order to serve notice.
        I was simplifying for the OP.

At the LL's request the DPS can return the deposit to the tenant.

But a tenant cannot request the DPS to return of their deposit before the tenancy ends.

(A tenant could request it from the LL, who if they agreed could then request that the DPS return it to the tenant).

Comment

Originally posted by nukecad View Post
          The deposit cannot be returned before the tenancy has ended because those are the rules of the Deposit Protection Scheme.
          That isn't correct. It can be returned at anytime. (Although it can take them a while to process.)

Comment

boletus See my clarification above, it was posted earlier but it had gone to moderation so I assume it couldn't be seen when you posted.

Comment

Just an update:

They repeat another inspection on the last day of our tenancy. Again, they found a few things to deduct which we did not agree with as I have photos to prove otherwise.

The landlady is not happy with the cleaning of the oven, hob, and extractor fan. They where charging me £150+ as they want the service from a particular cleaner. I double checked the site and it only costs £101. (Where did the £50+ came from!!!) I told them, I am happy for them to have it re-clean at my cost. Change the charge to £101. I did not want to argue anymore nor want to use other cleaners as they might break something or have other issues costing me more £££.

Also, they want to charge for a broken part of the door. Again, did not argue with repair costs.

The LA told me they will send photos next week and will arrange return of our deposit. I told them, I really don’t need proof and just want my monie back.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Renting rooms
                by Luke
                No, I have changed my mind , I will not be living abroad permanently , I will probably just go abroad for a few weeks at a time and reside at my UK property for the rest of the time...
                06-07-2022, 00:17 AM
              • Renting rooms
                by Luke
                I have a three bedroom property in the U.K which I will rent out .
                I have had an enquiry from a couple and a friend
                I do not intend to live at the property
                Would it be possible just to rent two rooms to them , on the understanding they have full access to the property ?
                As its...
                28-01-2022, 06:09 AM
              • Reply to Renters reform bill
                by DoricPixie
                You can thank the tenant with a dog I did let to in the past for now being reluctant to let to other people with dogs and probably cats too.

The fact your income comes for 100% benefits isn’t a hard no though as long as you are able to pass affordability....
                05-07-2022, 23:15 PM
              • Renters reform bill
                by flyingfreehold
                i have just read an interesting summary of all that is proposed in the EG (Estates Gazette). As drafted it effectively brings back a form of rent control as tenants will have the right to go to First Tier Tribunal to challenge any rent increases which must be proposed by section 13 notices.
                04-07-2022, 16:29 PM
              • Reply to Renting rooms
                by DoricPixie
                You’re not though are you? You’re getting these people to rent the property because you’ll be living overseas. The property will cease to be your only if main home.

Maybe you’ll get away with pretending these people are lodgers and these people will move out the property when you...
                05-07-2022, 23:09 PM
              • Reply to Renting rooms
                by Luke
                I do intend staying in the property permeantely though , although I may have to stay elsewhere sometimes...
                05-07-2022, 21:42 PM
              • Reply to Licensing inspection
                by royw
                Sounds like the power has gone to their heads Can't you, or rather the tenants, have some fun? Well placed boobie traps or a fierce dog perhaps?
                05-07-2022, 21:42 PM
              • Licensing inspection
                by Section20z
                Just had letter from London Borough of ****** saying they will be inspecting my house at some time in the next 28 days to ensure licence compliance. No further notice will be given and tenants are expected to grant access to all areas, windows to be left open for air supply, and doors all left open...
                05-07-2022, 13:57 PM
              • Reply to Renting rooms
                by ash72
                You would be creating an issue for yourself, you want to be able to evict a T (for whatever reason) which do not have the same rights as a T on an AST, the problem would be that you would have 2 T's who would have evidence etc, that you never lived there while they lived there...... When someone is...
                05-07-2022, 21:23 PM
              • Reply to Am I obliged to....
                by Sydaton
                It crosses my mind that if you install something that doesn't comply with regulations - eg a rope flush against the wall - then you might be more likely to be opening yourself up to a claim than if you'd left the stairs as they were when you bought the house....
                05-07-2022, 20:22 PM
              Working...
              X